PDA

View Full Version : margaret, shealor, emigrant or evergreen lakes?

cyclocross
06-26-2008, 10:33 PM
hi folks, new to the board.

I'm heading up to camp near carson this weekend, and want to try a few new lakes than my favorites. wondering if anyone has fished lake margaret (near caples and kirkwood xc)? how about shealor lakes south east of kirkwood?

anything good at emigrant lake?

okay, last one, evergreen, the little off trail lake near the blue lakes?

I love fishing the mtn lakes and typically make a trip a month from june-october. although I fly fish, I typically do spin with lures or casting bubbles. friends and wife will be in tow, so hoping to find a lake that has some fish to make it interesting for them. they like to catch brookies but I'm up for anything.

thanks for any input, and look forward to participating here.

BreakofDawn
06-27-2008, 05:33 AM
Hey cyclocross,

I have only fished Margaret! It is about an hour hike back there. Really easy too. Once you get into the meadow it is pretty flat. I have been back there twice and both time have caught brooks. Nothing of any size but it is fun. The lake is not that big and you may find people camping back there! We used yellow and black panther martins. If you go let me know how you do! Happy trails...

cyclocross
06-27-2008, 08:45 AM
thanks break of dawn...were they pretty plentiful there? the lake was pretty? we might check that out. shealor sounded the nicest but haven't heard anything about the fishing there.

I like granite lake and fourth of july but always nice to explore a new area. We might check out margaret one of the days.

BreakofDawn
06-27-2008, 09:03 AM
I like Granite as well but have only made it to Roundtop Lake! How is Fourth of July?

Plenty of fish in Margget! The water was boiling both times ;D The Lake is pretty small and as far a beauty goes...It is not the prettiest lake with views around but it is still worth the trip back there. If you go you will come to a pond first. But stop there you still have about twenty minutes to go. The trail is marked well and you should not have a problem following it! We hiked in at the break of dawn ;D and were out of there by noon! I am on sure of the creek that flows through the meadow there but I would love to fly fish that! Shealor does sound fun, if it is any good I wouldn't mind given it a shot. Evergreen too. I will have to look at my topo to see where that is. I hiked into Grouse lake (dead lake)last year for nothing 13 miles around trip. Fun hike but lousy fishing ;D

lcha5
06-27-2008, 09:59 AM
How far and rough is the hike into Lake Margaret? I have a few kids, youngest is 3 years old? Thanks.

BreakofDawn
06-27-2008, 10:58 AM
Icha5,

Its about 2 1/2 miles or an hours hike. It is a really eazy hike. Most of it is through a meadow. The first few hundred yards is the toughtest. You make your way down a hill side. After that it is really flat. Should be great for the kids.

JMat
06-27-2008, 06:50 PM
cyclocross,

I agree with BOD about Margaret, it's a very easy hike as they go and there's quite a few nice little brookies in there. As for Shealor, it's a very short hike, wouldn't be surprised if it's under 1.2 miles. I've hiked in there a dozen time but for some reason I've never fished it. It's more than deep enough but there's alot of pressure and alot of people that go there to swim. Huh, maybe I'll take a pole up there next weekend. Emigrant Lake is a good 4 mile hike, you'll spend alot of time walking around Caples on your way there though. The problem with most of these lakes now is the fact that DFG doesn't stock them anymore, you'll still find some resident brookies but that's about it. Hope this helps.

