PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow/Brown Trout Hybrid

tejedarichard
07-07-2008, 08:56 AM
I WAS UP IN YOSEMITE THIS WEEKEND AND CAUGHT SOME LITTLE BROWN TROUT AND RAINBOW TROUT BEAUTIFUL.THEN I CAUGHT A FISH 12 INCHES LONG THAT LOOKED LIKE A TROUT BUT IT HAD CIRCLE SPOTS LIKE A BROWN TROUT. I ASKED SOME GUIDE GUY IF IT WAS A HYBRID AND HE SAID YES. IS THIS TRUE? THERE'S RAINBOW/BROWN HYBRIDS? I CAN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO POST A PIC.

JMat
07-07-2008, 09:30 AM
Rainbow and Browns spawn at different times of the year so the chance of a naturally occurring hybrid is slim. Probably a Brook Trout. They have circle spots but are usually dark along their back and the leading edge of the pectoral fin has a white stripe. *The lakes and streams of Yosemite are full of them too.

JMat

tejedarichard
07-07-2008, 09:32 AM
THANKS FOR THE REPLY. CAN I EMAIL YOU A PICTURE?

JMat
07-07-2008, 09:38 AM
Sure. I will PM you my email address.

JMat

JMat
07-07-2008, 10:12 AM
tejedarichard,

I see your dilema but it's a Rainbow. Maybe someone on this forum can help you post the picture and you can get more input. *Based on the mouth, the fins and the coloration I'm saying Rainbow. *I could be wrong though. *Hope this helps.

JMat

tejedarichard
07-07-2008, 10:16 AM
THANKS BUD ILL TRY AND POST A PICTURE.

tejedarichard
07-07-2008, 10:28 AM
HOPEFULLY THIS WORKS. HERE'S A PICTURE ANY HELP IDENTIFYING THIS TROUT.
C:\Documents and Settings\richard\Desktop\YOSEMITE JULY 4TH 2008 010.JPG
OK IT DIDN'T WORK HOW DO YOU POST A PIC?

hooks
07-07-2008, 10:36 AM
check your messages :)

hooks
07-07-2008, 10:59 AM
Here it tiz!! Rainbow IMHO

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s288/hooks-pic/rainbowbrownhybrid-1.jpg

tejedarichard
07-07-2008, 11:05 AM
WOW. THANKS HOOKS FOR THE HELP! SO IT'S A RAINBOW?? IT LOOKS SO MUCH DIFFERENT FROM THE NATURAL RAINBOWS OUT OF TAHOE. IS THIS A DIFFERENT TYPE OF RAINBOW? I CAUGHT IT OUT OF THE TOULOMNE RIVER?

SuperDave
07-07-2008, 11:10 AM
Gorgeous fish!

metalmouth
07-07-2008, 11:25 AM
It looks like a Rainbow Tripiloid or Kamaloop hybrid. Nice fish!

Don

hooks
07-07-2008, 11:36 AM
A friend of mine caught one similar to this one, only with about 1/2 the spots, out of Stampede this spring. He called me and another friend to ID it with him. Rainbow

That is a beautiful fish! What size?

tejedarichard
07-07-2008, 11:45 AM
HE WAS 12 INCHES AND CAUGHT OF A ADAMS FLY

metalmouth
07-07-2008, 11:50 AM
We have a lot of them planted in Idaho and Montana. The spotting is completely different than the standard Rainbow and big spot extend to the tip of the nose and the fish is spectacular. 50% of the Bows we caught at Clark were of that variety and 50% were the standard California strain of Rainbow.

JMat
07-07-2008, 11:56 AM
You said you caught this in the Tuolumne River... Were you up in Tuolumne Meadow or further down stream somewhere?

