PDA

View Full Version : McSwain Limit

shadbuster
05-24-2008, 10:44 AM
Headed out to McSwain on Friday with my sister and brother and law, was up by 3:00 AM on the water at 5:00 AM. Shore fished the dam area with power eggs tipped with half a garden worm. Got my first fish by 5:15 a small torn up planter, but decided to keep it anyways just in case I didn't catch anything else ::). Fishing pretty slow but everybody had limited it out by 11:00 with my sister catching a couple of 16in holdovers. Most fish in the 1 to 2 pound range. Saw the planting truck getting there just as we left. Nice day with less people than I expected for a holiday weekend. Will post pics later if not to lazy.

conrad89
05-25-2008, 07:49 PM
I was thinking of camping there this upcoming weekend. I have a boat and was wanting to camp at a place where I know is good fishing. Would you recommend McSwain? I've never fished it before. I like to troll.

dilbeck
05-25-2008, 08:24 PM
Conrad89,

If you like to troll, this is the lake for you. *It's all I do when I make it out there. *Troll the opposite bank from the dam to the second fence line, which is past the floating bathroom (S.S. Relief). *I've only been skunked there once and have fished it close to 50 times. *I really miss McSwain since having moved from the valley.

Michael

conrad89
05-26-2008, 09:16 AM
I'm deciding between that and Lake Alpine.

shadbuster
05-26-2008, 11:13 AM
I would definitely go to McSwain I've never been skunked there and I only missed getting my limit there once. Trolling is excellent there, since there is a 10mph speed limit so you don't have to deal with pleasure boaters, it's pretty much a fisherman's lake.

conrad89
05-26-2008, 11:39 AM
I'm gonna go to McSwain. What is your favorite lures and depths for this time of year at McSwain? I'm pretty sure people like to fish Rapala's which I am a definite fan of. What is your preference?

shadbuster
05-26-2008, 07:58 PM
Haven't trolled McSwain in a while since shore fishing there is so good but I would pretty much use Rapalas or spoons, along with a couple of other cheap lures. As for depth the trout never really go deep since the lake stays pretty cold year round I would say they never go deeper than 20ft and you can find them on the surface even in the middle of the day. Good Luck and let us know how you do.

conrad89
05-26-2008, 10:05 PM
I definitely will. My plans changed and I'm taking my girlfriend there on either Wed or Thurs, or maybe back to back.

twoelk48
05-27-2008, 03:31 AM
:) Mc swain is a great camping and fishing lake and liked mention no water lice or skiers. There is a store at the lake and other admentities can be found there. Wife and I started camping there when first married 38 years ago and is where my sosn caught there first fish. go across from the boat ramp and fish up the lake. I use to use half fast blades and night crawlers alot there. Also a great place when the grasshoppers are abundant and falling in the water. Get your self a container and get some hoppers and one of those clear plastic bubble floats you can fill with water. behind the float about 2 feet put on a salmon egg hook and float a hopper behind it. I would just tye deer hair on a fly hook and float it as an imitation to a hopper worked great. Kent

Don
05-27-2008, 06:34 AM
Beware of the warter level. It drops a LOT at night and then comes back up dearing the day. I have seen boats stranded 10 - 15 feet from the water.
Eather ancore 10' off shore or pull your boat out a night. Ask the man at the marina for details.
Other then that it's a GREAT lake to troll.You have gotten great advice posted above.
My favort is crome and red SLING BLADE AND A FAT Nightcrawler.
Just before you get to the lake there is a bait shop on your left. Stop in and he has always had the curent condution.( last plant, where and what to use) great guy.
Lots of luck and you will have a great time
Don

conrad89
05-27-2008, 07:05 AM
That drop in water doesn't seem to hurt the fishability of the lake cuz the trout are so used to it fluctuating so much?

shadbuster
05-27-2008, 07:52 AM
The trout don't seem to mind the drop in water level, although I usually have faster action when the water is rising.

conrad89
05-27-2008, 09:36 AM
Well, I'm hitting McSwain bright and early tomorrow morning so I'll let you guys know how i did. Thanks for the info.

tightlines1707
05-27-2008, 10:01 AM
is fishing at the lake a bust during the mid day?? What are the thoughts of today, was thinking about taking the g/f out to bank it for some trout, been craving some fish.... what is some advise to get into some?? or is it even worth making the hour drive....
tightlines