PDA

View Full Version : Del Valle 10lb.6oz. Trout 05/18/08

fishmaster
05-18-2008, 01:49 PM
Got to the lake at about 700am this morning.Figured I would try some different lures today instead of the usual rapalas. Bought these cheap little lures called "Tail-Spin". It is a shad body with a big spinner for a tail. They looked like a neat little lure, just wasn't sure if they would swim good.
* * * * * * Set the tail-spin up on the downrigger at 20 feet down and hit the deep water outside Heron Bay. It took a few minutes and we had a fish on the new lure. A nice little male with good markings and a full tail.http://usera.imagecave.com/fishmaster/DelValle051808/justin4.jpg

Figured it was probably just a fluke catching one that quick.Went ahead and set it back up and another fish hit the same lure on the way down.
http://usera.imagecave.com/fishmaster/DelValle051808/justin.jpg

This was going better than expected...............................

http://usera.imagecave.com/fishmaster/DelValle051808/justin2.jpg

http://usera.imagecave.com/fishmaster/DelValle051808/justin3.jpg

http://usera.imagecave.com/fishmaster/DelValle051808/michele2.jpg

I had just got done telling Mrs. Fishmaster that it would take a few more successful trips like this one for me to have confidence in this lure when the rod on the downrigger pops! It never came up. Mrs. Fishmaster struggles to get the rod out of the holder and the fight is on. It was a one sided fight as the fish just kept ripping line out. She starts getting nervous as she tells me "It's got over 200 feet of line out!" I start thinking she had a snag so I took the pole from her to see what was on the end of the line. Drag feels good. It starts shaking it's head and there is no doubt this is a fish. So I gave the rod back to Mrs. Fishmaster and sat back and watched her try to subdue this fish for what seemed like forever. She finally got the fish boatside and I got the net under it.
* * * * *This was Mrs. Fishmasters biggest trout to date weighing in at a FAT 10lbs. 6ozs.

http://usera.imagecave.com/fishmaster/DelValle051808/michele3-copy.jpg

Had to take the pictures on a camera phone. Forgot the good one at home.

Of course I couldn't go a full day without using a few rapalas.Caught 5 fish on rapalas with half oz. bullet weights and 11 on the one rod with the Tail-spin 20 feet down.Off the water by 1130.

campngolf
05-18-2008, 02:16 PM
I'd say you already got your money's worth out of that "cheap" lure. Way to go.

SlyDog
05-18-2008, 02:54 PM
Way to go Fishmaster family!!Congratulations to Mrs. Fishmaster.Now where would a person get a "Tail Spin"?The closest lure I have to that is a Flub Dub.I will give it a try on Tuesday.I hope you had her photo taken at the tackle shop and posted on the board there.My wife caught a trout exactly that size back in november and made the board.Maybe someday I will catch a fish that big.

King-J
05-18-2008, 02:54 PM
Now Thats One Big Trout
* Congratulations!!!!

Fillmoepro
05-18-2008, 03:49 PM
Much props on the fishes. I fished there today and got skunked. I guess I didnt have any down riggers to go 20 ft deep. My rapalas only went 10 ft deep. Everyone else I spoke to who I passed by trolling got skunked too. I guess you were the only ones with fishes today trolling. :-X

c-swirl-sean
05-18-2008, 04:37 PM
Damn nice fish!
I showed my wife the pics and said, see women do catch fish.... :'(

fishmaster
05-18-2008, 04:53 PM
Slydog, you get them from Bass Pro Shops. $2.49.We used the 1/2 oz. version.

Captain Compassion
05-18-2008, 05:00 PM
Beautiful trout. Mrs. F. got the big one. Why am I not surprised. ;D Excellent pictures for a phone cam. Love the story of the cheapo lure. Thanks.

CC

stripalmon
05-18-2008, 05:11 PM
Nice report and fish!!That fish is a giant nice job.

ratss427
05-18-2008, 05:30 PM
I'd say you already got your money's worth out of that "cheap" lure. Way to go.
awesome catch!you should be very proud!thanks for the report. :)

stonesfan
05-18-2008, 05:48 PM
Fishmaster, Just goes to prove that being in the right place at the

right time, no matter what kind of Lure you use is True.............

Great Job! Next thing you know, all the Bass Fishermen will be

Trolling Spinner Baits.........................................LOL

stonesfan [smiley=rollingstones.gif] [smiley=alien.gif]

FishbucketII
05-18-2008, 06:34 PM
AWESOME !! :o

thanks for the report !

Old_School
05-18-2008, 08:14 PM
That fish looks like it could swallow a small child. They may have to put out some warning signs to unexpecting swimmers! Nice.

Woody
05-18-2008, 08:28 PM
Team Fishmaster Great job it just goes to show that at times you need to change it up and try something new. I'm sure we all have some shad imatation lures that might just work right now.

see you on the water
Woody

Globetrouter
05-19-2008, 11:30 AM
Great job on the fish! [smiley=thumbsup.gif] I hope at least once in my life to have one day as good as your "norm". I see the lures you are talking about. What color or colors were working for you. You can PM me if you want. I'm working on getting my little scotty riggers on my little Valco. I'll have my day...some day...I hope :-/

Thanks!!

ken_fishnfool
05-19-2008, 11:47 AM
The MASTER et al. still rules those fishes at DV!! :o :o :o
SWEET!! :D

And here I was told even trolling had slowed down... ;) :P :-?
Thanks for showing me different! :)

fishnmike2002
05-19-2008, 12:02 PM
Nice going Fishmaster. I like the idea of the tail spinner, I've still got a few of those from my bass fishing days. Have to give them a try.

FishnMike

wefish5
05-19-2008, 02:41 PM
Yes .... women do catch big fish. Great job Mrs. F.

fishmaster
05-19-2008, 06:24 PM
Mrs. Fishmaster says Thanks for all the nice comments.

Globetrouter, the color was (12) Chrome/Black Back.

After that fish Mrs. Fishmaster is going to let me invest in some nice downriggers. I guess I just had to prove to her that they are worth the money ;).

firetrout
05-19-2008, 08:46 PM
You married a smart woman! ;)

GoneCountry
05-20-2008, 06:21 AM
Ive been watchin your progress this year at Del Valle and you guys have just ripped it up. Great Year savor it taste it...........I gotta buy some of those lures now to stick in the box................Great Fish havent seen that for awhile there.......My Hat is off to ya.........Memories forever

Hlawatyr
05-24-2008, 02:54 PM
8-)Thanks for the report, I never have used that lure for trout but do have some, will give it a try.

fishpeddler1
05-25-2008, 10:06 PM
nice hog FM! hey has anyone ever used paddle tail shad out there? if not, it looks like I may have to just bite the bullet and make the trip. :)
good job guys.

hooks
05-26-2008, 08:03 AM
Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout
[smiley=yahoo.gif]

I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy!!!
[smiley=worthy.gif]

Awesome 'BOW.
Congrats