PDA

View Full Version : Silver Lake on Friday

atavuss
05-23-2008, 08:13 PM
a co-worker and I took a day off from work today to hit Silver Lake. *got on the water around 7am, only one other boat on the water, their Jeep and boat trailer had Nevada plates. *weather was in the low 30's, water temp was 43 when we got there and about 47 when we left at 4. *water was dead calm, we were catching a few smaller fish, most were released, we only kept enough for a dinner each. *around noon it started snowing and it was still snowing when we left. *it was strange seeing harleys and other bikes putting through the snow. *we ended up hanging around the launch area as the snow stung when we trolled around, plus you could only see a short distance because of the snowfall. *we caught and released in that area all afternoon, the bite was on! *my Silver Lake skunk is no more! * ;D
this was the lake in the early AM:
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-9/400648/P5230214(Custom).JPG

here is the lake around 2 in the afternoon:
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-9/400648/P5230217(Custom).JPG

the weather never got out of the 30's the time we were there. *lots of surface activity on the water, still lots of bugs floating around for the trout to eat. *

Mackattack
05-23-2008, 08:41 PM
I saw you guys out there just past the spill-way floats and as we were leaving we thought out load those sniffers are crazy [smiley=seestars.gif]. Glad you caught some as all I got was a frozen A!!!!!!. See yu next trip in July.

Mackattack

YakMotor
05-23-2008, 10:46 PM
Well, you proved the radar animation I checked on Unisys was right. Dark clouds over Amador, but no rain. Looked up the hill and was happy to be home still wearing shorts and a T-shirt. Shiver ..... I'm to old for those conditions.

Glad you had a good time catching trout took a few home for dinner. I enjoyed your report and great photos.

cgagex3
05-24-2008, 05:45 AM
Way to shake off the skunk atavuss. What a difference a couple of days can make. Wednesday shorts and a t-shirt and Friday snow flurries. I'll be up that way Sun or Mon hitting Caples or Bear or both, still undecided.
CG

Phishinfool2
05-24-2008, 06:15 AM
Cgage, Seon and I are gonna brave the elements (that is if Seon doesnt see this post) and give Silver a try on Sunday morning. Maybe we see you out there. Is anybody else gonna go out and give it a try on Sunday ? ? ?

Jimbo

PapaGreg
05-24-2008, 06:41 AM
:)Just got home from S. Francisco, steady rain with light snow mixed-in at 4,000 foot elevation off of highway 88.

Put the damper on the planned fishing trip with the grandsons, will be re-scheduling for tommorrow!

Nicefish, Hunk!!!!!

atavuss
05-24-2008, 06:52 AM
Cgage, Seon and I are gonna brave the elements (that is if Seon doesnt see this post) and give Silver a try on Sunday morning. Maybe we see you out there. *Is anybody else gonna go out and give it a try on Sunday ? ? ?

Jimbo

Jimbo,
I just may hit Silver Lake again on Sunday. *the only thing I am worried about is the projected thunderstorms. *snow and rain I can deal with but lightning while on the water in a metal boat are more thrills than I signed up for! * :o
BTW, with the insulated coveralls and wool cap I never got cold the entire time, also had insulated Sorel heavy winter boots on. *
we probably could have done well with fly rods if we could have matched whatever was flying around out there, the trout were very actively feeding on the bugs at the top. *

Mackattack, was that you in the van towing a small enclosed trailer? *

I also want to add that the water has risen enough so that there are a fair amount of boulders that are just below the water's surface, I broke a piece off my Minn Kota's prop when I hit a boulder with it. *at least I had my main motor up out of the water almost all the way and only lightly touched the skeg with the boulder. *

hammerdog
05-24-2008, 01:13 PM
I was thinking about hitting Silver Lake on Friday, but I saw all the traffic going up 88 on Friday morning and thought it would be too crowded. Now I wish I would have gone for a couple of hours.

Captain Compassion
05-24-2008, 03:13 PM
Tempted to go up Sunday but the crowds and the possibility that the pass will require chains has me spooked. Perhaps I'll wait until after the long weekend. Mrs. C loves the place. The DFG says they stocked on Friday which would account for all the trout.

CC

Mackattack
05-24-2008, 03:29 PM
Mackattack, was that you in the van towing a small enclosed trailer? *

No I was in the Charcoal GMC quadsteer with camper shell on the left side from your view point.

Mackattack

hunkfisher
05-24-2008, 10:41 PM
Saw that DFG planted guess its time to fish silver maybe wednesday next week. CC ill let you know if i go way to brave it guys kinda looked like our day in hope valley.

Brad "Hunkfisher"

[smiley=swimmingfish.gif]