PDA

View Full Version : Favorite rapalas for stream trout?

silverman
08-03-2008, 11:27 AM
What are your best producing rapalas or other similar baits for stream trout? Style (floater, HJ-suspending, or countdowns etc.), size, and your best colors? I used to only use spinners and spoons, but after seeing another guy out-fish me with them, I happened to have an XR8 X-Rap (silver and black) in the box and guess what? After about 3 cast a beautiful 18 inch brown! I want to try more plugging for trout now.

metalmouth
08-03-2008, 11:32 AM
CD Black Gold. ;)

silverman
08-03-2008, 03:57 PM
What size or sizes in the CD's are your favorites?

johnbfishin
08-03-2008, 04:22 PM
I've used a deep diving shad rap (is that a rapala? ::)) in large deep pools. It's green and white probably, imitating scull pins that are found in the Americans.
They work well in the slow currents and are easy to bounce off the bottom when fishing them down stream.

feelinminnesota
08-04-2008, 06:52 AM
i used to use the smallest size cd's, but now i've upgraded to the floating 2-2 3/4" sizes. i'm not 100% sure of what rapala calls these sizes.
i like the rainbow torut patern, and good ole black and silver. black and gold is a close third.

metalmouth
08-04-2008, 07:04 AM
2" works well for me. We use the Black/Gold as it imitates the Chub, Sucker, and Brown minnows pretty well.

Maybe our pool expert GCinGV will wiegh in? ;)

Athlete24
08-04-2008, 07:26 AM
I have always had great success with the CD-5 in rainbow trout pattern. It seems to work when other spinners and spoons won't.

GCinGV
08-04-2008, 07:33 AM
In streams I like the CD 7 and 9 in Rainbow, Brown Trout, Silver and the Gold. The Brook Trout pattern looks pretty good as well but I havenít caught anything on them or used them much yet. In plunge pools same patterns in 9 and 11. I also use various crank baits in the plunge pools; Shad Raps, Bagleyís, Bombers etc but most of the time itís easier to get to depth with the CDs especially in small pools where you canít crank far.
Using CD Raps in the streams re-tie your line often because you tend to get lots of line abrasion. A rubber or at least a rubber coated net is a big plus with plugs as well or youíll spend lots of time getting the treble hooks out.
GC

silverman
08-04-2008, 04:08 PM
Hmmmm very interesting....it seems like everyone is a fan of the CD's and not really the floaters or the suspenders (HJ's) and that natural colors are usually the way to go. They are expensive to stock up on, so I think that I'll stick with the natural colors for now.

metalmouth
08-04-2008, 05:58 PM
In rivers, you need to get down quickly to work the water you are casting to. The CD does that starting as soon as it hits the water. ;)