PDA

View Full Version : Fishing and Camping around sonoma bridge area

hoosierboy
06-22-2008, 07:19 PM
Gentleman and ladies I am looking at doing some camping and fishing down at the sonoma bridge area this upcoming fourth of july weekend. Was wondering what kind of fishing works best and if you can fish the small lakes around this area? What type of fish inhabit this area and such any info would greatly be appreciated.

Hoosierboy

Captain Compassion
06-22-2008, 07:23 PM
Sonoma bridge? Do you mean Sonora Bridge on 108 and the West Walker?

CC

hoosierboy
06-22-2008, 07:25 PM
yes that would be the one thanks captain for correcting me on that I couldnt remeber how it was spelled.

Captain Compassion
06-22-2008, 08:03 PM
yes that would be the one thanks captain for correcting me on that I couldnt remeber how it was spelled.

Excellent choice. During the season I go there nearly once a week. At Sonora Bridge which is on 108 there is a campground and a day use area. Never stayed at the CG. I always picnic at the day use area. The fishing is for trout. Fish from the bridge down through the meadow for Bows. Use 1/8 to 1/4 oz gold and black Panther Martin, small jigs like Trout Traps or Lip Ripperz. Worms and Gulp Eggs work as well. Just east of the CG is a small parking area where you can walk up to Kirman Lake. If you can hump a tube and gear for three miles there are large Brooks and Cutts here. There are fishing restrictions.

Above Sonora Bridge is pickel Meadow. There is no camping here but there is a parking area and access to miles of river. Above Pickel is Levitt Meadow. Here is a very nice camp ground. Fishing below the CG is for stockers and Alpers Bows. Above the CG there are wild browns and bows.

Going east of Sonora Bridge 108 ends at 395. Go north for a mile or so to the first bridge. This is the Little Walker. Fish from the bridge down to the confluence of the Walker River for Bows and small Browns. North of here is the canyon of the West Walker. There are campgrounds at Chris Flat and Bootleg. During the summer big Alpers Bows are stocked here.

CC

hoosierboy
06-23-2008, 08:29 PM
Thanks Captain I really appreciate all the info. I thingk I might try and catch a couple of them brook trout never caught one but might as well try. I cant wait to get there and experience some of the fishing in that area now. Hopefully I will due good and will post some pics when I get back.