PDA

View Full Version : Heading to Collins Lake...

Steelyhead
06-19-2008, 09:05 AM
Anybody have any recent news on Collins Lake? How is the water level these days? I'm heading up for the weekend with the family and hope to catch some trout. I went a few years ago and fished three days and caught nada (one catfish when I decided to leave the line out overnight; that was no fun...). Anyways, any tips would be very much appreciated. I'd like to know what the best bait/lure is, area to concentrate on, etc.

Thanks in advance,
S

GW_Extreme
06-19-2008, 09:17 AM
Try their website if you don't get any responses, it usually is up to date.

Steelyhead
06-19-2008, 09:30 AM
Try their website if you don't get any responses, it usually is up to date.
Thanks GW. I had been checking the website and it says fishing is great! Only problem is I ran into a guy who was there two weeks ago and he said the water was real low and he saw only two fish caught all weekend... *:( Now he's not exactly a fisherman... but the website also doesn't say anything about the water being real low. I'm camping with a decent size group but only a few of us are fisherman and need to satisfy the urge while we're there. Since we'll most likely be ditching everyone else... It will be much more satisfing if we return with fish :)

Hope to hear some good news. Tight lines!

S

fishnchips
06-19-2008, 09:45 AM
try trolling with flashers and a worm....if you don't get a bite add 1 oz of weight...still no bite go 2 oz of weight....keep adding weight till you find the fish...if fishing from shore use chartruse powerbait, 2 feet up from a sliding sinker with a small treblehook...good luck

Steelyhead
06-19-2008, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the tips FnC! I'll give it a go. If the trout aren't biting maybe the crappie or catfish will. I'll let you know how it goes :)

gearbox
06-19-2008, 12:35 PM
I'll let you know how it goes :)
Please do :)

Steelyhead
06-23-2008, 09:09 AM
Trout were hitting all weekend. Trolling was terribble though... couldn't find the right place to get the bite. Dropped anchor and decided to fish off bottom a bit. I forgot to pick up night crawlers but had some of the GULP! crawlers. Threaded one on... We got "fish on!" about every 5 minutes. Good size trout. Roughly 16-20". Perfect for the campfire :). Saw another guy fishing off the shore near our campground all weekend. He was slaying them on Green Powerbait (He easily had more than his limit...). The kids took some dough bait out at night and caught a 6lb catfish. About 2.5ft long! The lake was real low. I caught my limit first day and spent the rest of the weekend with the wife and kids, kayaking, swimming, etc.

All in all... great time at Collins!

S