PDA

View Full Version : Silver Fork 7-20-2008 *pics added*

mike22ca
07-21-2008, 09:22 AM
Decided to fish Silver Fork with the GF for a lil while Sunday. *She's never caught a fish before or really even fished for that matter. *Had her casting and baiting her hook in no time and before ya know it she was catchin fish. *There were plenty of fish in all the regular spots. *Caught fish on everything; powerbait, power eggs, mini-crawlers, salmon eggs, lures. *We found one pocket in particular that was holding a good number of good sized fish so we stayed there for a bit and really worked them. *Probably caught roughly 25-30 fish. *Pics to come.

Denny1969
07-21-2008, 10:21 AM
Hi Mike,
It's a good thing that you got on the Silver Fork yesterday. The water level is going to be increased starting today because Caples Lake is going to be drained for dam repair.

It seems like you and the GF had an epic day. Good job!

Denny

mike22ca
07-21-2008, 08:41 PM
http://home.comcast.net/~mkeck28/gandtrout1-.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~mkeck28/gandtrout4-.jpg

YakMotor
07-22-2008, 01:06 PM
Good report and photos. Think that Pautzke egg red shirt must have had something to do withyour good luck!

mrsockeye
07-22-2008, 02:21 PM
Good looking fish. ;) ;) ;) *Nice to see some pictures of the fairer sex with fish. *I recognize that pose too, the "I don't want to touch it, it looks slimey," pose. Every picture I have of my girlfriend holding fish, is her with the fish as far away as she can get it from her.

mike22ca
07-22-2008, 02:24 PM
Good report and photos. *Think that Pautzke egg red shirt must have had something to do withyour good luck!

Its actually more of a powerbait pink color LOL

steveo79
07-22-2008, 04:28 PM
Ooops. I didn't notice the fish in the pictures, had to go back and take another look. Nice! ;D ;) ;D

rc mckokanee
07-23-2008, 04:51 AM
one of my favorite streams is the silver fork of the american river. how far did you go down from silver lake? i usually do well past the waterfalls and down furthur. there are some nice little browns and bows there. and i think some of the plants from above get down there also. i have only used little lures there.

GoneCountry
07-23-2008, 05:07 AM
wow I never knew that area had some fishin to be had im always goin a other way but ready to try new grounds. If ya dont mind sharin how do ya get to where you were fishin? Is there campin close by?

shon42073
07-23-2008, 05:58 AM
The silver fork is a fun little river thats full of smallish fish. You got up there just in time, I was told caples is being drained for some repairs and the silver fork is soon to be completely blown out for the remainder of the season. Any snake sitings ? 2 weeks ago I came across 3 kings and a rattler, One of the kings was very large and was swimming along the bottom of the river, I've only seen snakes swimming on top :o.

mike22ca
07-23-2008, 08:47 AM
Yea we got a bunch of fish that were 10-12", and a few smaller ones. I saw one Mountain Garter snake cruising along the bottom, but no other snakes. Which kinda kings did you see? Cal Kings or Mountain Kings?

mike22ca
07-23-2008, 08:48 AM
wow I never knew that area had some fishin to be had im always goin a other way but ready to try new grounds. If ya dont mind sharin how do ya get to where you were fishin? *Is *there campin close by?

Just go up 50 to Kyburz and follow that road all the way back. *There are several places to camp and there is fish all over the place in there.

rc mckokanee
07-23-2008, 10:47 AM
you can also camp at silver lake and walk the river down. mostly for the first half mile it is a swimming location,. there are these so called " potholes where you can swim, and then it goes down a couple waterfalls and then the river starts to fish well,down a little farthur oyster creek runs a little more water into the silver fork and it fishes well here, you still have a good walk downstream before caples creek runs into it. that is where it will probably be very fast. there are a few fishing holes you can fish before the potholes ,but they are hit pretty hard. silver lake has two nice campgrounds just east of the lake. the campground on the left is better suited for tents and has nice campsights with alot of volcanic rock formations.

mike22ca
07-23-2008, 10:52 AM
Silver Fork is so long and there is a ton of fishable water! *Its hard to decide where to start sometimes. *We fished some really fast water and found a ton of fish in the little side pockets/eddies. You'd never expect them to be there, but I guess they probably didnt have much other choice.

shon42073
07-23-2008, 05:04 PM
the kings were the ones with horizontal white and black stripes along there body. I've seen some of the ones that look like coral snakes up near the middle stan. what are those called, Actually a bueatiful critter, Thats coming from someone that hates snakes. As for camping there are alot of nice disperesd camping spots along silver fork road. I've never fished up near the lakes.

mike22ca
07-23-2008, 05:33 PM
Very nice. Yea black and white bands are California Kings, and the yellow/red/black are California Mountain Kings.

Mackattack
07-23-2008, 08:39 PM
You know mike22ca after reading about CCs experience with F&G I took a second look at your most beatifull lady angler and I could not see her fishing lic. I am thinking F&G is not as blind to perfection as I am ?

Mackattack

freon
07-24-2008, 06:19 AM
Congrats on the great fishing day Mike, nice to see that you get your gf out for a bit, nice pics ;)

mike22ca
07-24-2008, 09:14 AM
Oddly enough, I happen to have her one day right here:

http://home.comcast.net/~mkeck28/license.jpg

She had it on, we were just gonna play 'find the license' later

;)

Mackattack
07-24-2008, 11:17 AM
Way to go I bet you both won on that hunt. Good luck on your next outing.

Mackattack

svtBrandon
07-24-2008, 03:33 PM
Awesome man I love that creek. I used to camp there every year when I was a kid and go fishing up and down it - I also deer up in that area sometimes... But yes I've seen Rattlers in that area as high at 8000' and I've seen the King's before

cgagex3
07-24-2008, 03:50 PM
She had it on, we were just gonna play 'find the license' later

;)

OK Mike,
The color of the one day license was so close to her jacket that it must have been real hard to find it.. ;D

CG

Steve_M
07-24-2008, 05:36 PM
black and white *banded- Cal King snake's will kill and eat rattlesnakes.

Black red and yellow are Scarlet King Snakes..

These are both awesome Snakes... ;)

mike22ca
07-25-2008, 08:44 AM
black and white *banded- Cal King snake's will kill and eat rattlesnakes.

Black red and yellow are Scarlet King Snakes..

These are both awesome Snakes... ;)

Wrong my friend...

Black and white = California King = Lampropeltis Californiae = Yes, eats a multitude of other snakes including rattlesnakes.

Black/Red/Yellow = California Moutnain Kingsnake = Lampropeltis Zonata = Also eats a multitude of other snakes including rattlesnakes.

The Scarlet Kingsnake, triangulum elapsoides is only found back east. Yes its in the same family and its very similar looking.

I happen to know a thing or two about snakes ;) lol.