PDA

View Full Version : any one fish donner creek or cold creek?

fat_fish
08-21-2008, 10:17 PM
any info would be nice before i go scouting on tues. *or would the river on the west end be better. *1st time there. *will post w/pics.

thanks,
ff

nateb
08-22-2008, 05:49 AM
Heading up there today around 1pm. Hopefully be able to give a report this upcoming Monday!

fat_fish
08-22-2008, 08:56 AM
good luck nate-i'll be leaving tues. afternoon.

ff

M_Man
08-22-2008, 06:14 PM
I used to fish Donner Creek on Opening Day every year...They stocked the stretch thru the State Park, though I haven't done so the last few years.

If you go way upstream of the Lake, you'll find some major beaver ponds. They used to hold some pretty nice Brook Trout.

I live in Truckee, and I usually hit the Little Truckee River above Stampede...you get there like you're going to Jackson Meadows and fish it upstream from HWY 89N

The Little Truckee above Boca is good, though it's Special Regs now...barbless, single hook artificials...not sure of the take allowance...check your DFG Pamphlet.

johnbfishin
08-23-2008, 11:07 AM
I've fished Cold Creek though it was years ago, I did catch some Brookies. There was a lot of no trespassing signs and I don't imagine that has changed much.

bclemens81
08-24-2008, 05:34 PM
little truckee is open all yr round, artificials, barbless, 0 take limit. very harsh regs, and dfg is always driving by looking for poachers. its bad up there.

fat_fish
08-24-2008, 07:00 PM
i'll stick close to donner creek and cold creek lookin for brookies. *thanks for the tips JB & MM.

ff

fat_fish
08-24-2008, 11:47 PM
(103.5) little truckee River (Sierra and Nevada
cos.) from Stampede Reservoir Dam downstream
to Boca Reservoir.
Last Saturday in Apr. through Nov. 15.
Maximum size limit: 14 inches total length.
Only artificial lures with barbless hooks may
be used.
bag limit-2

what r the regs above stampede? none?
i think i'll explore these areas as well.

thanks,
ff

johnbfishin
08-25-2008, 08:17 PM
I was going to say that after two bad water years I wouldn't put much faith in Cold Creek being real fishable so you're probably on the right track.
It would be nice to hear what you see up there though. ;)

fat_fish
08-25-2008, 09:59 PM
definately will report w/ pics good or bad... i'm planning on fishing stampede 2 times, donner 2-3 times, donner creek to the truckee, prosser creek to the truckee, and the little truckee, as well as the trophy trout section. been readin and studyin hard.

ff

Jigster
08-26-2008, 11:55 AM
Anyone have any luck up there? I'm planning to be up there this weekend.

J

fat_fish
08-26-2008, 08:02 PM
fished truckee r for 15 min had one strike @ mouth of donner creek. beautiful. fishin stampede in morn.

ff

Jigster
08-28-2008, 09:01 AM
Gook luck Fat Fish, maybe I'll see you up there this weekend. Please post your results.

J

fat_fish
08-28-2008, 02:20 PM
sounds good j-i don't know if i'll try stampede again tomorrow morn. or go to donner before the lice infect the lake for the weekend. went to prosser creek reservoir and caught 6 rainbows to 15". i toplined lead core from 6:45 to 10:20 with crawlers and flashers being the best offering. the 4 i kept were nice holdovers. the other two were bleeding from their cope pod sores. gross sight. the fish in front of the dam are in good shape, and thats where i got the 4 good ones.

ff

cjskier
08-29-2008, 07:09 AM
sounds good j-i don't know if i'll try stampede again tomorrow morn. or go to donner before the lice infect the lake for the weekend. *went to prosser creek reservoir and caught 6 rainbows to 15". *i toplined lead core from 6:45 to 10:20 with crawlers and flashers being the best offering. the 4 i kept were nice holdovers. *the other two were bleeding from their cope pod sores. *gross sight. *the fish in front of the dam are in good shape, and thats where i got the 4 good ones.

ff

Bleeding from their sores? I was just there the other day trolling, caught about a dozen trout all 12-15 inch and all but one had fairly bad cope pods, but did not seem to be hurting them. They are nasty though, I have never seen the cope pods until then, at ANY lake. Prosser all the sudden has gotten bad, never seen a fish from there with cope pods before, and I have pulled several hundred fish from there. Must be a bad summer for them.

cjskier
08-29-2008, 02:12 PM
Went out to prosser for a couple hours again today. Caught 3 12 incher's, between 9:30 and 11:30. One was really hurting from sores. There has to be a solution to this problem.

Edit: I should add, all these fish look like recent planters. None look like a hold over. Hatchery problems?

bclemens81
08-30-2008, 05:35 PM
i dont know where you got those regs, those are the old ones, but trust me its a 0 limit. when you drive up that road along the lil t, you will see catch and release. again trust me from the mouth of the lil truckee all the way up to stampeed dam its catch and release 0 limit, barbless, artifical lures only.

i fish it all that time, and those are the old regs, now its open yr round, but 0 limit, and arts lures barbless.

call dfg, or some other fly shop or something they will say the same thing. if you dont believe, just look on the dfg site, or call around.

i would hate for you to keep a fish and then go to jail. it wouldnt be pretty.

dont believe everything you hear, read before you fish it.

0 LIMIT, CATCH AND RELEASE, ARTIFICAL LURES, BARBLESS

fat_fish
09-01-2008, 11:04 PM
bclemens81-thanks for the heads up. drove by on my way back to truckee from stampede and saw the signs. it's wierd, i copied those regs off of the dfg web site. pretty area though. didn't fish it. hit the lakes instead. i found out that those aren't cope pods. they are a parasite, so i threw my 4 fish away :'(. i'm pretty sure i got a few holdovers though, as the flesh was firm and pinkish and they were larger and firmer than the others. most of the recent planters were identical and like 11-12".

ff

Jigster
09-09-2008, 08:49 AM
Hey guys,

I fished the Truckee River below Boca Dam, South of the railroad tracks. *There's some nice holes at the confluence of the Boca runoff and the Truckee. *Caught a small Brown on a Roostertail just before noon. Nice colors, no pods or parasites.

The sign there said bag limit 2 until Nov. 15. *I checked the current regs and saw the same thing Fat Fish saw. *The 0 bag limit is Nov. 16 through Mar. 31 (103.5).

J