PDA

View Full Version : new to eagle lake

blowfish
08-08-2008, 12:58 PM
Ive been fishing 30 years and have never been to eagle , I have a chance to go soon and was wondering what to use there. Im a rapala guy all the way , What about the grub fishing , do you troll em ? whats the best setup there , we plan to troll, Ive got al least one of everything, what color grub is hot. We have a map of the lake , I hope the ramps are open. thanks for any tips. [smiley=baghe ad.gif]

billfisher
08-08-2008, 03:29 PM
blowfish: *You will find a lot of informatiuon about fishing Eagle Lake here: http://eaglelakefishing.info/report.html

This time of year you will find most people fishing the south basin because it is the deepest part of the lake. A lot of folks will "still fish" from their boats using a slip bobber and a bobber stop so they can hang a worm/crawler at a specific depth. For trolling there are lots of "favorites" including special mention for grubs, Needlefish, and night crawlers. My personal choice is trolling flies. *But the bigest fish I have personally seen taken from Eagle Lake all came on stick baits like the raps you prefer. The main thing you need to do this time of year is to get on the water as early as possible so you can be fishing at first legal light. Sometimes the bite will continue into mid-morning, but more often it shuts down signifiantly shortly after full sun hits the water. The web site I gave you will give you more details.

Good luck!

Jetspray
08-08-2008, 06:56 PM
I just got back and the general depth for the bobber set was 25 to 30 feet bobber to worm. Had to do it that way with relatives on board 5 at a time and everyone got something to take home. Remember the limit is two per day and a total of 4 in hand. The sherriff was looking at catches too.....Jetspray

Jetspray
08-08-2008, 06:57 PM
Forgot that is a set in 55 ft of water to anchor at eagles nest area.....Jetspray

blowfish
08-09-2008, 08:31 AM
Thanks guys great info. Im still not clear on the grubs , size and color, fish them on a jig , troll , spoon ?... Yes I am taking crawlers. keep it comming guys Im going to have to outfish my brother in law that has never fished there either. . I need an edge. thanks happy trails

Scott R
08-10-2008, 11:33 AM
I usually run two lines with grubs first thing in the morning. *I troll them just with a single hook and with a bit of Pro-cure trophy trout or krill gel. *Amber, brown, watermelon # 2 are my top choices right now but colors change daily. *Sometimes the addition of a wigglefin can get you a strike if fishing is slow. *I usually troll 100-150 feet behind the boat. *Being that this is your first trip, I would highly recommend fishing with a guide. *I learned more about fishing Eagle in one guided trip than I ever would have on my own. *Tim Noxon (Fish Travelers Guide Service) is who I fished with, he lives there, knows the lake and is very reasonable. *His # is 530-825-3524
Both stores at Spalding have just about everything type of tackle you need as well as the store at Eagle Lake Marina. *They can also give you a pretty good update on fishing conditions.

vvbob
08-10-2008, 12:09 PM
This is how I set up my grubs.
This is a 3" Berkley Power Grub in Pumpkinseed.
I use a #1 Gami worm hook for the 3" a #6 for the 2"
No flashers or dodgers, just a straight grub, with or without a bead
Ball bearing swivel 5-6' up the line.
Troll 30-40' back off the downrigger.

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z145/vvbob/Grub1.jpg

Turning the hook so the point is up will make the grub roll

Don
08-10-2008, 05:55 PM
Fishing with Grubs if you don't use a swivel you will have BAD line twist. Just take it all off and start over. With A Swivel

blowfish
08-11-2008, 05:03 AM
This is great info for me. Special thanks to Vacavillebob a picture is worth a thousand words. We are renting a very small cabin/shack and plan to spend a couple of days. Keep it comming guys I am probably going up next monday It sounds like I should troll 20-30 feet deep . I understand the south end is best for worm fishing , where is the best troll. What is at the north end ?

troutfan
08-11-2008, 05:23 AM
This is great info for me. Special thanks to Vacavillebob a picture is worth a thousand words. *We are renting a very small cabin/shack and plan to spend a couple of days. *Keep it comming guys I am probably going up next monday It sounds like I should troll 20-30 feet deep . I understand the south end is best for worm fishing , where is the best troll. What is at the north end ?
We had very good success with fish up to 5.5 lbs. trolling at Eagles Nest 30 feet deep, 150' back OTW. We were using #2 Red Magic/Fish scale Needlefish. When the sun gets higher go to the other side and try between Wildcat and Shrimp Island. Always sharpen your hooks on the NF since they seem to be dull out of the box.

SuperDave
08-11-2008, 12:42 PM
blowfish, the entire northend is pretty shallow, under 15' deep, and gets both warm and weedy. Not what you are looking for while trolling this time of year but usually great in late fall.

blowfish
08-14-2008, 02:58 PM
OK great tips any more ?

SuperDave
08-14-2008, 03:01 PM
If you decide to fish near the fleet, stay to the outside edges. Not worth having your lines cut by the idiots and quite often they push the fish out to you.

Jetspray
08-14-2008, 07:23 PM
SD is right there are alot of boats bunched up. Fellas ususally fish mid lake down to 30 ft with the VVBob setup trolling in the direction of Spaulding......Jetspray

blowfish
08-16-2008, 07:58 PM
Im leaving sunday nite , I will bring back a report thursday thanks again for all the tips happy trails