PDA

View Full Version : Heenan Reports ?

GCinGV
08-30-2008, 05:55 AM
Any Heenan reports?
A buddy fished yesterday (Fri) until 4:00, bouncing nymphs along the bottom for 9 fish to 22.
He said water temps were 64 to 66 and the weeds are down and the fish were deep.
Thinking about going up tomorrow.
GC

Captain_Kaos
08-30-2008, 01:37 PM
Yesterday was my first time fishing Heenan. Got a late start, didn't hit the water till 9:30. As I was walking down to the water, there were 4 guys leaving and they all got skunked. I was thinking this could be a tough day and was glad that I had over slept. I was anxious to get started so I quickly tied on a Scud instead of the Bugger with a *dropper and a Scud tied on it. So I launched my floattube and paddled east about 50 feet from shore. Within 10 minutes I got hit and landed a beautiful 22 incher. This was my first Lahotan Cutthroat. *;D Unfortunately I didn't get a weight on him. I have an old spring type scale with the tape measure built in and I couldn't get the scale to work. :( I didn't catch another till about noon, a chunky 14 incher on a beadhead prince nymph. I then caught a 17 incher. To top the day for I caught a 24 1/2 inch on a brown beadhead Wooley Bugger. *This was one of the biggest, if not the biggest Trout I have ever caught. I used intermediate sinking line with a 9 foot 5X leader with 18" of 6X florocarbon tippet. * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Talking to some of the guys fishing, the water has a lot of floating algea in it compaired to last year. At times it was tough keeping the flies clean particularily when close to shore. * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *From what I observed the spin fishermen didn't catch as many as the fly guys. All in all a supper day at Heenan!!! ;D :D ;D

fishpeddler1
08-30-2008, 03:11 PM
It was a pretty slow opener compared to the last couple of years.
Headed to the back part of the lake using spin gear for the morning bite. only 3 smallish fish to hand. switched over to the fly rod for the afternoon bite and landed 3 by the dam, up to 24" on scud/BHPN combo near the bottom. made one more trip around the lake for a 17" hen on a cripplelure and called it a day. about 40 craft on the water, so not too much bumper boat action. looking foward to some cooler days up there next month. I'll try to get some pix loaded if my buddy forwards them to me. tight lines.

GCinGV
08-30-2008, 07:36 PM
Koas,
Sounds like a great first trip.

Thanks for the reports guys.
GC

superT
08-31-2008, 07:14 AM
Where is Heenan Lake? Thanks.