PDA

View Full Version : Info on Woods Lake, Blue Lakes, andddd???

Antonio_Banderas
08-19-2008, 10:01 AM
Hi Sniffers,

Getting ready to turn 33 here and if I don't get out of the Bay Area I am going to die prematurely. Thinking about taking a 3 night camping trip, hitting up Blue Lakes, Woods Lake, and maybe a spot along a stream somewhere with some decent fishing within a reasonable drive of these two locales. Does anybody have any ideas on where to go? How about Woods Lake? Is that a worthwhile place to go? The campground there looks AWESOME, which is definitely a priority for the trip. Also a priority is the minimum of people, planning on going midweek to avoid weekend campers. I figure the Captain knows this area top and bottom, what do you guys think? I'm doing ultralight bank fishing only and want one more fantastic trip before the winter. Thinking about the second week of September for shove off. All thoughts appreciated!

[smiley=angling.gif]

Captain Compassion
08-19-2008, 11:08 AM
After Labor Day the real fishing season begins. The camp grounds clear out The mornings start to cool and fish become active. Good place to camp is Hope Valley CG. 12 miles to Blue Lakes, 7 miles to Caples, 4 miles to Red Lake, 14 mi to Silver. W. Carson across the street. Fishing opportunities are slightley better at the end of the month but there is oppoptunity. Red for Brookies and early Cutts. Blue Lakes for Bowa and maybe cutts. With the Draining of Caples and stocking of Silver a unique opportunity arises. Further out there is Heenan where you can tussle with 24 in cutts on your ultralight gear. If you can go. Go!

CC

billfisher
08-19-2008, 12:58 PM
Woods Lake is a beautiful spot and can be good fishing for small trout, but it can also be very buggy. The access road is very narrow and the parking is limited. I stop there to fish and maybe eat lunch, but have not camped there.

CC's recommendations for camping are better.

For "stream" fishing in that general area this time of year you probably need to go all the way down to the E. Fork Carson (beyond Markleeville) due to the low water conditions. The W. Fork may still be fishable, but it gets picked clean pretty fast in the summer.

There is a decent camp ground at Indian Creek Res. if you get that far east.

Be bear concious wherever you camp.

Antonio_Banderas
08-19-2008, 01:14 PM
Thank you guys! I am going to look up Heenan and see if I can find out where to camp. A hour drive or so each day after breaking camp will be reasonable enough. I want to fish am at a spot, have lunch break camp move and fish the new spot pm and am the following day, repeating that motion a couple of times and really get to see the area. In the past I tend to camp at one spot and stay there which leaves little exploring.

billfisher
08-19-2008, 02:01 PM
Heenan Lake is near Markleeville and has a limited/short season. It is open Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, from the Friday before Labor Day through the last Sunday in October. Catch and release only with barbless lures and flies. The places to camp include Markleeville Creek, at camping areas along the E Fork Carson, and Indian Creek Res.

txa7rdul
08-19-2008, 03:39 PM
Greetings gentlemen,
If you fish Woods Lake, hike around to the south end and fish where what little water might still be flowing into the lake off of the peaks. It's the only inflow for this water. The good old blown up crawler on lite line is a good bet. Or small spinners. Fishing at Caples can also be good where the water flows in at the east end coming from Woods Lake. Again, blown up worms or Power bait. Get it up off of the bottom. These have been my favorite areas when I'm up there for the last 40+ years, fishing or hunting.
Regarding the camping, you might check out Caples or Sliver lake campgrounds. They are nice sites and closer to all of the better fishing areas around there for this time of the year. Woods lake C.G. is very limited and gets filled up fast from all of the hickers going into Winnimucca Lake for the day.
Good Luck!
MaiTai II

Captain Compassion
08-19-2008, 03:55 PM
As Billfisher said there is an excellent CG at Indian Creek Res however you will be a little early for good fishing there. The water will be still a little warm and too many weeds in September. ICR is an October/November kind of place.

CC

cgagex3
08-19-2008, 04:08 PM
AB,
The Capt. has it dialed in. After mid week next week the fishing in Caples will die off with the fish rescue and transfer to Silver.
I still love Woods for the beauty of the lake. Look for the large rock formation towards the east end or the shelf at the creek inlet from the falls at the west end. Both are towards the south end of the lake but it is a short hike. Even better with a float or pontoon which is my norm for Woods. My last two trips have landed plenty of brookies, still on the small side but it speaks well for the fishing in October. Just about the prettiest lake you will see, makes it ok if you do have a slow fishing day.
Just bring the bug spray. As it cools down they will die off but the skeeters can be pretty thick.
I may do the Red, Woods, & Caples trifecta this weekend. Want to get one last fishing trip in before the shock treatment starts up. *[smiley=frakenstien.gif]

CG

Antonio_Banderas
08-19-2008, 04:27 PM
Blue Lakes is the only place up there that I have been. . . an absolute must go place for me so now I am thinking Woods the first night for a fire, camping and scenery, Blue the next day for fishing, and wrapping it up at Silver, possibly Hope Valley. . . hmm choices choices 8-)

atavuss
08-20-2008, 07:02 AM
Kirkwood Lake is another option to consider, it has a campground very close to the lake, it reminds me of Woods Lake.

