PDA

View Full Version : Does the line really matter for trout fishing?

Fillmoepro
08-01-2008, 02:43 PM
Just say if I was using a 12 -15lb test vs a 4-8lb test line. Will I catch more trout on the lighter line vs thicker?

Slapin_Bass
08-01-2008, 03:24 PM
I would say you would catch more on light line. But I cant give you a reason besides they can see the line more.

theredchaser
08-01-2008, 05:07 PM
It makes a bigger difference depending on the water's clarity I think. If the water is muddy they'll have a lower probability of sensing a thicker line.

You could also try using a lighter leader line depending on how you're fishing.

I myself find myself using lighter line though. :o

nayr
08-01-2008, 05:21 PM
I swap around the same reel between two poles. One for trout and one for surf perch. I keep it spooled with 14 lb test. I catch just as many trout on that rod as I do On my ultralight with 4 lb test. As mentioned earlier Just use a lighter leader, I use 4 or 6 lb test. I havnt had any probs. [smiley=swimmingfish.gif]

tinytrout
08-01-2008, 05:38 PM
I will tell that I have always used the green line for fishing in the mountains because yes, the water is green or emerald and the color matches the water very well. Last year I went fishing up to Eagle Lake with a buddy and he had red line on his reel called Cajun Red. He said after about three feet it completely dissapears! I was sceptical. Well I will have to say when that line hit the water it dissapeared almost completely at about two feet or so and the deeper you go it is virtually invisable. He hooke and let go eight Trout the first morning to my two. I went to Susanville and purchased a spool of Fire line(they did not have Cajun Red) which is the same color just more expensive. Taht afternoon I caught Six trout to his Five. I have used this line ever since with great success. Give it a try you wont be dissapointed!
Tiny Trout

metalmouth
08-01-2008, 06:05 PM
First of all red does not disappear under water. It will turn gray at about 25 feet. See InFisherman, they had scientists do a whole show on the subject. Why do you think red is a predominate color in many lures and hooks, because it disappears? Not.

Line diameter and color makes a huge difference. ;)

cgagex3
08-01-2008, 06:31 PM
Clarity, clarity, clarity. In the late summer algae bloom of Red Lake you could use a 1/4" rope and the fish couldn't see it. ;D
With the clear water at Caples or the pics I have seen of Convict or a real clear stream then you need to hide it a little more.
The depth you have to go for the fish is the other factor. Up in the cold water in the hills I still catch fish in the top 5 feet where they see everything.
There, that is my 2 cents worth.

CG

Jason
08-01-2008, 06:50 PM
Lately trout and kokanee are all I target anymore. I spool my lines with Maxima 6 pound green. Its pretty much all I've used for the last 5 years. I've had no problem at Pardee, Crystal Basin or anywhere else I fish. I know someone who swears Cajun Red is the hot ticket for catching trout, but can't figure out why he's not catching.

Cracker Jacks
08-01-2008, 06:50 PM
Good thread ...

I just go with the lightest stuff ... never thought about color :-?

Mr_Ed
08-01-2008, 07:05 PM
You will get more bites with the light line, due to it is harder to see,
gives better action to light lures ,cast farther and sinks faster.

However,since it is lighter, it does not mean you will land more.

You can cheat a little in stained water and increase the line dia and poundage.

metalmouth
08-01-2008, 07:23 PM
Maxima is a great line. I should own stock in Maxima Green! Let's take this visibility thing a step further. Go onto the Kokanee board in the spring when the fish are at the top of the water column. What is the color of the lure everyone is running. Red or Pink. Why you might ask? It is the color that fish see the best in the top 15 to 20 feet of the water column. Not good if it's your line they see. Here is a web site you can check out for verification. My friend Gary from FishWithGary tackle company has a section on his web site called Kokanee University. It's about what fish see: Kokanee University! (http://www.fishwithgary.com/kokaneeuniversity.html) Another great source is the Steelhead Fisherman, Dr. K, he is a member here, an eye doctor, and wrote the book "What Fish See." Study, learn, understand, all of which will make you a better fisherman! In lines, limper and less visible is always better. The trade off is the strength you will need to land fish. Learning the balance that works for you is what the art of fishing is all about!

