PDA

View Full Version : Lake Davis 5/9 - 5/10

SuperDave
05-11-2008, 01:37 PM
We left on Thursday afternoon as to beat the crowd at the campground and we were one of about 5 occupied camp sites in the entire campground for the whole weekend. *We launched at 6:30 a.m. on Friday and starting having success right out of the ramp on our way to the island. *We spent most of our time on the northwest side of the island and boated 19 by noon. *The 2 most productive lures were a 2" lime green grub with an orange power egg head and a #1 perch needle fish. *In the early morning I was top lining and after the sun got warm, went to 7' on the downrigger.

http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/1742/ld1ld1.jpg

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/7776/ld2po7.jpg

All fish were between 12" - 14" with a couple that might of went 16". *These are real Eagle Lake strain as they fought great for small fish.

Later that afternoon, we went into Portola for bugers and milk shakes. *While we were killing some time at the hardware store, we ran into wolfden. *Wolfden, it was great to meet you.

On Saturday, the fishing was not at all like the day before. *We went back to the same places, using the same things for no bites in the first 2 hours. *By the time I got to my third level of lure changes I fell on something they liked. *It was a #2 WM needle fish. *We ended up with 15 fish in the next 4 hours. As the picture indicates, the weather was perfect and the lake anything but crowded.

http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/828/ld3oh1.jpg

Back at camp, we had a great site with a view of the lake and all the comforts of home.

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/1860/ld4er8.jpg

vvbob
05-11-2008, 02:04 PM
Nice report SD. Looks like you had some awesome weather, no crowds, & you caught good numbers of fish. Can't get better than that.
Was it a little cool at night with the snow still on the mountains??

SuperDave
05-11-2008, 02:31 PM
Bob, the mornings were in the high 30's. But once the sun crested the horizon, the layers of sweatshirts started to come off. It was a very nice and peaceful trip and can't wait till next year when the lake is back at peak form.

ParadisePontoon
05-11-2008, 02:40 PM
Dave, hope my tips helped you. ;) *Anyway, glad you guys had a good time. *Can't wait for Friday's delivery (big fish!). *It will be a zoo for sure this weekend!

- Paradise Pontoon

gadgetman
05-11-2008, 02:55 PM
Looks great to me. I have that same picture of Smith Peak with about the same amount of snow on it. The area you fished is my favorite area at Davis. Have they started charging to launch your boat yet? Read something about that. Was wondering how that was going to work as there isn't a lot of room to put in a booth on the entrance to the ramp. Hows the water level, is the lighting tree ramp in the water? Thanks for reporting, brings back a lot of great memories.

SuperDave
05-11-2008, 03:01 PM
Dave, hope my tips helped you. ;) *Anyway, glad you guys had a good time. *Can't wait for Friday's delivery (big fish!). *It will be a zoo for sure this weekend!

- Paradise Pontoon

PP, I couldn't get a fish to bite fly no matter the color or action I put on it. *Thanks for all the tips though. *It was a great trip and a good tune up for Eagle Lake in 2 weeks.

gadgetman,

The water is painfully low and there wasn't a charge at the ramp. In fact, I left my truck and boat in the parking lot over night because it was a pita pulling it through the campground. I kept thinking how a chainsaw and a couple days of thinning along the loops would make life so much nicer for bigger rigs.

LTZOUT
05-11-2008, 03:06 PM
Nice report!! glad to hear the fish are being caught there.

Did you notice any float tubers out there? If so, did hear any reports. As soon as I'm allowed to leave my house, due to recent back surgery, I'm headed up there to start floating with some flies.

Nice job guys.

Burt

SuperDave
05-11-2008, 03:10 PM
LTZOUT, until next weekends plant of the monsters, they've all been the small fish. One thing I can tell you, the fish are spread to all ends of the lake so tubing Mosquito Slough or Cow Creek will produce fish. To give people an idea how low the water is, I couldn't troll the cove infront of Mosquito slough this time because it was too shallow to make any turns without hanging up.

AllFishNoWork
05-11-2008, 05:36 PM
Great report Dave, good to hear you had a good time. I'm guessing after next weekends festivities the lake won't be so quiet.

Mickey_Thomas
05-11-2008, 06:57 PM
Really nice report and pic's Dave, sounds like a really good time, wish I could have made it for a day at least :-/, Hope Eagle lake has enough water for us to at least dock our boats :D

Rod Bender
05-12-2008, 05:07 AM
Thanks for the report SD, I want to get up there again this year. I wonder how much more the water will drop by mid July?

