PDA

View Full Version : Bear River Reservoir Highway 88

hammerdog
05-07-2008, 05:19 PM
Anyone know if you can launch a boat at Bear River Reservoir? *I was up there last week and the road was closed to the dam and the water level by the resort ramp was too far from the water. *I called the resort two days ago and got a recording it was open, left a message regarding launching and never got a return call. *

stripalmon
05-07-2008, 06:51 PM
Don't know yet!! ;D But I will let you know after this weekend. *[smiley=fishing1.gif]

Phishinfool2
05-07-2008, 07:48 PM
According to Cgage who was up Sunday the ramp is open and the dam is still closed.

I am heading up to do a quick scout and pics on friday/ Saturday and will report back on Bear and Silver.

Jimbo

cgagex3
05-08-2008, 06:14 AM
True,
I went on two Saturdays one month apart. First trip both gates closed with five feet of snow on the roads. This past Saturday gate open to the fee area ramp drove all the way down. Ice is off the lake and I saw three boats out on the water.
The gate to the dam side was still locked but the road was clear of snow, I would imagine they will open it soon too. There were three or four cars parked at that gate for bankers who hiked in to fish.

Anybody heads up let us know the situation on the dam side, can we drive down yet? I like parking over at the dirt ramp and tossing in my pontoon instead of starting at the regular ramp and having to kick all the way across the lake. I am thinking about taking a day off to head up the hill during the week soon as my next two weekends are now spoken for.

CG

hammerdog
05-08-2008, 07:45 AM
Thanks for the replies- :)

hammerdog
05-08-2008, 08:21 AM
Well, i finally made phone contact at Bear River Resort and got an update. Bear is open, but the concrete ramp at the resort is out of commission until the water level raises. The road to the dam is still gated and closed.

You can still launch a boat at the resort at a secondary launch dirt area off to the right as you enter the resort. The phone number to the resort is 209-295-4868 if you want further info.

The_Big_Sinus
05-08-2008, 01:52 PM
You can always 4-wheel around the gate, but I can't say I recommend it- I got a talkin' to last time I did that trick.

hammerdog
05-12-2008, 04:55 PM
Anybody fish Bear over the weekend and if so, how was it....

bing15
05-12-2008, 06:35 PM
I heard a rumor that the gate was open to the dam area, so last night I went down to check it out. The gate was open to the dam area, but just past the second dam there is still a big snow drift. i saw several people walking towards the back. Due to the amount of people that were down there and the wind I only lasted about a 1/2 hour. hope it helps

Weez
05-12-2008, 06:57 PM
Anyone know if I can launch my cartop boat at any time of the day or night, or do I need to wait until the resort is open? I don't need a ramp, just access and nobody yelling at me or harrassing me. Thanks.

cgagex3
05-12-2008, 07:07 PM
Weez,
I know that people at the resort do not technically run the lake. There are also EDF campgrounds past the ramp. I like it better when you go down to the dirt ramp down the hill near the dam. That is where I park and put in my toon. I have always had my best luck for browns right up near the dam. I have seen people in Rv's camping down there next to the water. There was one couple with a boat and rv down there last year for over two weeks straight.
It is good to hear that they have opened the gate to the dam. Anybody who goes let us know if we can drive down to the water by the dam.

CG

bing15
05-12-2008, 07:45 PM
yes you can drive down to the water by the dam, but the way the lake is filling up there won't be alot of space down there in the near future. The water had come up probably at least 8 ft in a weeks time. With this warm weather coming this weekend it will only speed up the melt. As of last night there was still lots of room to bank fish and plenty of space to launch by the first dam.

cgagex3
05-12-2008, 08:06 PM
Thanks bing, I will have to make the trip up soon. This weekend is taken with family stuff then a hopeful trip up Wednesday with the Capt and Hunkfisher. Don't think I will be able to make Bear for two weeks. :-/

GoneCountry
05-13-2008, 06:46 AM
Its been awhile since I been up there . That secondary boat ramp is all dirt area could be very muddy.........

hammerdog
05-13-2008, 11:52 AM
I drove up to Bear this morning and the resort has their launch ramp in service for a $10.00 launch fee. The water has come up alot. The lake had white caps on it and I did not even bother to try it.

The gate leading down to the dam was closed today. I did not check to see if it was locked.

stayrighthere
05-13-2008, 12:48 PM
its been really slow fishing there. :(

The_Big_Sinus
05-13-2008, 01:56 PM
can launch my cartop boat at any time of the day or night, or do I need to wait until the resort is open?

If you don't need a ramp, then you are good to go... I see the odd care down on the lakebed- I know that is done, legally or not. I think you are good to go, Weez, although Silver is open, and I know you know there is the occasional mack to be had there.

its been really slow fishing there.

I didn't think so- considering I fished from 10 AM - 1 PM (not exactly prime hours) and got a couple for the grill using lures, I thought it was A-OK.

