PDA

View Full Version : Melones Surprise

clamkin
08-24-2008, 04:39 PM
Tried fishing Pardee this morning with a couple of my neighbors. Should have done my homework. My boat still shows being registered in Oregon where I bought it, so no way I was getting past the inspection folks. My mistake.

Too long a drive to head home, so we headed off to Melones. Didn't get lines in until 8:30ish. No fishing pressure at all. Pretty much everyone has called this one for this year. I had too when we left the week before, but there we were. Around 10:30 with a full-on 4 rods down on stacked DRs with kokanee setups, my 90 ft rod pops the clip and starts a big pull down. I figure we found a pig. Well sorta did. Just not the species I was expecting.

http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/289/melonesbrownieav7.th.jpg (http://img54.imageshack.us/my.php?image=melonesbrownieav7.jpg)

Weighed 4 lbs. 5 oz. on the Glory Hole scale(mine read a little higher). 90 ft on a Crystal Basin blue hoochie thing with garlic corn and scent. Caught near the spillway. *

Koke fishing just wasn't there. Bagged a few dinks. Never marked any big schools, only a few sizeable fish now and then, including some nice arcs right before this one hit. My PB brownie, but then I don't think I've caught a brown since I was maybe 10 years old! This thing was full of shad.

Big O Tires Angler
08-24-2008, 04:52 PM
Dang...that's a huge brown!

johnbfishin
08-24-2008, 05:07 PM
Way to go Bob!
Too bad ya got shut down at Pardee but I'd say it was destiny. ;)

MankinD
08-24-2008, 05:18 PM
I see how it is, the captain takes the big fish and leaves his guests with nadda. Wait a minute, when did we catch browns as kids :-? Where was I :'(
Nice pig.

Mickey_Thomas
08-24-2008, 05:28 PM
Beautiful Brown, glad you tarketed Browns ;D ;D Let's hear more about the ones you caught when you were 10 ;)

clamkin
08-24-2008, 05:33 PM
I told both those guys to grab the rod and they wouldn't reach for it. After seeing that thing when it got to the boat, I can't say was disappointed it worked out the way it did. *;) It was hooked hard with both hooks and only a broken line would have lost it.

MankinD
08-24-2008, 06:27 PM
Mickey, I think it was Buck's lake. I was only 8 or 9, but, I remember leaving out of the campground at Haskins Bay. We were trolling and I remember being envious of the guys flyfishing in the bay as we went by. There was a huge caddis or mayfly hatch going on and those guys were hooking a lot of fish.
Aaahhh, memories.....

troutfan
08-24-2008, 07:02 PM
That is one nice surprise! Beautiful Brown. Thanks for sharing.

vvbob
08-24-2008, 08:00 PM
Nice fish Bob....too bad the other guys didn't want the glory ;D

Ironhead
08-25-2008, 09:51 AM
Bob,

Great looking fish. By the belly on that "bad boy" it looks like there must be some bait in there.

Ironhead

clamkin
08-25-2008, 01:43 PM
Greg, I thought so too when she first came out of the water. Surprisingly I've seen more roe come from the larger kokes.

Chadzilla
08-25-2008, 08:24 PM
Great looking brown! That beats a few kokes any day.

fishon18
08-25-2008, 09:14 PM
Clamkin,

That is a nice brown. Thanks for sharing...

Scott