PDA

View Full Version : Eagle Lake 7/20-7/24

Scott R
07-24-2008, 08:04 PM
My son and I headed up to Eagle Lake on Sunday to do battle with more of those big ELT. *Sunday night was interesting with a little thunder and lightning and lightly raining for most of the night. *We fished the first morning down by Shrimp Island and hooked up within 5 minutes. *It was a 3lb. tui chub. *Our second, third, fourth and fifth fish of the day were all tui chubs. *We had the chub curse. *I lost count at 10 chubs. *We finally found some trout and quickly limited out. *Very nice fish to 3.5 lbs all making long runs. *Tuesday and Wednesday were even better. *We fished north of Wildcat point and found really nice quality fish. *Limits were fast, leaving us with plenty of time to make breakfast and just enjoy the great weather. *Water temperatures ranged from 69-72 degrees, best depth was 30-32 feet with a 150' set back, and hot lures for us were Sure-Catch goldilocks and red dogs, amber grubs, orange needle fish and UL spinners. *Trolling speed was between 1.4-2.0 mph. *Weather was great and boat traffic out of Spalding was very light. *Another trip to a great fishery. *This fall, fishing at Eagle should be awesome. *Some pictures
http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/88/img0772450x338lu8.jpghttp://img76.imageshack.us/img76/1478/img0773450x338no4.jpghttp://img76.imageshack.us/img76/2623/img0776450x338ez4.jpg

mrsockeye
07-24-2008, 08:57 PM
Very nice fish, glad to see the little guy got some too.

troutfan
07-25-2008, 03:21 AM
Great report . How's the smoke Scott? We were there last week and it was terrible. We're going next week and I was hoping it would be clearer by then.*Gotta love those ELT! *Thanks for sharing.

cornfused
07-25-2008, 04:54 AM
Scott, I'm jealous. One trip to the Gorge, and two trips to Eagle all within the last month and a half :). I know which Dad & Son have their priorities straight!

Thanks for the Eagle report and pics. Can't wait to get up there this year.

Pat

HogFan
07-25-2008, 06:16 AM
Nice report......but for future reference, can someone explain what a Chub is? Is it like a carp that you throw back, or do they (Eagle Lake) want you to keep them out of the lake once you catch them?

troutfan
07-25-2008, 06:38 AM
Nice report......but for future reference, can someone explain what a Chub is? *Is it like a carp that you throw back, or do they (Eagle Lake) want you to keep them out of the lake once you catch them?
The Tui Chub is a forage fish and you should throw them back because they are the primary food source for the ELT. *Eagle lake veterans will tell you to speed up a little when you catch a lot of Chubs. *Generally Chubs will look like fish stacked up tightly on your finder while the trout will be more scattered. *The Chubs tend to stay a little deeper than the trout in the water column. ;)

drstressor
07-25-2008, 07:02 AM
Our late friend Bite Me II's "secret" for catching Eagle Lake trout during the summer was to locate schools of large chubs in deep water and then fast troll 10 ft over them with Vampire Rapalas.

I'm sure that he wouldn't mind me sharing that info with the sniffers.

You will see signs at Eagle Lake asking people to return all large tui chubs back to the lake unharmed. As TF said, they are the major food source for the larger trout. The adult chubs live for a relatively long time. Since they often can't reproduce well when the water is low and the alkalinity is high, it is important to leave the adult chubs alone so that they will be there to reproduce when conditions improve.

The big chubs are much more likely to hit slow trolled spoons rather than plugs.

troutfan
07-25-2008, 08:39 AM
When launching at the Eagle Lake Marina on the south end last week I saw hundreds of small baitfish in the shallow water which bodes well for the ELT's diet. ;) The fish we caught looked very healthy and well fed.

appleinorange
07-25-2008, 09:21 AM
Troutfan, how was the water level at Eagle lake marina?

troutfan
07-25-2008, 09:26 AM
Troutfan, how was the water level at Eagle lake marina?
If facing the water you should use the ramp on the left. *The ramp on the right is only about 15-20" deep and we had to paddle out to drop the lower unit. *After we got the boat out another fisherman told me the ramp on the left is deeper. *There are some prop eaters straight out from the ramp on the right. *We had an 18' Maxum so it's still doable with a little care.