Phishinfool2
05-14-2008, 08:59 AM
Bear is a lake that is close to the mountain house (20 minutes away) my only problem is I have attacked bear half a dozen times and have not had much success, question is what or how or where on Bear is the place to fish and what do you use for bait. I have tried a variety of lures, flashers, dodgers and worms with minimal luck. Is naybody willing to give up some good secrets of Bear? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jimbo

The_Big_Sinus
05-14-2008, 10:38 AM
I have found the area(s) by the 2 dams to be far and away the most productive - I should mention that I fish it mostly from the bank. I also humped a float tube in there one December around Christmas and enjoyed a chilly and beautiful afternoon on the lake entirely to myself.

My favorite techniques are as follows:

(1) Find a rock, or ledge, where you can cast back toward the back of a cove, or into the dam. Bounce small plugs off it from as far away as you can manage- the plugs vary, but usually some variety of Rapala will do the trick. If you hit a school this way, you are in the money and can limit in a few minutes.

(2) The slope/cliffs on the South side runnin from the 2nd dam to a point is usually pretty riddled with browns. From shore, I use jigs and spoons to get down in the shadow cast by the slope and get strikes- this is how I caught fish on Sunday. I see trollers try to get in tight, but I think they struggle to get in tight enough and not lose whatever they are dragging.

(3) Find a vanatage point, and toss a crawler out into the middle of the basin by one of the dams. Use a slip bobber 1/2 filled with water for casting distance and let 'er sit out there- the weight of the crawler will pull line through the slip-bobber and eventually you find the depth the fishies are at.

From a boat, I think you might be better off cutting the motor and drifting- using jigs, spoons and plugs. I have seen and incidentally caught crawdads in there, so it's possible that if you can put some 'dads in a cage, the smaller ones might be good for drifting, as well.

cgagex3
05-14-2008, 11:30 AM
Big Sinus, swings for the fences with that one. He hit the spots dead on. I have also caught quite a few at the second dam using gold (Lil Cleo or KM) and olive bugger on a clear bobber set up. My favorite is from my pontoon sitting dead in the middle about rubbing up against the dam. Fan cast in every direction from bouncing off the dam to bouncing off the dam.
Every once in a while I will see a big old lunker swim by following my offering but have yet to catch one of the beasts.
Maybe this is the year.

CG

Phishinfool2
05-14-2008, 12:18 PM
Big Sinus and Cgage thx for the info I will give that a try next time, I have heard from several others that the dams produce well but as Sinus says it is hard to get close enuf and not lose what you are dragging. One of the few that I have pulled from there was before the rocky point away from the second dam but then again it is difficult to stay close enuf and watch your gear. Thanks again for the advice. Cgage I know you are there quite often maybe some day we hook up or I will just run circles around you in the water and watch you bob up and down.... JK

Jimbo

bing15
05-14-2008, 07:19 PM
sorry to everbody for saying the gate to the dam area is open, apperantly what happened was that sombody cut the lock on sunday, thats why it was open when i went down there. It is locked again. I guess the county doesnt plan to open it till memorial day weekend. The only other option is to go to the resort. and since the lake is rising so fast and their boat ramp is now in the water they closed the secondary launching area. ten dollars to launch and five to park there!

cuhogn
05-14-2008, 08:00 PM
So can you launch a 18' boat on this ramp or is it a small boat launch?
Thanks

cgagex3
05-14-2008, 08:14 PM
Well thanks for the offer Jimbo but I think I will have to pass. Nice image though of being circled by your boat in my little pontoon bouncing up and down in your wake.
The wind can be bad enough, I don't need artificial waves to help me along.
;D

You can spot me out there at some time in my bright yellow toon and drop a line in for a while.

CG

The_Big_Sinus
05-15-2008, 09:02 AM
I think the best strategy for a boat- assuming the wind is doing what it usually does and blowing right over the 2nd dam- is to cut the motor about 100' offshore of that steep slope... Toss a worm under a slip bobber off the lake side downwind and tuck it in the holder (you're in about 150' of water, so you can just let that one sit awhile), and then cast spoons back toward the shore and fish them "jig style"- let it settle, than reel in, let it settle some more, then reel some more... If that doesn't score some fish, I don't what will.

Wind should push you roughly parallel to that steep bank.

hammerdog
05-24-2008, 05:15 PM
Any updated reports on Bear River as far as fish being caught. *I was up there two weeks ago, graphed all kinds of fish, but never had a bite.

cgagex3
05-24-2008, 06:43 PM
I second that call for an update. Did they finally open the gate to the backside? I am planning to head up to Caples or Bear with my pontoon on Monday. Not sure which yet, but a Bear report would help.

CG

Phishinfool2
05-24-2008, 08:01 PM
I hit Bear last w/end saw a bit of fish on the finder but not even a tap.
I did see the majority of the fish on the (south) side between the 2nd dam and the shore 3-400 yards from the dam.

Jimbo

P.S. as of last Sunday 11am gate still closed though I did see several vehicles driving across the dam.

hammerdog
05-24-2008, 08:21 PM
I guess I will stick with Silver Lake or Caples then. For some reason, I have a hard time catching fish at Bear River. I do like to go there because it is only 21 miles from the front door of my cabin to the launch ramp at Bear River.