TahoeJeff
07-07-2008, 01:00 PM
The spotting and coloration remind me a bit of a cutthroat.

tejedarichard
07-07-2008, 01:11 PM
TOULOMNE MEADOWS IS WHERE I CAUGHT A COUPLE BROWN
TROUT AND A BEAUTIFUL LITTLE RAINBOW I RELEASED THESE AND KEPT THE ONE THAT DIDN'T LOOK LIKE THE TRADITIONAL TROUT BECAUSE I WANTED TO HAVE IT IDENTIFIED. ANY HOW I CAUGHT THIS ONE ABOVE RAINBOW POOL. I LOVED THE SCENERY HADN'T BEEN THERE IN 20 YEARS. I TOOK MY 7 YEAR OLD HE LOVED IT. HE CAUGHT 3 STOCKED TROUT OUT AT MOCASSIN CREEK UNDER THE BRIDGE IN 20 MINUTES ON POWER BAIT HE OUT FISHED ME 3 TO NONE. IT WAS GREAT.

knucklehead
07-07-2008, 01:54 PM
My 1st impression of the photo. The spots and coloration of the bottom 1/2 of the fish looks Lahontan cutt. The top half looks rainbow trout. There doesn't appear to be a slash mark at the throat. I was thinking rainbow/lahontan hybrid, but in the Tuolomne, that just don't make NO sense!

edited:
Oh yeah, that fish sure is a Beut though. Congrats.

joshc40
07-07-2008, 01:55 PM
I CAUGHT ONE OF THOSE AT WOODS LAKE ON FOURTH OF JULY! I KNEW IT WAS A BROWN AND RAINBOW HYBRID! THANKS FOR THE POST!

metalmouth
07-07-2008, 02:36 PM
It's not a Bow Brown Hybrid. ::)

drstressor
07-07-2008, 03:02 PM
There is no such thing as a rainbow/brown hybrid. The cross doesn't produce viable offspring. They are two different genus of fish.

The jawline is too short for a cuttbow. That's just a wild stream rainbow. You guys are too used to seeing Eagle Lake strain planters. There is lots of genetic variation in rainbow trout and when that variation interacts with different wild environments, you get different looking fish.

hooks
07-07-2008, 03:21 PM
Is it just me or are the spots on that fish moving? It looks a like it's getting a little brown too?

red_perception
07-07-2008, 03:48 PM
Yep Doc, after seeing too many planters folks just don't recognize a wild Bow. The coloration of that particular fish, I would say is from the specefic environment it inhabits. Definately a pretty fish, Congrats and good luck, Eric :) Ps: it is a Brown hasn't anyone ever caught a Brown. :D

Globetrouter
07-07-2008, 08:48 PM
I thought I would chime in as well. I just spent a week and a half in the heart of BC Canada. I fished the heck out the lakes there and caught a TON on Rainbows. They either looked exactly like that or the same spot pattern with the coolest purple stripe down the side. Oh I also caught a 24" Bull trout. A first for me. Just my .02

trout_magnet
07-07-2008, 11:17 PM
I'm far from an expert, but when I saw that pic I immediately said "that's a rainbow"

BIG_ONE
07-07-2008, 11:52 PM
hmm, almost look like a cutthroat and a rainbow hybrid also...

tejedarichard
07-08-2008, 07:42 AM
HERE'S ANOTHER PICTURE SHOWING THE SPOTS BETTER AND IT'S STILL ALIVE WHEN THE PICTURES WERE TAKEN. IN THE SAME RIVER I CAUGHT A BABY RAINBOW THAT LOOKED LIKE A RAINBOW AND A BABY BROWN YELLOW WITH RED DOTS.
http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p411/TEJEDARICHARD/YOSEMITEJULY4TH2008012.jpg

drstressor
07-08-2008, 07:51 AM
Rainbow/cutthroat hybrids can be difficult to ID without DNA analysis. They can look like anything from a pure rainbow to a pure cutt. But they almost always have a jaw that starts behind the eye and they tend to lack the white edges on the ventral fins that are characteristic of a pure rainbow. There is nothing about that fish that doesn't say pure rainbow.

jiggity49
07-08-2008, 08:00 AM
Looks like a bow to me, I've caught lots of bows and notice that lots fo fish look different from one another. Looks like it's probably a wild fish, nice!

tejedarichard
07-08-2008, 08:01 AM
I THINK EVERYBODYS RIGHT WHEN THEY SAY PURE RAINBOW THAT ADAPTED TO ITS ENVIROMENT. WANNA SEE A PURE RAINBOW FROM LAKE TAHOE.WHAT A DIFFERENCE. HUH.
http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p411/TEJEDARICHARD/SNIFFER1.jpg

