PDA

View Full Version : Stanislaus River Info?

Duke363
06-06-2008, 09:17 AM
Hey,
I'm Looking for some trout stream fishing close to home (Tracy). Duties to the kids prevent me from driving to the Sierra's too often. I've heard about the Stanislaus off of hwy. 120 / 108 below Tulloch heading towards Knights Ferry / Oakdale. I've never tried it though. Does anyone have any experience, advice , recent reports , knowledge about this area? Is access pretty easy? Could young kids go or is it difficult terrain? I appreciate any info....
Thanks

dilbeck
06-06-2008, 02:00 PM
A couple of weeks ago my father-in-law and brother-in-law fly fished below Tulloch dam and above Knight's Ferry - not sure where - and had very little success. *Apparently it was blown out. *Of course water conditions have probably changed since then, but that is all the recent activity I've heard.

I do know they've done well there in the past, but it is usually a little later in the year.

Good luck, l look forward to any and all reports.

Michael

Duke363
06-06-2008, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the reply,
if there's anything near Tracy other than the Stanislaus I'd be happy to hear about that too.

jiggity49
06-07-2008, 07:01 AM
Any thing on the Stani below the dam and down to the 120 bridge in Oakdale is all barbless and artifical lures only, and 0 take on trout and salmon also, so it's C&R only. Never fished that stretch my self though so that's all the info I have. As far as lakes with trout I know los vasqueros res. is close by.

brownblazin
06-07-2008, 01:54 PM
Hey,
I'm Looking for some trout stream fishing close to home (Tracy). *Duties to the kids prevent me from driving to the Sierra's too often. *I've heard about the Stanislaus off of hwy. 120 / 108 below Tulloch heading towards Knights Ferry / Oakdale. *I've never tried it though. *Does anyone have any experience, advice , recent reports , knowledge about this area? *Is access pretty easy? *Could young kids go or is it difficult terrain? *I appreciate any info....
Thanks

I love fishing that area. Yes, there are a few places that are very kid friendly. Every time I have gone there I caught fish all day long. The fish have ranged from 4-inch natives to 16-inch rainbows. I only use panther martin lures in that area. Just remember that it is a ZERO fish limit with artificial baits with barbless hooks ONLY.

conrad89
06-08-2008, 07:10 AM
A buddy of mine took his john boat and trolling motor and puts it in at Orangeblossom road and floats down the river fishing barbless Panther Martins and has done really well. He then gets out at the 120 Bridge. He is trying to get me to go with him.

Athlete24
06-08-2008, 10:52 AM
Are you catching trout doing that?

feelinminnesota
06-09-2008, 11:19 AM
a number 5 floating rap is my lure of choice for that, and all trout rivers.
two mile bar and the goodwin dam area are the best spots, with a few upstream of the covered bridge at nights ferry. there are some deeper holes where a jigging spoon, or feather jig may do the trick as well.
as mentioned, make sure to use barbless hooks and return all fish to the water. the fish in there are not stocked, and are beautifull. the large hole below the goodwin dam has given up a bunch of 3"-5" salmon on small spinners. hence the barbless and c&r only rules. fishing with kids, it's good to have barbless anyway for safety reasons. i remove the trebles for my little girl and replace with a sinlge (barbless) tail hook. i have not seen any significant decline in hook-ups with this modification.

tshawytscha
06-12-2008, 05:16 AM
The fishing can be poor to great, depending on water levels, temperature, etc...Also try the Two Mile Bar area. I've caught and released trout up to 24 inches in this area, and have lost bigger fish. Both area's get alot of pressure due to location, so arrive early. There are good spots for younger children, and some that require a bit of a hike and aren't kid friendly. Also, keep an eye and ear open for rattlesnakes. Posion oak is thick.

Float_N_Fish
06-12-2008, 09:49 PM
Moccasin Creek near HW 120/49 has trout and the North Fk Toulumne (pass the town of Toulumne) along Cottonwood Rd/Basin Creek has trout...both are best following plantings but are closer then heading further up the Sierras to make for a shorter trip.