PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Desolation Wilderness High Sierra

RockRob
05-28-2008, 08:47 PM
I am planning a short backpacking trip up in the Desolation Wilderness in two weeks and am wondering if anyone has ever fished in the lakes up there. *The Desolation Wilderness is located around the Tahoe area. I'm planning on spending a night up at Ropi Lake at the top of Horsetail Falls. *I know they used to plant all the lakes up there but haven't in several years. *If anyone has ever tried fishing this lake, the many surrounding lakes, or even Pyramid Creek up there before I would love to hear some stories and advice. *Thanks.

badluck
05-28-2008, 09:03 PM
I have never fished the lakes up there, but I have spent many hours pullin small brook trout out of the creeks and streams in that area...

Since I have never fished the lakes, I can offer no advice, except have fun, but I know that the offsprings are a load of fun with ultralight tackle, and 1/16thoz Panther Martins...mainly black, or black and yellow...

Hope that helps :-/

EGWaterGuy
05-28-2008, 09:44 PM
In general the lakes closest to the trail heads will have the most pressure, the first couple lakes up the trail from horse tail have brookies (small) but I haven't fished it in a couple years. The rule of I go by up there is I spend about 1 hour making casts (spinners, or spoons, and sometimes flies under a casting bobber) if all I catch are brooks with big heads and small bodies I move on to another lake. Some of the lakes up there have browns, rainbows, and even a couple of the lakes had Mackinaw in them. The good thing about that area is that if you don't like the fishing at one lake it is only 20-30 minutes to the next lake. The lakes with the browns in them will sometimes yield a 20 inch fish or better. Most of the lakes with brookies in them will have small but numerous fish and most likely won't get any bigger than 10 inches

Trav

MARYSVILLEFISHIN
05-29-2008, 08:16 AM
Snow lake has a lot of good fish in it and there is a creek right net to the laKE that has golden trout in it wich are fun to catch good luck i hope this helps oh yaa find some grubs

Mr_Ed
05-29-2008, 10:55 AM
You might call tyhe Foresr Service to see how bad the snow is first!!

Then you will have to get a permit if staying over night, or they could send you down the hill to get one, or fine you for not having a permit or both.

Heck, they might charge for daily trips this year? Always nice to find out what the rules are this year.

EddiedOut
05-29-2008, 11:53 AM
I caught a ton of pan size fish one year at Sylvia Lake and Lyons Creek in the southeast edge of Desolation Wilderness 3 years back.

They were biting on a small panther martin (black and yellow), a small krokadile (silver and blue) and they were hitting a mosquito fly behind a clear bubble.

I snuck up on the creek where a large tree had fallen and there must have been forty pan sized trout in one hole alone. The lake was splashing all evening and early morning with fish also. I caught a few brookies in the stream, but the lake was all rainbows. We ate like kings that night content with all the fish we wanted. It was well worth hiking the fishing pole all the way in.

Have a great time. Stop by the USFS station to get your permit though as others have suggested, we did actually get checked at one point. Damn I need to get back out there myself!