PDA

View Full Version : Pit River

jruck02
07-29-2008, 08:51 PM
I'm heading out this weekend to Burney for my last R-n-R before HS football season kicks off. Planning on spending time on the shores of Pit River and Baum lake. I'm hoping to cash in on some advice some of you were able to share. Although I've been through the area a few times this will be my first time fishing it. I'm open to any fishing hole advice anyone has.

THE_TROUTKING
07-30-2008, 02:30 PM
I would also try Iron Canyon Res off 299 its a windy 17 mile rd to big bend also close to the Pit river power houses 3,4,5, The lake is another 5 miles past the pit stop store awesome area and great fishing.
Brian

wildcat092
07-30-2008, 02:33 PM
Watch for buzztails and know you're going to fall in a time or two; otherwise, Pit River is fishing outstanding from Britton down. Good luck.

twothphry
07-30-2008, 03:30 PM
The Pit is great fishing but a total bear wading. It can be brutal. My advice is don't fish it without a buddy or guide. A floatation device is a great backup.

Contact's Vaugh's Sporting Goods and also the Fly Shop for the latest info. Good luck and enjoy. I've had 50+ fish days on the Pit.

mrsockeye
07-30-2008, 03:35 PM
Those are good bets if trout are on the menu. *Here's a sightly *different idea, and a little out of the way, but you may try catfishing in Lake Shasta where the Pitt River comes in, and there are also bass in the area. *There are also some true relics in the Pitt arm of Lake Shasta... sturgeon. *Your chances of hooking one are probably one in a million, but I'm dying to hear of somebody catching one. *Be that person. :) Lake Britton is also up that way, and you can catch smallies, crappie, and bluegills in there.

slowriprun
07-31-2008, 04:27 PM
The Pit is an awsome river and the toughest river I have ever walked; nothing I have ever walked has slimmier rocks....nothing. If you wade it, and you really have to,,,,just know,,,,,you're gonna fall, bust a shin and a knee, a wrist and get wet. That's the game.

However, if you hit it right, the trout fishing can be fantastic. I start at Britton and go down right at the dam. It's steep so go slow. Also you can take some great smallies right at the spillway and down the first couple of hundred or so feet of river. The fish are 2 to 5 pounders, redeye, and strong. Just think bass in a river and you'll know what to use. Oh and there are some huge browns in there too.
Good luck, catch and release......

mr.chinook
07-31-2008, 05:35 PM
Baum lake has some monsters in it. No motors allowed. Elect only. So if you have a tub or canoe fish the tall grass. Crystal hatchery is right there and they are always happy to answer questions.