PDA

View Full Version : Power bait question

Majakat
07-16-2008, 04:11 PM
When you are shore fishing with powerbait, as many are successfully at davis- how do you cast it without a sinker, it is too light, but with a sinker, it...well...sinks- whats the trick, a bobber?

Catherine

3girlsdad
07-16-2008, 04:21 PM
USE SLIDING EGG SINKER SWIVEL THEN 10 TO 12 INCH LEADER, THE PB WILL FLOAT OFF THE BOTTOM...... LENGTH OF LEADER DEPENDS ON BOTTOM...WEEDS...ETC. HOPE THIS HELPS A LITTLE

BIG_ONE
07-16-2008, 05:35 PM
well, like 3girlsdad said, powerbait will float (if you put enough on the hook to float) ::) either use a 3 way swivel and use the leader lenght you like, with a bell sinker. Or...you can go with egg sinker on a swivel then your leader following, or...you can just put on a split shot and cast away you go.
About using bobbers for powerbait, if you want it to sink a little, gotta have a split shot under the bobber half way between your leader to your bobber, or you can go a little closer to the hook, but put at least a 4ft leader on it also, maybe 5ft, and when it floats, it'll be about 2-3ft under water, or 4ft if you have a longer leader with the split shot closer to your bait ;) good luck!

Captain Compassion
07-16-2008, 05:42 PM
I've actually caught trout that are actively feeding on the surface by floating PB without a weight. They slurp it up. You twitch it once in a while to get their attention. 8-)

CC

3girlsdad
07-16-2008, 05:49 PM
Capt. I have wanted to try pb on the surface.... Thank you! I'm going to try it

BIG_ONE
07-16-2008, 05:53 PM
Oh yeah, they'll hit a powerbait on the surface for sure, basically just about any depth. During the winter when they are swirling on the surface and sticking onto the surface most of the time, get ready to use those super duper and weight less powerbait ( sorry about mentioning super duper even though its not the idea of this thread ) want a little distance, throw out a clear bobber that is mainly made for fly fishing without a fly rod ;) works great!

Majakat
07-16-2008, 06:12 PM
I've actually caught trout that are actively feeding on the surface by floating PB without a weight. They slurp it up. You twitch it once in a while to get their attention. 8-)

CC

how do you cast it out though, isnt it too light?

SuperDave
07-16-2008, 06:15 PM

CC

how do you cast it out though, isnt it too light?

Bubble weight.

tinytrout
07-16-2008, 06:27 PM
Yea water bobber filled 2/3rd up small swivel and 2-3 foot leader. Also if you fill the bobber all the way up it will sink slowly and move around the bottom unlike a lead weight.

BuckSnort
07-16-2008, 10:38 PM
There are both floating and sinking powerbait. I always used floating for fishing off the bottom of the lake and sinking powerbait while using a bobber.

billfisher
07-17-2008, 10:27 AM
Catherine - The water filled bubbles they are talking about are the clear plastic ones with a tube through the middle. You will find them just about anywhere that carries tackle. You run your line through the tube (smaller end of tube first), then tie the line to a snap swivel, then add a leader between the swivel and the hook. You can then push the tube to open the bubble and let in as much water as you want. For good casting but still floating this means about 2/3 full. This same set up is used for shore casting flies on lakes and it also works well for this (but for flies I would use a light leader abut 8 or 9 fet long). When fishing this way with any kind of bait/fly (floating or sinking) you need to keep the rod in hand and keep all slack out of your line by slowly reeling in line when and as needed. Otherwise you will miss most of the fish that hit your bait due to the slack.

These bubbles come in different sizes. For the fishing you are talking about the ones that are about the size of a small walnut will get you out far enough, but you should also have some in th next larger size in case you want to go for a little more distance or you have some wind to contend with.

This is not just a shore method. You can also fish this way from your boat. Another method that can work well if there is a breeze is to let your boat drift and pull your bubble and bait or fly over the water surface. This creates a natural looking drift and covers a lot of water.

Add these bubbles to your tackle box and give them a try.

atavuss
07-17-2008, 03:37 PM
I use small treble hooks with PB, seem to get more and better hookups this way.

Majakat
07-18-2008, 12:36 PM
thanks all - i am going to try the clear bubble method next time we are out -

hooks
07-18-2008, 01:27 PM
Use sugar cubes to cast with. The sugar sinks and dissolves and your bait is out there with no weight or bobber.

Loop the line around the sugar cube and wrap a small rubber band around the cube.

BIG_ONE
07-18-2008, 05:05 PM
Use sugar cubes to cast with. The sugar sinks and dissolves and your bait is out there with no weight or bobber.

Loop the line around the sugar cube and wrap a small rubber band around the cube.

doesn't that kinda scratch your line a little? :-?

hooks
07-18-2008, 08:17 PM

doesn't that kinda scratch your line a little? :-?

Ya know I really don't know and have never even considered it. I guess it could. Probably not a good idea. Better to stick with the egg sinker with split shot crimped on the line or a bobber. [smiley=fishing1.gif]

Jetspray
07-19-2008, 06:14 AM
Main thing with casting PB is that anything that sticks to it makes it harder to cast. That is why most use egg sinkers above a swivel. Make sure the sinker "tunnel" is clear before putting on the line or leader (I carry a oversized stainless needle for that). Line lube helps too. Like was stated before it has to clear the vegitation line as well....Jetspray

Athlete24
07-19-2008, 09:09 AM
If you are using the bubble floats look for the ones that have surgical tubing through the middle. It is attatched to the bobber at one end and a waterproof cap at the other. You pull it apart to fill it up then the tubing holds it in place. Put your line through the tubing and twist it. The tubing rols flat and holds the bobber in place on your line. No need for a swivel.

shon42073
07-19-2008, 03:52 PM
To cast ultra light offerings you must use ultra light gear. a 5 foot ultra light spinning rod with 2 lb. mono should cast power bait or a peice of nightcrawler.

red_perception
07-20-2008, 11:31 AM
What about the rubber band , where does it go? In the lake? Isn't that littering? ::)Not to hi-jack but do any of you use the "Sinker Dropper" advertised on this site and if you do doesn't it bother you that you are wastefully unnecessarily putting harmful lead into the body of water where you catch and eat fish? :-? Good luck, Eric :)

hooks
07-20-2008, 12:05 PM
What about the rubber band , where does it go? In the lake? Isn't that littering? ::)Not to hi-jack but do any of you use the "Sinker Dropper" advertised on this site and if you do doesn't it bother you that you are wastefully unnecessarily putting harmful lead into the body of water where you catch and eat fish? :-? Good luck, Eric :)

LOL!! :D Loop the rubber band around the line and pull it through itself and cinch it down on the line, then attach the sugar cube. No lead weight, no bobber, only the hook with bait is out there.

You don't think that I would waste a perfectly good rubber band do you. :D

red_perception
07-20-2008, 02:26 PM
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;DJust hav'n fun brother ;), Good luck, Eric :)