PDA

View Full Version : Bull Run Lake???

cutbow_master
08-01-2008, 09:14 PM
I will be going on a backpacking trip on August 11th, and was wondering if anyone had info on Bull run lake. If not, any lake in the vicinity that might have good fishing.

Thanks,

CM

gbslade
08-02-2008, 05:39 AM
Although I've not been in there in several years, there used to be decent sized Brookies in Bull Run Lake.

Heiser Lake also has fish. One can make a loop trip from Stanislaus Meadow to Bull Run to Heiser to Mosquito Lake. However, you need a shuttle from Mosquito Lake back to the car at Stanislaus Meadow.

Mr_Ed
08-02-2008, 07:15 AM
Glad gbslade spoke up............I was going to tell you about Bull Run
Res, that is in Nevada................ :D

So where is the Bull Run in Calif, located??

Valley_Fly_Man
08-02-2008, 12:04 PM
Bull Run lake is great brookie lake was there last year at this time the morning and eve hatches are great the fish are not very picky on what you trow at them i used size 14 to 22 Elk hair caddis, BWO. And if you get the chance hike to the top of Bull Run peak and check out the views. If you are hike in from Elephant Rock Lake near Spicer res. you will hike by several small lakes for some excellent fishing.

VFM :)

Valley_Fly_Man
08-02-2008, 12:12 PM
Mr Ed
Bull Run Lake is located between Hwy 108 and Hwy 4 east of Beardsley Res. You can see Bull Run Peak from the Donnelles vista point on Hwy 108.

VFM

gbslade
08-03-2008, 06:20 AM
The trailhead at Stanislaus Meadow is on Highway 4, west of Mosquito Lake. As I recall, it's about a 3 mile hike to Bull Run Lake.

Fish_Bully
08-04-2008, 08:57 AM
Both Bull Run and Heiser receive their fair share of pressure. A lot of folks day hike these two lakes. Bull (not Bull Run, but Bull) may be the best self-sustainer in that general area. I visited both Noble and Bull a few weeks ago. Also Asa is a short hike from Highland Lakes. All Brookies.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

Flip

cutbow_master
08-08-2008, 08:45 AM
Fish Bully,

How did you do t Noble and Bull Lakes?

Fish_Bully
08-08-2008, 09:52 AM
I did okay at Bull Lake which was my main target. I only fished Noble because the trail goes right along its shoreline and the bite wasn't as good as Bull. I haven't been to Heiser or Bull Run in a few years. When I did last visit, my experience echoes that of Valley Fly Man. A friend of mine hiked to both Bull Run and Heiser early this year and reported obvious pressure with worm containers and egg jars littering the shorelines. Each trip up the Hwy. 4 corridor this year, I noticed several cars at the above mentioned trailheads and chances are you won't be alone.

Bull Lake is trailess and less visited. From the PCT, take the unmaintained Bull Canyon Trail which cuts over to the Wolf Creek Trail. Once you reach all the springs, start going south to Bull. Again, Bull is a completely self-sustaining lake.

Flip

cutbow_master
08-09-2008, 08:16 AM
I will be leaving for Bull Run Lake on Monday, I will report back on Thursday. Thanks for the info! :)

cutbow_master
08-16-2008, 10:41 PM
Bull Run Lake is a beautiful lake that was much more pristine than I had thought it would be. Only one other family were camping- on the other side of the lake. There were about 10 or 12 day hikers that came to swim, which I did not appreciate that much! The weather was great in the 70's, and the water temp was 65. The fishing was not good. I caught one fish (10.5 inch brookie) in 2 days of fishing. Also, there were not many fish surfacing at all. I talked to one camper who camps at Bull Run Lake every year, he said, that he had not fished the lake in 7 years because of the poor fishing. He said before that he did not have to pack much food because he had always ad fish to eat. Now, not so much.

Great place visit, not such a great place to fish!