BreakofDawn, I heard Grouse Lake was filled with Goldens. ;)

JMat

BreakofDawn
06-27-2008, 08:14 PM
JMAtt,
Thats what I heard too, Maybe it was the wrong time of the year ;) ;D

cyclocross
07-01-2008, 02:23 AM
thanks guys. yeah, I was pretty familiar with the hiking distances but not so familiar with the fishing. but I'm back now, and here's my report.

hit lake margaret trailhead at noon on saturday and arrived 1 hour later, just as BoD said. we arrived to see a father and two little boys pack up their catch - 4 big brookies, the biggest around 15", a big male with a giant mouth. it must have been quite old. I haven't seen a mouth that big since fishing schuler lake which is sterile by now. they were using worms floated off the bottom, but didn't really even know what they caught (type of fish). they lost another one (with hook in stomach). we were pretty psyched with their luck, and strung up our rods in the heat of the day.

well, 7 casts later on my lure I landed a 12" brookie - not bad. thought it was a good sign. but the four of us went fishless the rest of the day. We had a few other bites, but nothing going. They left us their worms and I even tried that briefly, but no beans. oh well.

contrary to BoD's experience, I think the lake has had some tough time reproducing lately, and while size is way up, quantity is way down. BoD, how many years ago was your visit? Wonder if that was closer to the air drops. the brookie had a nice deep orange flesh, from its bottom diet. was very tasty.

we fished the stream along the trail on the way back (flow from caples I think) and caught a few small ones that were released. fun, pretty fish (brookies).

next day, we decided to hit shealor lakes. 300 yards up the trail, we ran into 3 boys who had backpacked in the day before. they said they didn't catch or see anything, and the once deeper lake was now just 14 feet deep due to erosion and sediment fill. we looked at each other and since nobody caught besides me the previous day, the rest were motivated to catch, and so we got back in the car and drove up 88.

the destination was granite lake by blue lakes. the women decided after the drive to hang out at upper blue lake. so us two guys made the hike. it was my third visit to the lake. first trip landed a 15" cut, next trip lost 3 fish. we fished the lake clockwise, and saw a bunch of cuts swimming 1' from shore, or hanging out in the undercut banks eating nymphs or small fish. they would not glance at a lure.

in the deeper areas, we saw about 5 big cuts swimming around 10' down. not much interest in lures. there were some big fish though - up to 17". i eventually caught one, and then lost 2 more. about 13'. the flesh was a nice mild pink, and it was great. i love mtn. cuts...pretty salmon like and fatty.

so granite is back on my positive list, but the fishing was not fast or hot for sure. nice to see a sustaining population of cuts though. lots of food in the lake - some darker small baitfish in the lake - anyone know what that is? also saw some baby trout too.

that's it for now. 4 more trips left this summer. not a terrible start but wish I could have helped my friends catch something. sometimes it's not fun when you're the only one catching!

JMat
07-01-2008, 05:44 AM
cyclocross,

Great report! We had a similar experience with cutts at Raymond Lake this past weekend. *They're in full on spawning mode now and aren't thinking about much else.

JMat

BreakofDawn
07-01-2008, 06:16 AM
Cyclocross,

Awesome! I am glad you got out. I went into margaret around 2003 or 04 can't remember. You have to remeber the early worm gets eaten by the fish. ;) We started out on the trailhead at 5 am and were back there by 6. The fish were eating the morning hatch and that had to of lasted until 9 o'clock or so. What time did the other group get there? The thing with Margaret is that is is not that big! Not very many places to fish it. We were out of there by 9:30. Still it is cool to say you been there and now can cross it off your list. ;D

I have to stand corrected on Granite. I was telling Jmatt and Fish Bully this weekend that they were brookies in that lake. So I am publicly admitting I was wrong :-[ :( ;D ;D Sorry guys for being so stubburn :)

cyclocross
07-01-2008, 01:04 PM
BoD,

There are actually two granite lakes in the area - one sort of near silver lake, and another near blue lakes. I'm not sure if you were thinking of the same one - but the one by the blue lakes have cutts, as does most of the lakes in the area (blue, meadow).

The other granite could have brookies - not familiar with it. Is that the one you're thinking of?

heading to kaiser this weekend. anyone have some experience there to share?

BreakofDawn
07-01-2008, 01:11 PM
We are talking about the same granite Lake. Beautiful lake! I wish I had more time there and do plan on going back. I had a few on but lost them on the fight. Good luck this weekend. As far as Kiaser goes I think JMatt might know something about it but I have never been there. Until next time Happy trails... ;D