PDA

View Full Version : hELLGRAMMITES

fish04
06-14-2008, 02:08 PM
Does anyone have a source for buying Hellgrammites? Years ago you could buy them but lost our supplier over here.
Fish04
Don

Slim
06-14-2008, 03:44 PM
Does anyone have a source for buying Hellgrammites? Years ago you could buy them but lost our supplier over here.
Fish04
Don

Sorry nope.

But in a local creek when I was sifting the waters to find bugs to photograph, I found a few. Maybe I could go back and collect a few to sell to you *;) Hu?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/slim1/Bugs%202/Helgramite2.jpg

Slim

Athlete24
06-14-2008, 05:08 PM
How big do those get? I have heard some longtime fishermen telling me to find them under rocks in the stream and put them on my hook. They say they are some of the best bait you can use.

Chadzilla
06-14-2008, 11:13 PM
How big do those get? *I have heard some longtime fishermen telling me to find them under rocks in the stream and put them on my hook. *They say they are some of the best bait you can use.
Just be careful if you use them... they bite, and it hurts.

twoelk48
06-15-2008, 04:49 AM
WE use to get them all the time when dad was a seasonal ranger naturlist in Yosemite in the summer. What a great way to spend summer vacations. There is a creek that enters the Merced River after you enter the park and it always had them in it in various stages. Don your right great bait even when they are just pupa in their stone casings and you pinch off the back end of the stone casing and pull them out for bait. Kent

Mr_Ed
06-15-2008, 06:54 AM
As kids we just found the pupa............
They had black heads and a white body.

Pretty small,needed a salmon egg hook or at least two to a hook.

Great for the small Sierrs streams. ;)

Denny1969
06-15-2008, 07:27 AM
I always have hellgramite patterns in my fly box.

Denny

johnbfishin
06-15-2008, 07:39 AM
As kids we just found the pupa............
They had black heads and a white body.

Pretty small,needed a salmon egg hook or at least two to a hook.

Great for the small Sierrs streams. ;)

Same here, nothing fancy just put'em on a hook. ;)

Zucca
06-15-2008, 08:40 AM
It appears that some of you are confused as to what a hellgrammite is and what it is not. The hellgrammite is the larva of the dobson fly and it the one pictured in the second post on this thread. It is quite large (some as long as 4 inches) and is a favorite food of river smallmouth bass. The other larvae and pupae that most of you are talking about are caddis larvae (with cases) and larvae of stoneflies, etc.

sweetfish
06-15-2008, 12:52 PM
We would take a screen off the window, (I can still see the glare from my beautiful wife) and one man down stream 2 ft catching what I would release by turning over the rocks, filling the waterfilled tuperware quic and, Fishon!

johnbfishin
06-15-2008, 10:52 PM
It appears that some of you are confused as to what a hellgrammite is and what it is not. *

As a kid there was no confusion.....you found something under a stone and put it on the hook. ;) 8-)

waterdog
06-16-2008, 06:58 AM
Hellgramite's and similar larva are just simply killer baits. I have never seen them for sale but as a kid I'd just turn over stones in streams and grab what ever came out. Put it on a hook and fish on. I still on ocassion while fly fishing take the fly off my line , tie on a small hook and put a hellgramite on - it never fails to catch a trout.
Waterdog :)

RIVER_RAT
06-16-2008, 07:49 AM
As a kid I would sell Stonefly nymphs (we called them Helgramites) for a doller a dozen, good money for a kid 50 years ago, once in a while I would catch a real helgramite but don't ever remember catching a fish on one, with those big pinchers a figured it would scare the fish ;)

Later in life I did bridge inspections for the county and always did most of my inspections a week or two before opening day ::)

If you put them in a jar with holes in the lid and put damp grass in it and put it in the refrigerator they last a week or two.