PDA

View Full Version : Uvas Creek

snorky
05-14-2008, 02:07 PM
Does anyone know if it is legal to fish in the creek above Sveadel in the Swanson Canyon? I believe it is Uvas Creek or a tributary of, although I am unsure. There are some beautiful trout in there.

Thanks

Sin_Coast
05-14-2008, 02:16 PM
HA! I haven't heard of Svedal in YEARS! Brings back memories. Can't fish there. Although, I might be wrong. I believe that is referred to as Little Uvas Ck or something. Years ago I caught small trout that resembled brookies in there. Above the campground near the waterfall area. Water is about 3ft across and 6in deep.

Blktailhunter
05-14-2008, 05:19 PM
yep. It is closed to fishing. Those are steelhead.

snorky
05-15-2008, 09:25 AM
I know they are Brook Trout just as is found in great numbers above Alum Rock Park in Penetencia Creek, Isabella Creek and Smith Creek just to name a few. All non seasonal creeks seem to have them. White tiped fins and all. A very beautiful fish indeed. Actually very different from stealhead. I know Stealhead also inhabit most of these waters.
Fishing is illegal in all of these waters, but my question is refering to the unknown creek above Sveadel. It may be Uvas Creek or Little Uvas Creek, but so far I am unsure. Google maps does not state this and it branches off up near Sveadel. Has many feeder creeks that are also non seasonal.

Sin_Coast
05-15-2008, 10:15 AM
Yes, they were VERY similar to brookies. The ones I caught/saw had white-tipped fins and dark mottling on thier backs. I assumed they were some sort of brook/rainbow hybrid.
I'm almost certain that the creeks up there are considered tributaries to Uvas Ck. And Uvas Ck (and its tribs) are only open during steelhead season below the Hwy 152 bridge to barbless C+R fishing. Amazingly enough, there are still lots of steelhead that spawn in the Uvas and its tribs. But they cannot ascend the dam at Uvas Res.
Svedal…I'm still laughing about that one! Cool place.
PK

aznboi320
05-15-2008, 01:54 PM
(201) Uvas or Carnadero Creek (Santa Clara Co.)
(A) From Highway 152 Bridge to Uvas Dam. Closed to all fishing all year.
(B) From mouth to Highway 152 Bridge. Dec. 1 through Mar. 7, but only on Sat., Sun., Wed., legal holidays and opening and closing
days. Only barbless hooks may be used.
bag limit is 0

my friend caught a nice steelhead there years ago.

snorky
05-15-2008, 02:56 PM
Aznboi320
Thanks for the post, but that is exactly what I mean. That creek, assuming it is Uvas Creek, goes for miles far above Uvas Dam back deep into Swanson Canyon surounded by over 3000ft elevations of steep rugged terrain, with some serious deep pools. As far as page 57 of the regs book goes, there is no upper creek mentioned. The regs book only mentions from the ocean to the Uvas Dam. I assume it is legal since there is no Law to uphold, but I like to fish with piece of mind. It is also mostly government land (county park).
On another note, I have always wondered why the many pristine, cold running, year around high elevation creeks do not have a stocking program. The water is perfect in some of these creeks.

Fish_R_Us
05-15-2008, 04:30 PM
Those native trout that are upsteam are actually Cutthroats or Cuttbow variants. You can see the slight red under the gill plates. We use to don camo gear and hide from the dark blue helicopters when the place was all controlled by the Air Force right after the large radar dome and Nike Missile sites were being demolished. My friend use to take me up there between 1978 -1982. The place has different microclimates as you ascend up twords Loma Prieta. There are some wild flower strains that are non-existant any where else in the Bay Area. There are also alot of natural caverns that have not been explored in ages.

Sin_Coast
05-16-2008, 12:32 PM
The creeks/rivers not listed in the Special Regulations are managed under the District General Regs. We are in the South Central District (see page 28 http://www.dfg.ca.gov/regulations/08-09-inland-fish-regs.pdf ) which has a trout season from "last Sat in April through Nov 15." So that means lots of our local creeks are open to fishing during trout season. Unless they are listed in the Special Regs section.

Since Uvas Creek IS listed in the Special Regs, you can only fish it (and its tributaries) during the seasons listed. Uvas Creek is listed in the Special Regs as open during steelhead season (Dec to March) only.
So that means the upper stretches of the creek are closed to all fishing.

The only way Little Uvas Ck (or Swanson Creek) would be legal is if its NOT a tributary to Uvas Ck, and does NOT flow into Uvas Res. Otherwise, it is part of the Uvas Ck watershed, which is managed by the Special Regs.

Blktailhunter
05-16-2008, 12:52 PM
You also need to be very carefull not to stumble across someone's illegal marijuana garden up there. If it's remote and has water it is a prime area for illegal grows. If you stumble across black drip irrigation piping I would get the heck out of dodge. There are more grows up there than you would think and the growers don't think twice about protecting their investment.

sktandstry
05-17-2008, 07:05 PM
I am very interested in finding a stream around my house for fly fishing...I did a search for uvas creek and came across this thread...Ive been to Uvas canyon park before but never have scoped out the creeks...Today i went up there with my buddy to do some hiking and scope out the streams..We followed what i guess was swanson creek..the stream reminded me of a small brook or creek you would see in the eastern sierra ...kind of like levvit creek on the eastern side of the sonora pass...There were many fishy holes in swanson creek and I was able to spot a few catchable trout in these holes...would require a stealth approach..On the way out i saw the park ranger and asked if any of the creeks in the park are open for fishing..His response was Yes they all are open for fishing..He rarely sees anyone bring a fishing pole up there...So there you go...straight from the horses mouth..I hope I did not blow up a spot...glad I found this site..peace

