PDA

View Full Version : Success Lake

HogFan
05-16-2008, 09:26 AM
I'm heading to the Porterville area beginning of next week for work purposes. Not familiar with that area but heard of Success Lake that is only 5 miles from where I will be staying. Since it's work, I would not be able to bring my boat but will have time for shore fishing. Any advice would be appreciated. area? bait or lures?

Thanks,
HogFan

xcrossroad
05-16-2008, 10:02 AM
The water in lake Success has been kept pretty low in preperation for work on the dam. Last year it was taken down so low that the oxygen level wouldn't sustain the fish populations and some died. I read in the paper that it is at 30 something percent of capacity. You might try Kaweah which is not to far away and it has a very good Crappie population and last weeks fish report said they are catching them somewhere around the first boat ramp. It is by far my favorite Crappie lake. I was thinking of trying it this weekend. I used to live in Porterville and fish the Rivers above lake Success. I just don't know what is open to the public anymore. Coffee Camp might be a place to start.

Crossroads

minimankin
05-16-2008, 02:58 PM
i grew up in porterville and used to fish it on a weekly basis. i go back most weekends so i am still able to hit it pretty regularly. I would recommend the west side of the lake.... make a left at success market... then a right at the stop sign. take the first access road to your right once you pass the gate. there is a long stretch of shoreline between the damn and the first major point. usually this is a good area to hit the banks. always yellow power bait on a small trebble hook with a two foot leader. use the slide weight and you should be pretty good to go. tied up a few spinners a couple weeks ago and pulled them behind a seps with a buddy and we had decent limits within a couple hours so i know the fish are there. be sure to pay your day use fee... the rangers have been cracking down pretty hard...

chris

HogFan
05-16-2008, 09:12 PM
Crossroads and Chris.....Thanks for the great info! Hopefully I would put it to good use on Tuesday. ;D

HogFan