PDA

View Full Version : C.A.S.T. Program what a good Time.

Woody
06-28-2008, 08:48 PM
Took time out from fishing for me and gave back a little. But I have to say I got so much out of it I'm still not sure it wasn't for me.

We had Ellie and her parents on the boat with us today. Boy were they good people. Ellie was great she loved driving the boat but hated having her dad help her.
She had the biggest smile once we finally got a fish in the boat. That was until I was holding it in front of her, so dad could take a picture and it flopped out of my hands and landed on her lap. Then all she could talk about was that fish are real slimy.

Fishing over all was tuff today.

By the time we got the kids on the boats and the boats in the water it was almost 9am. Got to Heron bay and there had to be 30 boats. We started setting rods and had a fish hooked up before I could get the third rod in the water. Lost it at the boat but I was thinking OK this will be good had two more take downs but they didn't stick. Started switching things up and caught one on a hot tiger rapala. By the time we left Heron bay there were more boats on DV then I have ever seen. I think the CAST program had about 30 boat volunteers.

3.5 thanks for stepping up at the last minute to volunteer. For everyone else that volunteered it was nice meeting you and thanks for taking the time to help the children that are less furtunate.

Woody

Old_School
06-28-2008, 10:36 PM
Nice job Woody. If I have a chance I would of liked to join in. That family must have had the luck of the draw cuz you probably had the comfiest boat on the water!

ken_fishnfool
06-29-2008, 06:29 AM
Good one Woody!!
I was out there in my tube and was happily amazed at how many boats went by with kids in them! It seemed that they were all HAPPY kids too! :)

johnbfishin
06-29-2008, 06:44 AM
Nice going Woody. It sounds like it was a success and kudos to all that pitched in to make a memorable day for the kids and parents. 8-)

Woody
06-29-2008, 07:56 AM
All next year I will make sure everyone knows about the event well in advance.
It really doesnít matter what size boat you have they do a good job pairing the kids with the right boat.

There was a guy with a 14ft aluminum he actually caught the most fish. But they paired him with a child that was smaller and his older sister as the guardian.

We had Ellie who was totally dependant on her wheel chair and her parents who didn't think they would both be able to go out on the boat. So that was good times for all when I said I had room for everyone on the boat.
We even got the Fishsniffer recognized during the awards ceremony at the end.

Thanks Again
Woody

johnbfishin
06-29-2008, 08:39 AM
All next year I will make sure everyone knows about the event well in advance. **

Please do Woody. Turns out that I had to work yesterday anyway but this sounds like it would be fun and as you said very rewarding.

crank_bait
06-29-2008, 11:07 AM
what is the "cast" program ??

Woody
06-29-2008, 11:58 AM
Crank Bait In a nut shell it is a program that gets kids with physical disabilities out on the water for a few hrs of fishing. Afterwards there is a BBQ and awards ceramony for the kids.

C.A.S.T. stands for Catch A Special Thrill

Woody

CHEESECAKELADY
06-29-2008, 12:19 PM
Great job Woody. That sounds like something we could do too so please announce the arrival of this event in advance next year. We have both participated in kids fishing derbys in the past but never with the boat. Sounds like fun.

Dee

crank_bait
06-29-2008, 01:45 PM
thxx woody for the explanation. i, myself am handicapped. i have a good friend that makes sure i have the opportunity to fish every time he pulls his boat out.

06-29-2008, 02:28 PM
As Woody say's it was a kick. Real good time and the kids were great. Thanks for letting me know about the program. Will be there again.

fishnmike2002
06-29-2008, 06:47 PM
Good for you Woody. Those are fun events.

FishnMike

SOUTH_BAY_FISHER
06-30-2008, 10:10 AM
Way to go man that sounds like an awsome weekend not only for you but for every one. Out of cuiosity do you know if the program is national or if it is CA specific i ask because i would love to be involved but live in CO

Ben

reeltor
06-30-2008, 10:33 AM
We participated in the CAST event at New Melones in early June, and it was all coordinated through the park rangers there. I know it is held at several locations around northern CA - here is the local contact who may be able to give you further details...

Ranger Leanne Bryan 209.536.9094 x217
lbryan@mp.usbr.gov

We had a blast (kids and adults), and they hope for even greater participation with boat owners next year.

Reeltor

arima_fan
06-30-2008, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the report Woody, I wish I could've been there.
Unfortunately, like I said before, I had to work and couldn't get the day off.
Next year I'll make sure to participate.
Seeing how unfortunate and rotten lives some of those kids had been dealt, really makes you think twice before complaining about little bumps in our roads.

kokedealer
06-30-2008, 12:29 PM
Nice job volunteering Woody! I didnít know about the event and that had to be the most boats Iíve ever seen out there.
Iíd like to volunteer next time.

I hope you were able to retrieve the rapala that I hung on your DR cable so that you at least earned something for the troubles(I think that was you- I was in the camo jon with the merc on it with my girlfriend) Ė I hope that didnít cause too much trouble for ya - sorry Ė it wasnít obvious that I had a longer third line out (not quite a long topline, but def. longer than my DR lines)

-Jeremy

Cali2003
06-30-2008, 07:15 PM
I would love to participate in the CAST event again. I beleive the kids had a great time. I know Ryan, the young boy I took on the boat really enjoyed his time out in the boat. His father also had a great time as well. We only caught one trout but I think that was due to the heavy boat traffic and how late we got out into the water.

If anyone in the future would like to donate their time for a young person who is less fortunate than others I would highly recommend the CAST program. The program was well organized and all involved were very friendly. We were serveants to the kids for the day and they deserved it! :)

YakMotor
06-30-2008, 11:27 PM
I was the photog for at least two CAST events held at Lake Berryessa in years past. I can attest to it being a very well organized effort enjoyed by all ... kids and volunteers! I believe it was a bass club or group of bass boaters who knew each other that provided many of the boats that ranged from small aluminum to larger pontoon patio type boats that were best for accommodating wheelchairs and other special equipment the handicapped kids required.

Sheesh, I can't even remember what time of year it was held ... hummm lake was full and it wasn't too hot so late spring to early summer. For someone interested in participating if info cannot be found online a call to the rangers at Berryessa would get you some leads on who to contact. I'm sure the organizers would appreciate any extra help.