PDA

View Full Version : Pine grove

jiggity49
08-22-2008, 07:55 AM
taking the family up to the pine grove area for some camping next weekend and I've never camped up that way or fished any rivers over there. Heck, I don't even know what rivers/creeks are up that way. Probably the Moke? or whatever rivers feed Pardee and Camanche? I would like to take the kids out for their first stream fishing experience for trout. Something easy like driftin eggs or crawlers would be good. No need to get into big fish just some little planters would be great! ;)I'll have to take a look at google earth to see what I can find around there. I would think they would stock bows in most of the creeks up that way right? Any info would be great, thanks guys!

yayafisherwoman
08-22-2008, 12:37 PM
Phishindad,
Are you camping at Jelly Stone Park? Tabeau reservior is just about 4-5 miles from Pine Grove! it's a small body of water but there are some nice fish in there. I hear wax worms are the ticket. You have Pardee, Amador and Camanche down towards the Jackson/Ione area, about 30 min drive and you have the Tiger Creek Power house up in Pioneer (Buckhorn). Oh, there's also the Moke river off of Electra road out of Jackson. You should be able to see those areas on Google Earth. I hope you guys have a great vacation.

YaYa

SHigSpeed
08-22-2008, 12:51 PM
Is that Tabeau lake bassy or trout? Both? :)

Fee to fish/launch?

Thanks for the info! The fam and I are going to Jellystone over Labor Day and I was looking for some close by waters...

_SHig

atavuss
08-22-2008, 06:35 PM
Is that Tabeau lake bassy or trout? *Both? :)

Fee to fish/launch?

Thanks for the info! *The fam and I are going to Jellystone over Labor Day and I was looking for some close by waters...

_SHig

there are brown and rainbow trout, don't think there is anything else in there. *free to fish, no launching though as it is a drinking water lake, no motors allowed but I think you can use rafts, kayaks, etc. as long as no part of your body touches the water. *might be rattlesnakes in that area too.

jiggity49
08-22-2008, 10:16 PM
Yes jelly stone is where we are camping never been up that way before. If there is a lake with good trout fishing from shore then that would be ok. I would like to find a nice stream though that has some easy access for the kids since we fish lakes for trout all the time and I would like to give them a new experience. I am familiar withe the bigger lakes around there like cam. and amador and would rather try some new water. Thanks for all the help, keep the suggestions comin ;D

bjaymot
08-22-2008, 11:37 PM
Phisndad, Lake Tabeau is a good litte lake and is kid friendly, There is a picinc area and porta potties also. There are some good size bow holdovers in there also, Also good is Tiger Creek res.it is pretty good for kids also, and there have been nice size browns as well as bows taken out of them, Both lakes are trout only waters.
bjay {Bob }

atavuss
08-23-2008, 08:17 AM
phsndad, would you be kind enough to give us a report of Jellystone Park when you get back?

jiggity49
08-23-2008, 10:25 AM
Sure I've never been there before so it'll all be new to me. I am not sure how much fishing we'll be doing but I'll report back on both fishing and the campsite ;)

jiggity49
08-23-2008, 10:32 AM
By the way what tech. work best at lake tabeau? I would think pb or crawlers, small spinners/kastmasters? Also where on the lake is the best fishing? like is there a stream that feeds the lake that is easily accessable? Also is there a fee to get in there? I'm trying to find some info by googling it but not having much luck >:(

YakMotor
08-23-2008, 01:53 PM
I'm not sure what shape it is in now for fishing, but you might try the Middle Fork of the Cosumnes at PiPi Valley. *There is a popular campground there and even a long handicap wheelchair deck for fishing access. *This shot was taken just below the bridge that crosses the river before coming to the campground. *It's a pic I posted on another forum and sized too large to see completely here. *If you right click on it you can save it to your compter to view there. *shot 8/13/05.
http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/5518/cosumnesrivermfatpipi80ds2.jpg
I used DeLorme Topo 6 to check the route from Pine Grove. *It's a total of 21 miles. *Go up 88 16 miles then turn left on Omo Ranch Road. *About 1 1/2miles you'll see the sign and a place to pull over to enjoy a scenic view before turning right on North - South Road. * Iit's about 4 miles downhill to the river. *Please post pics and results if you go.

jiggity49
08-23-2008, 02:45 PM
Will do yak! thanks for the info!

Float_N_Fish
08-23-2008, 08:33 PM
I'd take the kids up to Silver, maybe you can see some results of the Caples fish transplantation operation. *We are going up Thursday for the Friday AM work crew and will hang out at Silver on Saturday. *Haven't heard, but maybe DFG will toss some fish in the fork out of Silver if the water conditions are right.

