PDA

View Full Version : Trout at Shadow Cliffs?

cpvince
05-02-2008, 10:11 AM
Hey everyone,

I'm going to be taking my coworker out for some trout fishing tomorrow and I'd really like to put him on some fish. Can anyone give me some tips on what's been working at this lake? The last time I fished this lake for trout consistently was maybe 4 or 5 years ago, and I know a lot has changed since then. Any help is much appreciated. Feel free to pm any advice too, I'll be checking my pm's a lot today Thanks a bunch!

Vince

robonthefly
05-02-2008, 08:49 PM
Just do what you always did, I live out that way. although have not fished the lake in over 4 months , it seemed that a float tube and wooly bugger alwys got the job done there for me. Other wise it is a bait dunkers delight. Try the green pb with trout sauce.
Good Luck , :)
RobontheFly

Mackattack
05-02-2008, 11:13 PM
I havent been there in a while either but seems to me the hot spots are the docks on the the south side or the bank below Stanley Blvd. to the east ? Good luck and post your results(good or bad)please.

Mackattack [smiley=swimmingfish.gif]

h2odog
05-04-2008, 02:26 PM
Hey Vince
Check out the latest edition of the Fish Sniffer (May 9 - 23) Pg 32 shows some a talented angler who caught 4 trout for a total of 43 LBS !!! That was back in January, but it bodes well for Shadow Cliffs anglers. Sorry, the photo caption doesn't give any bait or location details.
How did you do ??

AprilDawn
05-05-2008, 07:07 PM
My husband and I are talking about going to Shadow Cliffs this coming Sunday. We figure we'll go after trout, but we're wondering...

Does Shadow Cliffs still have those whale sized carp?

And uh... they got any crawdads there? ::)

Keating
05-13-2008, 10:29 PM
Hey everyone,

I'm going to be taking my coworker out for some trout fishing tomorrow and I'd really like to put him on some fish. *Can anyone give me some tips on what's been working at this lake? *The last time I fished this lake for trout consistently was maybe 4 or 5 years ago, and I know a lot has changed since then. *Any help is much appreciated. *Feel free to pm any advice too, I'll be checking my pm's a lot today *Thanks a bunch! *

Vince

My buddy and I have real good success at Shadow Cliffs on two white power eggs with a single sparkly orange power worm.
Seems odd that that combo works so well at SC, but Shadow Cliffs is the only place it works so well... at least for me.
We usually fish off the docks furthest away from Stanley Blvd (but not the last one)

AprilDawn
05-15-2008, 07:28 AM
Well, my husband and I went to Shadow Cliffs on Sunday (5/11) and got skunked. We were about halfway up the trail on the levee side. We tried rainbow power bait, chartreuse power bait, white power bait and the old worm and a marshmallow. (Also tried for carp and bass)

From what I gathered from everyone on the shoreline it was a no-bites kind of day. No trout, no carp, and I only ran into one angler who caught and released 3 bass...

Did anyone here go that day? Did any boaters catch trout trolling? Because I didn't see or hear about anyone catching anything.

On the bright side, it was a beautiful day. Blue skies, sunny, warm and just the right amount of breeze. *;)

Blktailhunter
05-15-2008, 09:13 AM
Here's a report from another site from yesterday:

"Caught 2 limits of nice trout today by 9:15 at Shadow Cliffs reservoir. Rainbow glitter power bait. 2 lb leader is very important. What a change. 60 lb sturgeon yesterday, 2 lb trout today. This area is amazing. Wind came up very strong at 11:00. Life is great. See you out there. "

This guy fishes in a boat and anchors straight out from the docks in about 40 feet of water. He usually does very well. So if you have a boat that is where you would want to start. The shore guys are not doing so well.

CountryBoy
05-15-2008, 10:24 PM
did i read this wrong or did he say he caught a sturgeon at shadow cliffs? :-?

AprilDawn
05-16-2008, 06:41 AM
:o I'd have to see that come out of the water... I don't recall ever having heard of sturgeon at Shadow Cliffs. Did he get a photo before he released it?

CountryBoy
05-16-2008, 01:03 PM
that cant be right, i mean the lake isnt very big, if there were in fact sturgeon in there you would see sturgeon fisherman everywhere

kokedealer
05-16-2008, 02:07 PM
might the guy have been fishing somewhere else the day prior?

that's the way I read it

::)

johnbfishin
05-16-2008, 02:37 PM

that's the way I read it

Yup.....that would be my guess.
I've heard rumors of Sturgeon in Del Valle though.

Blktailhunter
05-16-2008, 03:28 PM
The guy caught the sturgeon the day before in Montezuma slough. *He was talking about the bay area and its fishing opportunities where you can catch a sturgeon one day and trout the next.

CountryBoy
05-17-2008, 04:10 PM
thats what i thought, jus makin sure. thanks for clarifying ;)

jvle95
05-18-2008, 10:14 AM
Hey guys, I live just down the road from Shadow Cliffs and if memory serves me right I do believe a sturgeon was caught in SC a few years ago. I am not 100% certain on this but after reading your posts I seem to remember reading it in the paper at the time. I prefer Del Valle hands down over SC just for the scenery alone but SC is still a nice little spot to visit.

AprilDawn
05-19-2008, 06:47 AM

that's the way I read it

Yup.....that would be my guess.
I've heard rumors of Sturgeon in Del Valle though.

OK... now that makes sense! (And now that you mention it, I've also heard the Del Valle/sturgeon rumors.)