BIG_ONE
07-08-2008, 09:13 AM
Yep, now thats a pure rainbow, any stocked rainbow would be the pure ones...i think ::) ;D

tejedarichard
07-08-2008, 09:32 AM
YES THEY DO STOCK LAKE TAHOE WITH TROUT BUT THIS ONE HAD PINK MEAT. IT WAS GREAT. MAYBE HE CAME FROM ONE OF THE CREEKS OR SOMETHING. ANYBODY KNOW?

cyclocross
07-08-2008, 10:15 AM
I think pink meat doesn't mean it wasn't stocked. it could be a holdover that has adapted to eat the freshwater crustaceans or fish that eat them.

i've actually always been meaning to find out - how quickly does meat change color? can it change dramatically throughout a year based on the diet changing? for example flies in summer then crustaceans later?

fish4ever
07-08-2008, 10:22 AM
Maybe................... there protein spots? I have heard, that bass get them sometimes when they eat alot of one thing ?????? * :-?

BIG_ONE
07-08-2008, 11:08 AM
too much pink meat eating? like the flamingo? ;D

The_Big_Sinus
07-08-2008, 02:43 PM
how quickly does meat change color? can it change dramatically throughout a year based on the diet changing? for example flies in summer then crustaceans later?

I don't know exactly, but "yes", the color can change dramatically over the year. I see it most often in brown trout I catch in Caples and Silver- they eat a lot of crawdads in the summertime (when they molt and have soft shells and are mobile and such), and then eat a lot of fish in the winter- sometimes you will see fillets that literally change color over their length (and these are fresh fillets). I would imagine this is true of all kinds of trout with varied diets from season to season. Trout can also pick up coloration from eating other fish that eat crustaceans- as in when the big fish eat kokanee.

troutfan
07-08-2008, 04:53 PM
That is a very nice looking Rainbow. I remember when I was very young I used to fish Bishop Creek and every once in awhile I would catch a small wild fish that looked exactly like a typical Rainbow but it would have the distinctive red dots like a Brown. I was convinced that it was a 'Bow/Brown hybrid. Now that the good doctor has enlightened us I have to believe it was a very non-typically colored Brown. You learn something every day. Thanks Doc. 8-)

Mickey_Thomas
07-08-2008, 04:57 PM
The planters at Eagle Lake come out of the truck with orange/red meat, it all depends on what the stockers are fed on the farm ;) :)

EGWaterGuy
07-08-2008, 10:37 PM
I am familiar with the Toulumne River and this is just a Rainbow, no cutbow or bow brown cross. It is just a wild fish or it could be a hatchery fish. They do plant a lot of fish in rainbow pool and at Yosemite Pines above the falls that lead to the pool. I have caught some fish on the Toulumne that have looked identical to the fish in the picture. The small wild fish found in this stream have the same spotting. The fish I have caught above rainbow pool in the 2 miles of stream I fish every opener have been very similar to this one. But if you go down into the canyon below Clavey the fish tend to look more like descendants from the steelhead that used to run the river. Also some very big trout can be found in the canyon, my best from the toulumne was 28 inches below clavey, above rainbow my best was 21 inches. I fish this area alot durring the opening weeks and then again during deer season

Trav

tejedarichard
07-09-2008, 12:08 PM
THANKS FOR THE REPORT. WHERE EXACLTY DOES THE CLAVEY COME IN? I COULDN'T FIND IT ON THE MAP.

doccjc
07-09-2008, 03:41 PM
looked like a bow to me too,,, I'm getting better at fish ID.... ;D

EGWaterGuy
07-09-2008, 05:12 PM
The Clavey is a small stream that comes into the Toulumne river down in the canyon about 8 miles below the mouth of Cherry Creek, It is deep down in the Canyon and I usually ride the horse to get down in there, this time of year is no good, as it is hotter than you know what.

dark_knite03
07-09-2008, 06:03 PM
Looks exactly like the stocked rainbows we catch here in WV.

fishwish
07-09-2008, 06:19 PM
Since we've ruled out brown bows, can I hijack to RB variation?...... I caught this guy from the truckee, I think this May. Strangest lookin bow I've brought in. His color was tarnished bronze over whole body with hardly a spot below lateral line :o I've been wondering if this sort of guy is common and what kind of roots he sprang from? Sorry, cell pic.
http://i33.tinypic.com/351xsoh.jpg

metalmouth
07-09-2008, 06:32 PM
Beautiful fish! That's a really cool pic.

