PDA

View Full Version : Sierra Nevada Golden Trout Aug 12-16 2008

GuyBrown
08-19-2008, 08:49 AM
I led a group of 15 on a Sierra Club Basecamp Trip Aug 10-17 2008. Fished a bit Aug 12-16 at 10,700 in the Humphreys Basin (above Bishop, CA) lakes and creeks. Caught & released limits easily each day fishing a few minutes/hours a day. Most on small spinners (Meps, Panther Martins (black, gold & silver), Kastmasters in gold & silver), some fly fishing (most caddis dry flies, one on a Zug Bug nymph. Beautiful scenery. Largest Golden went 10.

MontanaN8V
08-19-2008, 08:52 AM
Sierra Club

Hope you did not kill any of the fish [smiley=swimmingfish.gif]

HighStreamsLvr
08-19-2008, 09:10 AM
Sierra Club, Fly Fishing for Golden trout?, releasing ALL of them, yes, some I am sure died..too bad... :'( :-/

Antonio_Banderas
08-19-2008, 09:22 AM
Sounds like a nice trip. :)

GuyBrown
08-19-2008, 09:31 AM
All fish successfully released.

In about 10 years fishing the Sierra (7-21 days a year) only a small number of fish caught using bait (hooked deep) die upon release. Even when bait fishing using size 16 or 18 treble hooks and a forceps to pull hook out results in fewer than 1 in 20-30 fish going belly up.

BuckSnort
08-19-2008, 10:36 AM
Glad to hear that the Sierra Club actually went into the hills....I thought all they did was sit on thier butts and dream up rediculous laws to take fun away from sportsman and outdoor enthusiasts.

HighStreamsLvr
08-19-2008, 10:58 AM
I will echo that sentiment...

tejedarichard
08-19-2008, 11:11 AM
Thanks for joining us guybrown and thanks for the report.

txa7rdul
08-19-2008, 03:51 PM
Sounds like a good trip. Just hope that whenever they do go "belly up" they also go right up into the frying pan so as to not go to waste. :P

johnbfishin
08-20-2008, 08:54 PM
Something tells me that the Sierra Club mentioned isn't the one most of us think of when we hear that name. If it is, this thread makes very little sense to me....unless they were carrying poison to protect some frogs. ;)

At any rate, good catchin' on those goldens and nice report.

drstressor
08-21-2008, 11:55 AM
If you think the Sierra Club is anti-fishing, you've been listening to too much Talk Radio.The Sierra Sportsman's Network, which is part of the Sierra Club, organizes fishing and hunting trips all the time. The organization gets bashed because they are highly political and support Democrats most of the time. They would have more friends if they had a broader political base. But involvement in politics is the only way to accomplish their goals. Even the Nature Conservancy, which takes a non-political market based approach to conservation, is finding that to be the case.

It's usually better to learn about an organization yourself than to believe what other people are saying about it.

MattMan
08-21-2008, 02:43 PM
If you think the Sierra Club is anti-fishing, you've been listening to too much Talk Radio.The Sierra Sportsman's Network, which is part of the Sierra Club, organizes fishing and hunting trips all the time. The organization gets bashed because they are highly political and support Democrats most of the time. They would have more friends if they had a broader political base. But involvement in politics is the only way to accomplish their goals. Even the Nature Conservancy, which takes a non-political market based approach to conservation, is finding that to be the case.

It's usually better to learn about an organization yourself than to believe what other people are saying about it.

Kudos, Doc. Very well said. ;)

Washoe_Pirate
08-21-2008, 04:04 PM
But involvement in politics is the only way to accomplish their goals

What exactly are their goals....in respect to conservation of fish for instance? What are their management platforms for lakes in the High Sierras? Do they support DFG managing these lakes for sport fishing, or do they support managing these lakes for say FROGS???

Sounds like a wonderful trip by the way!!! Nothing more admirable than leading a group into the wilderness, exposing them and teaching them about the finer things in life!! Well done GB :)!!

drstressor
08-21-2008, 04:09 PM
What exactly are their goals....in respect to conservation of fish for instance?

We can't discuss politics on the boards, so check out their website and see for yourself:

http://www.sierraclub.org/welcome/

I'm not a member nor do I agree with all of their positions. But they aren't an anti-fishing organization.

djh
08-21-2008, 07:39 PM
If you think the Sierra Club is anti-fishing, you've been listening to too much Talk Radio.
Yes, but it would certainly be nice if they were truly concerned about the environment, like Chevron, Exxon and Walmart...

johnbfishin
08-22-2008, 06:28 PM
If you think the Sierra Club is anti-fishing, you've been listening to too much Talk Radio.
Yes, but it would certainly be nice if they were truly concerned about the environment, like Chevron, Exxon and Walmart...

I'll have to put some time into thinking about that one........ok, I'm done and I agree with that point.
But I still don't believe that their law suit justifies poisoning fish.