PDA

View Full Version : Taking son fishing , any ideas?

htputter
08-04-2008, 07:43 AM
Taking son fishing , not sure where to go.Beardsley, Bridgeport , Lake alpine. No boat maybe float tubes. looking for good action bait and fly
He is starting high school soon so want good time. Going for 3 days.

Antonio_Banderas
08-04-2008, 08:52 AM
Alpine is a lovely Lake and will likely be slammed, especially if you are out on a weekend. I've never been to Brigeport or Beardsley. There is a ton of places in Stanislaus, spots on the river, smaller lakes like Mosquito that get less traffic. Why not pick a lake as a base camp, fart around there for a couple days and then wrap things up at another campsite along the river somewhere? I'd hit up the USFS site and get a listing of campgrounds for the area you are thinking of going, get the Google Earth popping, and plan out something multi-dimensional. You can literally drive 20 minutes in any direction that area and come to another great place to camp and fish.

reeltor
08-04-2008, 10:47 AM
putter- if you decide to hit Alpine and use it for a base, you should check out lower Kinney Lake just past Ebbetts Pass. Kinney reservoir is right on the highway, and you can park by the dam. Cross the dam and follow the trail - it is less than a mile in, and the lake has a lot of pretty cutthroat. It is an easy walk and I usually do pretty well on lures (Panther Martins, small kastmasters, etc). Good luck - great you can spend some quality time with your son! Tight lines!

Reeltor

iron-man
08-04-2008, 09:23 PM
I was at Bridgeport last week , Wed and Thurs. The fishing there has slowed. Three of us bait fishing caught 13 on Wed and 12 Thurs. Of course Thurs we quit at 12:30 for the 3 1/2 hr trip back to the Valley. Biggest fish abt 2 lbs, most were small and some recent planters. :( Our best bet was fishing the drop offs on the edges on either side of the lake . Lots of WEEDs and crap in the water. This was my fifth trip there this year and the worst catching wise. >:(

Go to Spicer ;). It's a much prettier lake and cooler and more fish. :) IM

Mackattack
08-04-2008, 09:28 PM
Where ever you decide(fish-on or not is going to be great). Time spent with the ones you love cannot be better time spent.

Mackattack

Float_N_Fish
08-05-2008, 08:22 PM
I like the HW 4 base camp idea also, out of Alpine you can also fish Kinney, Highlands, Mosquito and Spicer on bait and fly for a nice variety of scenes.

FF