MM

Captain Compassion
07-09-2008, 08:31 PM
The jawline is too short for a cuttbow. That's just a wild stream rainbow.

Head of 21 inch Bowcutt Trout Topaz Lake Nevada.
http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/bchead.jpg

tejedarichard
07-09-2008, 10:17 PM
That's a great picture fishwish it makes you think anythings possible with nature because that looks like a brown/rainbow hybrid to me.Oh well. I just love the variety. That's a great pic. for a cell phone.

Slim
07-09-2008, 10:36 PM
Thats what a bow is supose to look like, ;D not like those silver lookin Planters from the hatcherys!!!

They are planting different bows lately . Before I can say what they are maybe I call and find out what is going on. I hear Eagle lake trout are being planted but that's just a rumor so don't quote me on that !!

Anyway , nice fish !!

Slim

PickLeNose
07-10-2008, 03:10 AM
Since we've ruled out brown bows, can I hijack to RB variation?...... I caught this guy from the truckee, I think this May. Strangest lookin bow I've brought in. His color was tarnished bronze over whole body with hardly a spot below lateral line :o I've been wondering if this sort of guy is common and what kind of roots he sprang from? Sorry, cell pic.
http://i33.tinypic.com/351xsoh.jpg

THats a buck rainbow in its spawning colors, was probably just about to spawn or had just finished. My theory is that they color like that so they blend into the bottom better in shallower spawning waters. But hey, NICE fish mate :))

Bob

GOLDENTROUT
07-10-2008, 07:08 AM
Nice pic's guys! fishwish thats a male cutbow. Look how long the top jaw is. If it's behind the eye when the mouth is closed it's a cross or cutthroat. On rainbows the top jaw is from the back of the eye forward. Doc what about brook/bows or Mack/Browns jk ;D ;D ;D
Tight lines GT.

mrsockeye
07-10-2008, 04:30 PM
Allright, I'm not the Doc but I'll chime in. Coloration will vary throughout the year, in accordance with what the fish are doing, and their enviroment. They will be bright silver in a big deep lake, when they are hanging in deep water, you will see this in lakes like Shasta, where they are acting just like their seagoing sisters, the steelhead. Raibows are identical to steelies, they just simply don't go to the ocean. The dark bronze colored bow from the Truckee is in spawn or post spawn mode. The Truckee is a fairly high elevation stream, and fish will be spawning around that time. The bronze color is the fishes spawning color, males will be darker than females generally speaking, much like steelhead. If you have ever kept a female steelhead that was silver, but had white meat, then you know what I'm talking about, their metamorphsis isn't as strong as the male's. As far as trout strains go within the species, it is almost always enviromental. The bow from Tahoe has probably been in shallow water for sometime, and its spotting is more dominant, as are its colors. As far as Hybrids go, there is the Tiger Trout, which I'm surprised Doc didn't metion. It is a cross of two genuses, Salmo Trutta the brown trout, and Salvelinius Fontanales (not sure how to spell that) a.k.a brook trout. Brook trout also can hybridize with mackinaw, and this forms the "Splake" which is a commonly planted fish in the northeast. Most hybrids are sterile. But, for everbody's knowledge, spotting size, patterning, and the likes vary from fish to fish, even in a given body of water. As far as meat color goes, entirely reliant on the fish's diet. Salmonids will have orange meat if their diet includes crustaceans, such as crawdads, shrimp etc.

fishwish
07-10-2008, 06:40 PM
Thanks Sniffers for the good info. Looking at the picture, I see that I was in the river wearing shorts. Must have been late may or early june. Spawned out male ready for a nap ;D I remember he hit at the end of the retrieve and didn't put much effort toward escape.
Cutt hybrid would explain the lack of spots. The jawline was ambiguous to me.

Fish_R_Us
07-14-2008, 01:44 PM
We caught a fair number of 10" -12"ers, similar to the picture up in BC, Canada. We were up in the Lac La Hatch Lakes area 1/2 way between Vancouver and The Thompson River Drainage. They were hitting on a 1/4 oz. red/silver Super Duper, retreived as slow as possible. The locals told us that they were Kamloops Rainbows.