Enjoy vacationing in the area... [smiley=yahoo.gif]

FF

atavuss
08-23-2008, 08:52 PM
By the way what tech. work best at lake tabeau? *I would think pb or crawlers, small spinners/kastmasters? *Also where on the lake is the best fishing? like is there a stream that feeds the lake that is easily accessable? *Also is there a fee to get in there? *I'm trying to find some info by googling it but not having much luck >:(

I have not been there for years but it used to be free to enter and free to fish. we used to use worms and salmon eggs, that was before there was PB though (shows you how long ago it has been since I have been there). no streams entering or leaving the lake. supposedly some browns near the back of the lake where the water enters via pipes and pumps.

jiggity49
08-25-2008, 09:16 AM
Thanks for all the help guys. I've recieved some helpful pms too ;) I'll be sure to let everyone know how I do ;D

SHigSpeed
09-01-2008, 07:52 PM
So the family and I and some friends stayed at Jellystone over LDWeekend. Nice place, a little on the shabby side for now, but the owner is planning bigger and better. I guess the place has a sordid history...

Anyway, fished Tabeau for a morning. Very nice little lake. Took the pontoon boat. Fished from pre-dawn until around 9:00 with no takers on dry flies (fish jumping everywhere!).

Switched to a small floating Rapala in a perch pattern and caught 6 small rainbows before noon.

Couple of pics to share:

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t177/shigspeed/Fishing/Lakes/Tabeau/DSCF9106.jpg
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t177/shigspeed/Fishing/Lakes/Tabeau/DSCF9111.jpg

_SHig

jiggity49
09-01-2008, 09:00 PM
Shig, *I think you must've been out Sunday morning because when I was taking the boys out to the spot we banked it at I saw what looked like your pontoon out on the lake and i think it was around 9 am or so. We saw the toon' out in the lake when we drove over the dam, we were in a grey mini van. *Anyways, *my kids had a blast out there and want to go back again. *They enjoyed the mini golf course( it needs a lot of work ::)) and the horse shoes, and getting to meet Yogi Bear. *The campground all around seemed to be pretty well kept as far as cleanliness, but some of their facilities needed some upgrading such as their so called mini golf course ;) *The staff was very friendly and helpful and went above and beyond service wise from what I normally expect from a campground host. *Examples of their good service included, lending my brother in law some things he forgot at home for hook-ups on his trailer, and even on sunday we went down and asked when was the last time we could take the kids to see Yogi they said he was done for the night and we could see him at 9 am the next morning but we said we were going to be on our way out by then and wouldn't get to see him. *An hour or so later here comes Yogi down to our camp site which was a little out of the way of most of the other campsites as we had our own little turn out with several campsites all for our group, all weekend whenever he made the rounds to the campsites he always missed ours because it was far off to the side, and without us asking, even with the suit being put away for the night, they got some one to come down there and be sure the kids got to see Yogi before they had to go home, that really impressed me. *We are already planning a trip back some time next month ;D
* * Now for the fishing. *Friday we got up there late in the day, so we set up camp, and me and my oldest made our way down to tabeau lake to a nice little spot that Hunkfisher was kind enough to provide. *Thanks man, with my limited fishing time your help enabled me to get the kids on fish quickly and keep them occupied and happy! *Fri was mostly recon as I just wanted to find the spot as it was pretty far off the beaten path :-X *Spent about 20 mins fishing that evening for 4 bites 1 landed on a panther martin and another landed on salmon eggs. *Came back by my self early Sat. am from about 6 to 9 am and tore em' up! *Landed at least 30, probably more, mostly drifting eggs and a few on lures. *None of the fish landed were big at all, but, all of them were very beautiful fish all in the 9"-12" range. *Took the boys back with me on Sun. and the water was a little higher so the fishing was a little tougher but in a 2 hour period between the 2 of them they landed like 14 or 15 or so all the same cookie cutter size and they had a blast. *Most all of the fish were released unharmed except for a few bleeders we were forced to keep. *Crimped down the barbs on all the hooks and tried to keep the hook sets quick to cut down on swallowed hooks. Only ended up having to keep 3. *All in all it was a fun trip, not exactly roughing it with 2 30' trailers there at such a developed campsite ::) *But good for the little kids and the wife. *Thanks again Hunkfisher, I never would've had such success with the fishing part of the trip without your help!! Hope to see ya out at Amador this fall ;) *I'll try to post up some pics in the morning tomarrow since I have to head out to work now :P Grave shift stinks ;D

atavuss
09-03-2008, 07:57 PM
the place has a sordid past?! do tell! sounds interesting! :o

SHigSpeed
09-03-2008, 08:55 PM
Heh... From what I hear what is now Jellystone was once a trailer park, kinda seedy at that... At some point there was a homicide there as well. I believe that it was then re-opened as a campground by another outfit before it was converted to a Jellystone franchise.

Looks like a promising place though. Not the nicest as of now, but we all had a good time and didn't go in expecting a Sandals resort! :)

_SHig