Blktailhunter
05-18-2008, 08:24 AM
Interesting that the ranger said it is OK to fish that creek. I wonder if a warden would have the same opinion.

sktandstry
05-18-2008, 08:55 AM
Thats what I was thinking to about the warden but i assume rangers know there **** 2...He did say the creek below the dam is off limits for most of the year due to the fact that its a part of the pajaro river watershed where steelhead are dwindling in #'s...The reisdent bows that are in little uvas creek and swanson creek are landlocked steelhead that have been there since the dam was built..kind of like the native trout that reside between anderson lake and coyote lake in coyote creek...Also scoped out little arthur creek on redwood retreat road and saw many baby steelheads in the small pools..good sign..peaace...

Fish_R_Us
05-19-2008, 03:50 PM
Blktailhunter has a good rule that applies to all trout streams for the entire state.

DO NOT follow any piping or hoses that extend into the creek. To do so may be HAZARDOUS to your health. By the time that you've spotted the piping - you have probably been spotted in somebody's crosshairs. Alot of Mexican gangs would rather shoot you and torch the place before escaping without a trace.

sktandstry
05-20-2008, 04:54 PM
Yes that area is prime spot for grow ops...most likely locals not mexican cartels though...kind of creepy out there for sure..stay away

Nighthawk111
07-03-2012, 06:07 PM
Does anyone know if it is legal to fish in the creek above Sveadel in the Swanson Canyon? I believe it is Uvas Creek or a tributary of, although I am unsure. There are some beautiful trout in there.

Thanks

Little Uvas Creek is Privately owned by the land owners on either side. It is illegal to fish because they do not permit trespassing. At one time before the Uvas dam was built that creek along with the others around it teamed with Steelhead. But because they did not put a fish ladder in when they built it, the only ones that are there are ones that have been seeded. How do I know this? Because I am one of the land owners. I remember as a little boy watching people gaff them out of the creek. Now people are just happy to see a few.

Jfitalia
07-03-2012, 09:07 PM
Little Uvas Creek is Privately owned by the land owners on either side. It is illegal to fish because they do not permit trespassing. At one time before the Uvas dam was built that creek along with the others around it teamed with Steelhead. But because they did not put a fish ladder in when they built it, the only ones that are there are ones that have been seeded. How do I know this? Because I am one of the land owners. I remember as a little boy watching people gaff them out of the creek. Now people are just happy to see a few.

You do realize this post is 4 years old....?

AFISHYNADO25
02-17-2017, 11:44 AM
With the weath

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 4037N using Tapatalk

AFISHYNADO25
02-17-2017, 11:50 AM
What I meant to say is that with this rainy weather the steelhead will be stacked up at the base of the spillway below uvas. Fun to watch in clear water.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 4037N using Tapatalk

sarahpee
02-23-2017, 01:33 PM
Ah, the stories fishermen tell, i guess thats how a 12 inch trout turns into a monster that breaks the line. Anyway, my 2 cents, oh the stories of farms of pot growing the the foothills of the santa cruz mountain area.....in someones cross hairs, hahaha. How many times have we heard of a citizen went hiking and never returned to his family, a UFO abduction? Pot growers protecting their investments?? Yes people always go missing, and there are odd fires which spring up to cover up the murder.....oh and the grand daddy of them all, Nike missile sites.....I was stationed there in the Air Force, it was a satellite tracking station, which is all it ever was. Oh, and for the land owner, have you ever heard of the "high water mark".....so no you dont own the creek, I could walk up the bank, or the middle of it if it is shallow enough, and there is nothing you could do....well at least legally you couldnt.

P.S. To the guy who wants to fish it, go ahead, and if anyone ever finds you, and a warden writes you a ticket (I think there isnt a warden within 20 miles of this area), I will pay the fine, and you will get an experience fishing for wild Rainbow trout/steelhead, not brookies, or cutts, you can share here with all the readers. Peace

LockHerUp
08-31-2018, 01:14 PM
glyang

This is the thread I was talking about.

GR8ANGLER
08-31-2018, 03:03 PM
Ah, the stories fishermen tell, i guess thats how a 12 inch trout turns into a monster that breaks the line. Anyway, my 2 cents, oh the stories of farms of pot growing the the foothills of the santa cruz mountain area.....in someones cross hairs, hahaha. How many times have we heard of a citizen went hiking and never returned to his family, a UFO abduction? Pot growers protecting their investments?? Yes people always go missing, and there are odd fires which spring up to cover up the murder.....oh and the grand daddy of them all, Nike missile sites.....I was stationed there in the Air Force, it was a satellite tracking station, which is all it ever was. Oh, and for the land owner, have you ever heard of the "high water mark".....so no you dont own the creek, I could walk up the bank, or the middle of it if it is shallow enough, and there is nothing you could do....well at least legally you couldnt.

P.S. To the guy who wants to fish it, go ahead, and if anyone ever finds you, and a warden writes you a ticket (I think there isnt a warden within 20 miles of this area), I will pay the fine, and you will get an experience fishing for wild Rainbow trout/steelhead, not brookies, or cutts, you can share here with all the readers. Peace
For the rule about the high water mark the waterway either has to now or at some time been considered a “navigable” river/stream. Try fishing along the Fall River and see what happens....