MM/Don

fishguts
08-01-2008, 08:02 PM
I've always used clear line.

Trout_Terminator
08-01-2008, 08:36 PM
It all depends on clarity, and type of trout. If its an amador bow, i can get away with 12lb power pro braid and they don't seem to mind. If i am fishing at ice house i have to use 6lb - 4lb or else i cant buy a bite.

-TT

Trout Tracker
08-01-2008, 08:49 PM
This is an interesting thread you all got going.I have always used clear mono.
But since flouracarbon line came out i have used nothing but on my trolling gear and do well with it.I use 8lb p line flouracarbon as a leader with the lead core.
Just my 2cents.
Bob

ryanerb
08-01-2008, 10:13 PM
I am a true believer in light line. However, I usually fish clear mountain lakes. I went with my friend one time, I either had 2lb or 4lb test, he must have had about 8-10, and I had a lot more bites than him. There could have been other factors involved, but I think line had a lot to do with it. I would say why not run the lightest you feel comfortable with. I can land a 5lb fish on 2lb line, you just gotta play the fish and use your drag.

fishguts
08-02-2008, 06:36 AM
I used the fluro lines for a while but found no difference in catch rate for me so I went back to mono clear, it was cheaper.

billfisher
08-02-2008, 01:25 PM
This question, in various forms, has come up several times before. IMO the answer for trout fishing is that for catching fish it doesn't matter much at all what kind of line you use so long as it is good line. Its diameter matters in terms of how much of it you can get onto your reel and in terms of how deep it will go while trolling, but color, test, and fluro vs. mono, etc. does not matter as long as you use a leader. Use a leader , use a leader, use a leader! Then you can buy a good quality mono line (like Maxima Green) which is cheaper than fluro and generally has better knot strength, and use any length/color/test/type of leader material you want. *And if you are not catching fish you can change to a different length/color/test/type of leader to see f it helps. Also, you definitely want your rig to break as near the hook as possible if you get hung up or if the fish breaks off, so you want the leader to be weaker than the line you use.

So given all of these reasons for using a leader why would anyone tie their lure or whatever else they are fishing with directly to their line? :-?

timmyt
08-02-2008, 09:19 PM
I use 6-8 lb yellow line but a 4 lb clear leader of about 18 inches. Seems to work well for me. I usually fish riveers. I like the yellow as I can see where the line goes into the water.

troutfan
08-03-2008, 07:01 AM
I use Fireline braid as my main line and then I either use a 8 lb. top shot of P-Line flouro for trolling or 6lb. flouro for leader material. I seem to have good success with this combo even at clear water lakes like Eagle where the fish are leader shy.

BIG_ONE
08-03-2008, 07:07 AM
for big monsters trout, big lines or small lines doesn't matter, but small lines will help present your lure better, unless your using bait. trout are very picky when comes to what they eat, they look at it very carefully before moving in for the meal from what i experienced, unless they are starving.
if your fishing in a fast moving stream, i don't really think so, i've seen fly fisherman using 20lbs test in teenie dinks trout there.
but when comes to lake, i think it matters, never go over 10lbs. i guess you can, but you'll catch more with 10lbs and under ;)

Globetrouter
08-04-2008, 06:45 AM
I use 4# Vanish transition(worth every over priced penny ;D). I have landed 8+lb browns on it with a little bit of drag and patience. This is in rivers and High elevations situations where the water is clear. In local lakes I use 10 or 12lb Maxima green with 4lb Maxima leader line . Works well for me. This year I might switch up to Floro for my leader line and see how it works. I do agree with an earlier post, lighter line means a better presentation. IMO. 8-)

notenufffishn
08-04-2008, 02:01 PM
Just my 2 cents...I agree with 4-6 pound line.

However lets take this a bit further...if you belive that line size does not matter and the fish will go after the lure or bait regardless of the line size then is it okay to use a snap swivel from your line to a lure like a panther martin, kastmaster etc....

To me this is also something I would never do but if it does not seem to matter then perhaps I can save some time.