SuperDave
05-12-2008, 05:36 AM
Honker Cove ramp appears to be barely in the water. If it drops a lot, it might be small boats only and bank fishermen.

kokedealer
05-12-2008, 01:10 PM
Honker Cove ramp appears to be barely in the water. *If it drops a lot, it might be small boats only and bank fishermen.

thanks for the report and way to go on them truckers!

hehehe, drop a bit more Davis! the quackdealer launches ANYwhere!

bydesign
05-12-2008, 05:37 PM
Davis is a beautiful lake and the fish grow at a phenomenal rate. It is too bad that they taste so bad and nothing we have tried ( apples, garlic, tomatoes, bacon etc) seems to help. In 1967 when I first fished the lake the fish were enormous but tasted enormously bad!! After fishing Eagle and eating Eagle lake trout I rarely go back to Davis.

SuperDave
05-12-2008, 06:23 PM
bydesign, it must have been the time of year your went. These fish caught in the spring taste exactly like Eagle Lake fish with orange meat to boot. But by mid summer, the algae bloom starts at Davis and the fish start to get a muddy taste. In the early spring, fantastic!

drstressor
05-12-2008, 06:56 PM
Yep. Davis fish taste fine in the spring. They start to get skunky about mid June and they are really bad through September. By late October and November, they are good to eat again.

bydesign
05-13-2008, 07:51 AM
It was probably during June when we would go up about the time my daughter would get out of school and not after Sept when she went back.

Now that I am retired and daughter is 44 yrs maybe it is time to give it another try before June and after Oct.

I remember fishing Davis with my daughter sometime around the mid 70,s in June after a late spring thaw. They had just opened the campgrounds up and the district ranger had saved the best campsite and we had taken the one next to it. It turned out we were camped next to singer John Denver and his group who fished and practiced for a concert at the oakland coliseum. The campground was almost empty and we were invited to their campfire and had a personal concert for the next two nights. Good Memories!!

CHEESECAKELADY
05-13-2008, 09:10 AM
Dave looks like you and Karen had a good time catching some nice fish. We have camped there lots of times. It is one of my favorite places to fish because they don't allow jetskis or waterskiing. The lake is stricktly for fishing. I also like to camp under the big pines. We usually unhook the boat trailer out by the road and put a lock on it so nobody can take off with it and we have never had a problem by doing that. Tell Karen I said hi and hope to see you two soon.

Dee

duckhuntwater-guy
05-13-2008, 01:10 PM
SD,

I hope the fish at Eagle are a little bigger than at Davis. ;) I know there *planning to plant some huge trout at Davis in the next couple of weeks. It looks like you had a great time. I will be at Berryessa on Friday for some Koke fishing. See you in two weeks. Take care.

DHWG

troutfan
05-13-2008, 03:22 PM
There having a fish stocking party at Davis Lake with fish up to 13 pounds! :o
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24600725

Captain Compassion
05-13-2008, 05:11 PM
There having a fish stocking party at Davis Lake with fish up to 13 pounds! :o

:o indeed. Hope someone puts it on U-Tube. Thanks for the link.

CC

SuperDave
05-13-2008, 05:45 PM
I don't see why it would have hurt them to put a few truck loads of those fish in a week earlier. ;)

Mickey_Thomas
05-13-2008, 05:54 PM
But then you would have caught them all by now ;D ;D ;D

bydesign
05-13-2008, 06:00 PM
You don't want to catch fish that have just been planted that isn't any fun!

Shut the lake down for a couple of years and let them turn into real fish.

troutfan
05-13-2008, 06:42 PM
I don't see why it would have hurt them to put a few truck loads of those fish in a week earlier. * ;)
You'll just have to go back fro some of those trout Dave. ;)

DraginBalls
05-14-2008, 09:47 AM
? Are two strokes allowed in davis?

fishguts
05-14-2008, 11:41 AM
SuperDave:

My biggest problem is finding lakes that I can leave my boat in the water since I pull a motorhome and it needs to stay in camp for the W.
Can you leave your boat in the water within reasonable distance to the campgrounds?

SuperDave
05-14-2008, 11:57 AM
fishguts, how big is your boat? There are a number of camp sites along the water where guys drive a post in the ground and tie the boat.

Draggin balls, there are a lot of small, old boats out there with 2 strokes, so I would say yes.

CHEESECAKELADY
05-14-2008, 12:03 PM
John and I have beached both our 19 foot Jetcraft as well as the 24 foot Bayliner full hard cabin in the area where the dock is and we never had any trouble with either one of them. Like you we have a motorhome so it was the only way we could camp there. When we had the Bayliner, we couldn't get it and the truck with a cabover camper on it through the campground without getting hung up on the trees.

Dee

Martinez Frank
05-14-2008, 06:30 PM
Dave, great report and pics ;) good trip to get you warmed up for Eagle Lake. That place looks awesome and to have it almost to yourself is priceless.