PDA

View Full Version : Monday Morning Monsters @ Del Valle

fishmaster
06-09-2008, 03:15 PM
What a way to start a week of fishing off!
*Got up dark and early to hook up the boat and hurry up so I could sit in commute traffic from Tracy. Finally got to the lake at 630. Launched the boat and away I go. Headed to the North end of the lake with the other 4 or five boats there. Observed alot of fish jumping so I decided to longline some F5 Rapalas first. No takers. *Then I decided to go a little deeper so I got the downriggers setup and dropped them down to 15 feet. Got a taker right away. Average size, back in the water he went. Little while went by and the same rod goes off. Another 14 incher. The same rod accounted for 8 of the 11 fish caught today. Both rods were rigged exactly the same with F5 Blk/Slv. The one rod caught all 8 of it's fish before the second rod even had a nibble.

Just as I thought the bite was off the second rod FINALLY pops off and FISH_ON!! Wait a sec. This feels like a good one. Get the DR,s up. Get the other line out of the water. I was rushing around like this fish was going to come in quick. Not happening, he took off on some pretty long runs. Got him boatside and off it went again. After about what seemed forever I was finally able to subdue the fish. 8lbs. 9ozs.
*Get the nerves settled, retie on the lure and get set back up. Get on the phone to call the wife and tell her about the fish and POP on the same rod. Told the wife, "Gotta Go". Grab the rod and this fish took off, and I mean Fast. Figured it was moving too fast to be one of the slugs this lake has to offer, but after a 10 minute fight I finally get to see the fish and he was bigger than the last one. 10lbs. 2ozs. to be exact.
Caught one more on the second rod and that one went about 3.5lbs and back in the lake.

http://usera.imagecave.com/fishmaster/DelValle060908/100_1577.JPG

http://usera.imagecave.com/fishmaster/DelValle060908/100_1578.JPG

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *FISH_ON!!!

Sideliner
06-09-2008, 03:47 PM
Wow, WTG Fishmaster [smiley=clap.gif]
Thanks for the pic's, your the man!!! [smiley=worthy.gif]

Backcountry
06-09-2008, 03:56 PM
As Walter Matthaw said in the movie Grumpy Old Men - Holly Cannolies!!

Nice job Fishmaster...I had a feeling I should call it in today and head up there. *Was the good corporate citiizen and went in because I'll be gone later this week. *Now I'm second guessing myself. *I'll bet it was sure nice up there this morning without a bunch of boat traffic. *I guess the fact that you put two slugs on the boat just affirms that.

Nice write up of a great trip. *I'm going to try and get up there Wednesday afternoon one last time before I leave Friday. *With the weather warming up think I'll set the riggers at 20 to 30' with J7's / F7's as they seem to be working at depth whereas the J5's are working better on top (at least for me anyway). *Sounds like Blk/Slv is still the color of the day.

Again congrats on a great day - I have yet to pull in two slugs on the same trip but to be sure have only been using riggers for a couple of weeks...think it's just a matter of time and with your reports as well as Woody's, Slydog and Firetrout I think we'll be staying on big fish up there for some time yet.

BTW - do you do any Stipper fishing up there? *That was one of the reasons I put a livewell in my boat because as you know the limit is only two and it's fairly easy to catch as many as you want but often they're just barely legal. *Nice to have a keeper on the boat and swap him out for a bigger fish as the opportunity presents itself. *Last season caught as many as I wanted up to 12#'s all on ultra light gear. *It's a heck of a fight with a 12# on an ultra light rod with 4# test *:D *

-Backcountry

fishnmike2002
06-09-2008, 04:13 PM
Way to go Fishmaster!

FishnMike

kokemachine83
06-09-2008, 04:32 PM
fishmaster: WOW 19lbs of fish. I would of called my wife too!!
Congrats. I'm just going to have to make up trip up there soon.

SlyDog
06-09-2008, 04:49 PM
fishmaster-Thats the way to stay on top of them.Put the hurt on them while the bite is on!I will try to go wednesday.Hope to see you then.Is there a boat inspection in place at Del Vale at this time?SD

fishmaster
06-09-2008, 07:08 PM
Backcountry, I have only had my downriggers for about a month now. I am really enjoying chasing the fish with them. I will be back out wed. morning. Have some commitments to take care of tomorrow, Then I should be out there the rest of the week. Surface temp was creeping up to 70 today at the North end.

Slydog, there is no boat inspections in place currently on Del Valle.

camotracker
06-09-2008, 07:25 PM
nice looking fish bud. ;)

LEO"CAMOTRACKER"

freon
06-09-2008, 07:50 PM
BTW - do you do any Stipper fishing up there?

congrats on a great day on the water and if they have strippers fishing out there along with big fish, you know I will be showing up there ;) ;D

Woody
06-09-2008, 07:52 PM
Fishmaster great fish!!!

I guess it was your turn after putting your wife and kid on so many lately.
You really need to keep your reports to yourself this week. I have a feeling you are going to drive me crazy sense I don't think I will make it out this week with all the gaduation stuff going on at the house.

See you on the water
Woody

SlyDog
06-09-2008, 08:32 PM
Fishmaster-Thanks for the boat inspection info.I will be there Wednrsday.We might have to pull a rabit out of a hat that day.The big boys are on the bite!!SD

NorCal2500HD
06-10-2008, 12:42 AM
very nice fish, wish I had a boat!!!

Prongerman
06-10-2008, 10:19 AM
Cheers to ya fish master!!!! I waitin to fight some bigguns like those bad boys. congrats once again... PRONGERMAN

c-swirl-sean
06-10-2008, 11:56 AM
Hey Fish,
Good job on the fish! Cant be a better monday that that.
See you out there soon.
-Sean

Globetrouter
06-10-2008, 12:39 PM
Awesome job!!!!! :o :o :o If you ever want to sell that boat I'll buy it. Man it has some luck! Seriously though, good job! I REALLY want to go there, but I am off to Canada for some BIG rainbow fishing as well as cattle rustling. Keep the reports coming as I will be checking from my vacation.

GoneCountry
06-11-2008, 06:22 AM
Maybe you should be FishSlayer
your killin em I cant remember anyone tearin it up out there like that ever. Great Job and thanks for sharin. You will have memories etched in stone