PDA

View Full Version : Crystal Basin Report

Capt.Ken
04-28-2008, 03:16 PM
Well, it is definitely spring up in the Crystal Basin Area. Union Valley, Ice House are the only two lakes fishable at this time. The run off from the snow melt is very heavy at this time and the lakes are rising fast. This is really contributing to a very poor bite. However, the good news, the lakes are filling up. We are going to need all that water. Looking back on past years with these conditions, the bite will improve as soon as the lakes stabilize. Probably in a week to 10 days. Loon Lake is still frozen over. No access at the ramp. Still 3-4 ft. of snow on the road to the launch. I will try to update weekly as I continue fishing up there.

Capt. Ken

camotracker
04-28-2008, 05:36 PM
thank you capt.ken, i 've been waiting for your report. can't wait to fish it once again. thank you sir. see you on the water.

LEO"CAMOTRACKER"

tragedyspring
04-28-2008, 09:33 PM
thanks for the report. probably going koke fishing at UVR sometime in late may. Ill be the guy in the little red boat following you around again

CHad

Nor-Cal_Angler
04-28-2008, 09:49 PM
Well, it is definitely spring up in the Crystal Basin Area. *Union Valley, Ice House are the only two lakes fishable at this time. *The run off from the snow melt is very heavy at this time and the lakes are rising fast. *This is really contributing to a very poor bite. *However, the good news, *the lakes are filling up. *We are going to need all that water. *Looking back on past *years with these conditions, the bite will improve as soon as the lakes stabilize. *Probably in a week to 10 days. *Loon Lake is still frozen over. *No access at the ramp. *Still 3-4 ft. of snow on the road to the launch. *I will try to update weekly as I continue fishing up there.

Capt. Ken

I don't think the 20 boats zipping around Ice House help matters much! No better way to push the fish down and give them lockjaw than to have fast rising lake levels and tons of people/boats. They can have it until fall!

robert_long
04-29-2008, 05:46 AM
Ken thanks for the info. Hope to be up there in about three weeks for some of those kokes. Keep us posted. :D

Robert 8-)

GoneCountry
04-29-2008, 07:43 AM
Ditto ,my yearly trek up there is about then too! Cant wait

MIRRORIDER
05-13-2008, 08:05 PM
Hi Ken.
I'd sure appreciate an update on Loon Lake if you have been up there recently. I plan on going up next weekend. I am guessing that there are still a few snow drifts, but I hope the launch is open.

Thanks,
Adam

Gromulin
05-14-2008, 09:04 AM
I'm heading up there for camping at Wench Creek the first week of June. Just checked the CDEC website, and it looks like that is the historical week the lake tops off.

Is there decent banking around Wench Creek? Is there a place to rent a small boat nearby?

rtandersen
05-14-2008, 03:30 PM
I'm heading up there for camping at Wench Creek the first week of June. Just checked the CDEC website, and it looks like that is the historical week the lake tops off.

Is there decent banking around Wench Creek? Is there a place to rent a small boat nearby?

There is no boat rentals in the crystal basin. Wench creek has some good fishing spots .

notenufffishn
05-15-2008, 07:19 AM
Wench Creek is my favorite campground at UVR. If you look to the right the powerhouse is right there at that end of the lake. I have done pretty good over there. If you are not catching anything there get in the car and go up to Loon (check the posts here first) or Icehouse. Between the htree lakes you should do pretty good.

In my opinion UVR is the hardest of the three to catch trout at.