PDA

View Full Version : Stumpy Meadows report 5/27

jtk25
05-27-2008, 04:59 PM
I drove up to Stumpy this morning to see if there were any fish left after the busy holiday weekend, and of course I was wrong. I figured the fish would be non existent but we found decent bank success. Landing 5 ranging in size 10 to 12 inches, and to my surprise the fish fought quite hard. Everything worked from worms to various colors of powerbait. Nothing worked steady for any amount of time, so I switched it up as the day went on and the fish moved around. There were a few guys fishing the dam, but I failed to talk to them and get the scoop.

There were 3 boats out this morning working the north to east side of the lake but I only saw 1 or 2 nets come out from a distance. I talked to a couple packing up to go home after camping, and they said they caught a "bunch" off their boat over the time they were there.

It was hard for me to tell if the lake was going up or coming down due to the wet ground from the weekend showers. I didn't notice a change in the water level in the 5 hours I was there. Right now I would say the lake is about 4 foot from spilling over. Only the Stumpy Meadows campground is open, with the group site next to it locked up and the other gated sites across Wentworth Springs Road locked up as well.

As a side question: I would like to explore the lake on the north and east sides but I'm not sure about acsessablility. I touered the camp grounds but I couldn't see any water. I noticed a few trails going back to the lake off of Wentworth Springs but didn't want to risk it with the car we drove up in due to wet and rough conditions. Do any of those dirt roads lead back to the lake? It would be a shame only to be able to fish the boat launch and dam from shore.

trbergen
05-27-2008, 08:02 PM
I fish Stumpy 6-10 times per year, and usually hike back on one of the roads off Wentworth Springs. The best one is at the back of the lake, and takes you to the creek inlet. There are a couple between there and the 2nd campground that also will take you to the lake, and give you alot of privacy. Once you get to the lake on one of those roads, there is a trail that runs just above the waterline, so you can go along the bank fairly easily. The other side of the lake is much more dificult, and you pretty much have to make your own trail, but there are some nice areas over there, if you take the time to explore. I love Stumpy because you can always find a place to get away from the crowds, and usually catch fish...and see lots of Osprey's and a Bald Eagle or two.
Thanks for the report. I was there last Weds and did ok, but it sounds like it is picking up!

GoneCountry
05-28-2008, 06:21 AM
Worst design ever for that campground .Its a very long hike to the lake.....thats why you didnt see it when you drove thru.......They should have put it to the right of the boatramp and on the other side of cove,,,,,,,but if you caught fish by the boat ramp and dam,,,be happy........................I grew up in that area as we had a summer home in georgetown,,,,,,as for explorin them dirt roads . Please be careful you could very well get lost or stuck......THat lake was on my way back lake as I always past it up for French Meadows Brown Country

Mickey_Thomas
05-28-2008, 06:32 AM
In the old days you could drive a Jeep all the way around the lake, since then "Big Brother" closed all of the roads with large trees and large berms. ::) I guess with so many more people now that use the lake "they" don't want any campfires that might get out of control out of the designated campgrounds. Used to be a good Brown catching lake, holdovers every year, and even some Rainbows were hung overs :D Those days are gone, most the fish you catch there now are stocked the same year you catch them. It's still a great lake during the week, you can have it all to yourselves if it's not close to a weekend ;)