PDA

View Full Version : Icehouse Bank Fishing

reelcreative
05-15-2008, 12:37 PM
I read a favorable report in the Sac Bee which said Icehouse has a good bite going. Has anyone been there bank fishing in the past week or so? Can you get back to Strawberry Point?

notenufffishn
05-15-2008, 02:46 PM
A friend of mine went up last week and was able to get to Strawberry point, the bite was fair

reelcreative
05-19-2008, 07:57 AM
Bank fished back by the inlet yesterday, all I can say is there was a lot of people there. We caught 6 planters over the 3 hours we were there on marshmellows, powerbait balls and eggs. The upside was that it was 80 degrees which was 20 degrees cooler than our house...

ryanerb
05-19-2008, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the report rellcreative. I bet it was nice to escape from that heat!

cgagex3
05-19-2008, 06:32 PM
That's what happens when the Bee says the bite is on somewhere. Just pay attention here instead, and then read the Bee on where not to go so you can stay away from the crowds.
On the other side thanks for the report, thinking about acamping trip up to Loon before to long and it nice to hit Icehouse and UVR when we are there.

CG

JO73
05-20-2008, 04:31 AM
New to the higher elevation fishing. Can someone define UVR for me?

GoneCountry
05-20-2008, 06:06 AM
Hi there welcome UVR is Union Valley Reservoir located in the Crystal Basin Rec area off Highway 50 on the Eldorado National Forest.......................

reelcreative
05-20-2008, 08:03 AM
That's what happens when the Bee says the bite is on somewhere. Just pay attention here instead, and then read the Bee on where not to go so you can stay away from the crowds.
On the other side thanks for the report, thinking about acamping trip up to Loon before to long and it nice to hit Icehouse and UVR when we are there.

CG

Yeah, good point but I had 2 of my daughters who are only 5 and 6. I knew we would catch something so I made the trek up there. They had a good time and the crowds don't bother the kids, just me...

Got any suggestions on lakes that have a good trout bite that are kid friendly? I take them to Folsom but bank fishing is pretty slow there. Sounds like Amador is slowing down from what I have read, any suggestions are appreciated. We live in Fair Oaks so I try to stay within an hour or so of the house if possible so I don't have to spend half of my paycheck on gas for the XL to catch a few fish...

JO73
05-20-2008, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the info. I'm going up to fish Icehouse next Friday. Any tips on trolling up there? Depth, lures, colors etc. I do have downriggers. Any help would be appreciated.

trbergen
05-20-2008, 11:02 AM
Reelcreative, Just 9 miles up the road from Icehouse are Wrights and Dark lake. They are much smaller, and nicer than Ivehouse, with lots of places for the kids to play in the water, and both have trout. Dark lake is a little deeper, so generally is better for fishing. There are rainbows and browns in Dark. Wrights is mostly rainbows, and gets planted regularly. By the creek outlet, and in the creek, are good spots for kids to fish. There are also some great BBQ areas if you want have a picnic.
The road will probably be open in the next couple weeks. I am pretty sure it's not accessible yet. Have fun if you go. It's a great place! LIke a mini Tahoe!

tadams
05-20-2008, 11:21 AM
If you go to Wrights or Dark lake, do not forget the mosquito repellant. You only make that mistake once. ;D They are really thick up there. I take my kids there every year for a few days.

SpinReelFisher
05-20-2008, 11:37 AM
I tried to make it to Wright's Lake yesterday....stress on TRIED! *There are downed trees in the road...which, you can get by but you have to drive in the mud. *And, even if you get by them, you still have to decide wether you want to risk the SNOW on the road. *There are spots where there is snow all the way from one side of the road to the other. *I would STRONGLY reccommend NOT trying to press your luck. *

I made it pretty far (about 1-2 miles from the lake), but even with my GMC Yukon with all weather tires, I wasn't about to risk it knowing that conditions were just going to be worse the closer to the lake I got! *

1-2 weeks and those upper lakes will be accessible, but until then - be SAFE!

HogFan
05-20-2008, 04:54 PM
I fished ice house and loon for many years but never Wright's or Dark lake. I went hunting a few years ago close to Wright's lake and passed a creek called Lyons. I think!! Is there fish to be had in that creek??

HogFan

trbergen
05-20-2008, 07:30 PM
I remember seeing lyons creek, and trailhead of wrights lake road, but have never fished it. The stream out of wrights lake is called silver creek, and they do stock the creek, mostly up near the lake, but it also flows past the store near icehouse, and I believe they stock it there too.
There are many small lakes above wrights that are withing 1-2 hour hike, and are full of brook trout. They are in the desolation wilderness, so you must fill out a day pass at the trailhead, or get a permit at the forest service office if you plan to stay over night.