PDA

View Full Version : Del Valle 6-08-1 up, 1 down, and 1 that....

Backcountry
06-08-2008, 02:33 PM
...tried to hurt me
Was on the water at 7:00 this morning – headed straight for the back end of Heron Bay. *Less than 5 minutes after putting in had my first taker on blk/slv J7. *Started having a feeling it was going to be a good morning. *A few minutes later as I was lowering the other dr with a blk/slv F7 and the release pops….thought I dropped the rigger a bit too quick and the line released. *So I pulled the weight up and as I was pulling the line down to attach to the clip the line snapped out of my hand…holy smokes! *Fish on - ended up with a nice 20” (approx.) fish that came out of the water cart wheeling 3 times. *Like the first one he went back into the lake for another day. (That was the one on the way down).
A little while later I was running just off the mouth of the big cove at the back of Heron Bay with both riggers set between 25 and 30’. *As most who fish DV regularly know; it can get real shallow back there real quick. *Anyway I was monkeying around with something on the boat when I glanced down at the fish finder and noticed I was in 26’ of water. *Jumped up and flipped the switches to bring both riggers up. *Both came up right away but the line released on the starboard rigger. *Thought crumps! *I snagged something on the bottom. *Pulled the pole out and it bent over hard with the unmistakable feel of a heavy fish shaking its head. *10 minutes later had a nice 8.4# on the boat. *(That was the one on the way up). *
All that happened within the first 60 minutes on the lake and with the breeze that came up to cool things off a bit I’m loving life. *Kept running through the back end of Heron Bay with blk/slv rapalas as that seemed to be working well. *Bamm…starboard rigger goes off again. *Not a big fish, but certainly not small. *It didn’t feel like a big slug but was definitely feisty peeling of 25 to 35’ feet of line a few times. *Eventually got him to the boat and it looked like he was a healthy 2# maybe a bit more. *Anyway he’s about 12’ off the back of the boat; I’ve got a fair amount of tension on the rod and am waiting with the net and he comes straight out of the water thinking I’ve had enough of this. *Spits the Rapala and with the tension I had on the line when the *J7 was freed it headed straight at my head. *I had to duck and my lure ended up on the opposite side of the boat. *Never had that happen before but I was laughing like heck. (That was the one that tried to hurt me).
Had to wrap it up at 10:00. *7 fish to the boat…6 in the net (all released but one). *Fishmaster…good seeing you today…thx for the heads up on the blk/slv…worked very well this morning. *Woody…glad you were able to get out. *Slydog – looking forward to hooking up with you..thx for the note yesterday.
I unfortunately will not be back up there for a couple of weeks as I’m going on a non fishing vacation [ch61516] Looking forward to hooking up when I get back…will have a radio so we can talk real time. *Leave some fish for me guys

-Backcountry * * * *

ken_fishnfool
06-08-2008, 03:28 PM
LMAO! * ;D ;D ;D
Awesome write up of a righteous DV morning!
I though only bass spit your stuff back at ya!! ;D ;D ;D

Good stuff Backcountry!! ;D ;D ;D

fishmaster
06-08-2008, 04:07 PM
Congrats on the slug! We did pretty good as well. No big ones, but some agressive little ones.

Woody
06-08-2008, 07:21 PM
Backcountry glad to see you putting those new DR's to the test. I'm not sure what was going on with me today, but I had to duck twice with lures flying my direction. I had seven fish come undone today only got one to the boat but it was 7.8# I sure am glad we have this great fishery so close to home with the gas prices like they are.

Have a great vacation!!

we will see you in a couple of weeks.

Woody

stonesfan
06-08-2008, 07:52 PM
Backcountry, Fishmaster, Woody, is it typical for Del Valle to kick

out such large Trout this time of year. You would think that as it

started to Heat up that the fishing would generally slow down......

Sure seems that it has been the opposite this year, Global Warming?

I remember hooking that size Fish back in March and April...........

Go Figure.

stonesfan [smiley=rollingstones.gif]

dilbeck
06-08-2008, 08:52 PM
Backcountry, Fishmaster, Woody, is it typical for Del Valle to kick
out such large Trout this time of year. You would think that as it
started to Heat up that the fishing would generally slow down......
stonesfan [smiley=rollingstones.gif]

I'm far from an expert on DV, but regarding the weather, in general it has been pretty mild thus far, relatively speaking. *We had one heat spell a month or so back, but that's pretty much it.

After this week though, who knows what will happen. *It is supposed to heat up and do it rather quickly. *It will be interesting to see how it affects the fishing this Father's Day weekend.

BTW, really enjoyed your report Backcountry. *Fun read! :)

Michael

firetrout
06-08-2008, 09:25 PM
Nice story and report Backcountry. Sounds like nonstop at DV still happening. Best time to bring friends for a great day of fishing. Thanks for all the sniffers posting whats working . ;)

Backcountry
06-09-2008, 02:26 PM
Woody – sounds like your Sunday was like my Saturday. *My nephew and I along with my Dad and his friend fished for over 6 hours with only 5 to the boat. *Seemed nothing we were throwing out there worked with any consistency and the fish were all over the map in terms of depth.
And then yesterday I go up alone and get 7 to the boat in a little over 2 hours. *Not quite sure what to make of that. *Anyway, I might try and get up there on Wednesday afternoon for one last crack at ‘em before I leave on Friday. *Will be interesting to see how the bite holds up now that the weather appears to be warming.
Agree about the great fishery so close to home. *My truck and boat are both nearly empty. *Am not looking forward to my next visit to the gas station. :(

Thx all for the comments. *Should have a radio when I get back later this month...what channel are you guys typically on?

Leave some fish for me *;)

TAK_2
06-10-2008, 08:29 AM
Great story! I was the Whaler fishing in Swallow bay. I think I talked to you on the radio. The two of us ended up with at least limits that we released but kept a few. One was 6lbs!! We got most of them at 20-30ft otw usings grubs.

Dave

Woody
06-10-2008, 09:13 AM
Dave

That was me in the blue North River Welcometo the boards. I look forward to some report from you.

BackCountry

We are all on Channel 69

See you on the water
Woody

Schu
06-11-2008, 09:21 PM
I was going to go up north but maybe I will try local this weekend :)