PDA

View Full Version : MCswain and McClure

LJ
09-04-2008, 07:10 PM
Hi, we are going to Mcclure next weekend for one last fishing/wakeboarding/fishing trip of the year. Anyone have any reports from either Mcswain or Mclure lately?
Thanks

shadbuster
09-04-2008, 07:49 PM
I haven't been to those lakes in a while (I try to avoid them during the summer) but McSwain produces trout all year long I always had great success fishing from the bank by the dam to the right of the dock using power eggs. *Although I hear that the lake has been way low recently but the fish are still there. Good luck out there.

FresnoJack
09-05-2008, 05:02 PM
McSwain Reservoir

**Trout

Diana Mello at A-I Bait in Snelling said trout action has slowed with the recent heat wave, but the lake was planted heavily by both Calaveras Trout Farm and the Department of Fish and Game prior to the holiday weekend. The best action for trollers is on chartreuse Wedding Rings tipped with crawler, blade/crawler combinations or Cop Car Needlefish from the dam to the second fence line at depths of 30 feet. Rainbow or chartreuse Power Bait is working from the bank at the Brush Pile or the handicapped docks. A DFG plant is scheduled this week.

McClure Reservoir

**Bass ***Trout *King salmon *Kokanee ***Crappie ****Catfish

Diana Mello of A-I Bait in Snelling reported fair bass action from the surface to 25 feet with the best action on live minnows or crawdads. There is a top water bite in the morning or evenings with brown/purple Berserk Jigs or RoboWorms in Margarita Mutilator colors on the drop shot working in Piney, Cottonwood or Temperance Creeks. Trout fishing has been good from Barretts to Bagby up the river arm at depths from 25 to 35 feet with chartreuse Wedding Rings tipped with a crawler behind a dodger. The first buoy line to the dam is also a good area. The limits have been generally on the small side, but a 3.75-pounder was landed on fire tiger Apex lure. The trout action under lights at the houseboats with medium minnows has been excellent. Crappie also are hitting small minnows or minijigs under lights near the dam and in Cottonwood Creek at depths from 35 to 45 feet. The bite has slowed a bit, and you need to be prepared to lose some tackle as the fish are holding tight to the trees or rocks. Catfishing is outstanding for fish from 2 to 9 pounds with night crawlers or cutbaits in 12 to 15 feet of water near muddy, sloping banks. Kokanee reports haven't materialized this year. The lake dropped over 4 feet this week to 721.42 feet in elevation.

http://www.fresnobee.com/372/index.html