Antonio_Banderas
08-20-2008, 07:38 AM
Google Earth says that it is only about an hour drive to go from Blue Lakes over and around to Lake Alpine, I was there when I was a kid I might have to go back for the deja vu factor. Now I am getting confused. I may just have to plan two trips :D I'm getting some good info on Indian Creek as well there are so many options I think I might move lol.

billfisher
08-20-2008, 09:08 AM
Google Earth says that it is only about an hour drive to go from Blue Lakes over and around to Lake Alpine, I was there when I was a kid I might have to go back for the deja vu factor. *Now I am getting confused. *I may just have to plan two trips :D *I'm getting some good info on Indian Creek as well there are so many options I think I might move lol.

AB - As CC says Indian Creek Res. would be a place to go for camping this time of year and not so much for fishing. But if you wanted to get to both the Blue Lakes area and the Alpine Lake area on the same trip it might be a good base camp because it is sort of in between the two areas (road wise). You would probably be about 30 to 45 minutes from either area.

Just a thought.

fat_fish
08-20-2008, 12:02 PM
AB-i'm going the 9th to silver,woods, red, the w. carson and camping @ blue. wakin up early on the 10th for a mornin troll on upper blue. then headed home. will be in my black dodge nitro towing a 14" alum. come say hi. i like the hvcg like cc said, but i like blue much better. especially those spots on the creek between the lakes.

ff

txa7rdul
08-20-2008, 01:02 PM
You can never beat the beauty of Lower & Upper Blues Lakes. But from Blues to Alpine, give yourself a little more than an hours drive. It's a slow trek up and over Monitor Pass due to the slow speed and winding roads. Or, if you have a souped up 4x4 you can take the grade 4 trail that starts out from below Lower Blues that pops out at Hermit Valley on Hwy 4. Now that takes you thru some gorgeous country. Not bad deer hunting country either if you do not mind packing the meat out of the deep canyons.

rc mckokanee
08-21-2008, 06:21 PM
just wanted to add, that if you go to the blue lakes, you might want to take the dirt road to meadow lake, which is the end of the road. you have to walk a short distance down to meadow lake, but you might be rewarded with some good fishing. a float tube will work well there and you can walk along the dam and fish. a nice lake and hardly anyone goes there.

Antonio_Banderas
08-21-2008, 07:55 PM
just wanted to add, that if you go to the blue lakes, you might want to take the dirt road to meadow lake, which is the end of the road. you have to walk a short distance down to meadow lake, but you might be rewarded with some good fishing. a float tube will work well there and you can walk along the dam and fish. a nice lake and hardly anyone goes there.

McKoke, is that the road that goes right by the entrance to Upper Blue Campground? We never ventured down it. I know Lost Lakes is up there but when we were there last June it didn't look like something we wanted to try. I know Twin is down a sorta sketchy road by Lower, we may or may not have a Cherokee but even with that its not much off an offroader.

Looks like the weekend immediately following Labor Day weekend is our target date. I am hoping we will get some solitude and some quality campsites, not sure if were going too early or not. My buddy works for Reno PD and he probably cannot take time but on the weekend which leaves a quiet midweek trip off the menu. Sept 6,7,8. . . mebbe 9. We are DEFINITELY going to Blue. We might miss FatFish unfortunately but I would like to give him a shot of Jack so we may going looking for him at Middle Creek. ;) My mate says Wolf Creek is a great spot, so we might do that as well. I'd really like to see more country than we usually do so I'm looking at cracking the whip and staying mobile.

fat_fish
08-21-2008, 08:42 PM
sounds good. i'll be there.

ff

rc mckokanee
08-22-2008, 04:45 AM
when you get to lower blue lake ( on the nice paved road now) you would go to your left, and drive to twin lake. don't take the 4wd road to hwy 4. last time i was there the road to twin and meadow was in good shape. there could be some fishing at twin, but i have never had much luck there. i have seen cars go back to meadow lake. the road to meadow was ok last time i was there, but not sure how the last winter treated it. also last time i was at upper blue ( last fall ) they had the road to lost lakes closed. the possibility of seeing a bear at meadow is a good one. good luck

atavuss
08-22-2008, 06:46 PM
Lost Lake is the other direction from Twin Lakes and Meadow Lakes. *the 4x4 road starts near the Upper Blue Lakes campground. *the road is not too bad from the Blue Lakes end going to Lost Lake. *the roughest part is probably a mile or two after Forestdale Creek which is closer to the Red lake side of the trip. *you could spend a pleasant day (as long as you have a 4x4 that is set up for it) by taking the dirt road by Red Lake going over to Blue Lakes *(Lost Lake is on this road) and then taking the 4x4 road from Blue Lakes to Hermit Valley. *it is easier to start at the Blue Lakes end rather than the highway 4 Hermit valley end. *
this map gives you an idea of where everything is:
http://www.fishsniffer.com/maps/bluelakes.html