PDA

View Full Version : Bucks Lake, near Quincy, Calif

Hiking-Jay
05-12-2008, 12:18 PM
In mid-June I'll be camping with a friend at Buck's Lake. He's pretty new to fishing and he is excited about catching a few trout.

I've only fished Buck's Lake once before, in August of 2005, but I did pretty good with cast-a-lures and pink lemonade powerbait.

Does anybody have any additional advice on how to put my friend on a few fish? Should fishing in mid-June be very different from the conditions in August? We'll have kayaks with us too, so trolling is an option as long as down riggers aren't required.

SuperDave
05-12-2008, 12:24 PM
The mouth of Mill Creek with some crawlers might be a good thing to try while drifting in your kayak.
Another productive technique up there is to cast F-5 & F-7 Rapalas to the shore and rip them back during the retrieve for Browns.

billfisher
05-12-2008, 01:02 PM
Yes, the creek arms and inlets are the places to go for the kind of fishing you are talking about. There is also a campground on the Mill Creek arm and you can just paddle around there and probably get into fish. I've caught lots of small but nice brook trout there.

ParadisePontoon
05-12-2008, 01:18 PM
You will want to use the Sundew boat ramp and campground. *They are plowing the road over the dam now, so should be another week or so before they have that area cleared. *You can troll rapalas or flies and catch brookies, browns, and rainbows. *You might even get lucky and catch a Mac or some kokes. *That's one of the beauties of Bucks! ;D

- Paradise Pontoon

Hiking-Jay
05-12-2008, 01:59 PM
Thanks, this all sounds great. I have lots of Rapalas from trolling at Del Valle, so I should be in good shape. Hopefully I get my friend into a big one that will keep him hooked on fishing. ;D

Mr_Ed
05-12-2008, 05:41 PM
small but nice brook trout..........

yep 14" is a nice small brookie. ;)

SOUTH_BAY_FISHER
05-13-2008, 09:06 AM
Man i haven't fished this lake in years but have fond memories. My family rented a house on the shore there when i was a kid we had a small boat that we all piled into and ran across the lake to were there was an inlet streem or something. We floated worms and salmon eggs and nailed the trout. The lake is beautiful and i would love to go back and fish there some time now that i live half way across the country it may not happen but so many lakes to fish.

Ben

OTDRSMN
05-13-2008, 07:17 PM
Hiking-Jay,

I have fished Bucks for many years and one of my favorite lakes! ;D

With Kayaks you can really fish the entire lake but I would start with the Mill Creek area first. *Fish near where the stream comes into the lake on the east side near the brush. *Lots of trout hang out in that area. *Also a hidden stump halfway out, that you sometimes can see, is where some nice fat rainbows hang out.

Fishing in June should be perfect as the water should have warmed up enough for the fish to be active. *The early in the year the better for Macks and browns. *The later in the year then you can catch everything else.

Bucks Lake is great because if you're lucky you get the grand slam! The grand slam is catching a Mack, Brown, Rainbow, Brook and Kokanee. *For more direct information go to the Marina and talk to Dewitt Henderson, the owner, who is a wealth of current info on what is biting and what to use. *

I float tubed at Bucks a lot and trolled threaded nightcrawlers with a dodger to get it down a little bit. *Knocked them dead with that rig. *Don't forget to use some kind of scent, which helps also. *Also any effective lure or plug that works in other lakes will work there. *Really don't need a downrigger unless going for the big Macks. *If you want to go for the big Macks you can jig for them, which is very effective. *I've caught some nice 5 or 6 lb Macks just toplining. *Depends on the area and time of the year.

Good luck and enjoy one of the more beautiful lakes in Northern California! *;)

OTDRSMN

Hiking-Jay
05-14-2008, 07:37 AM
Great info OUTDRSMN! I forgot about the marina up there. I'll be sure to stop in and see what they recommend. 8-)

SuperDave
05-14-2008, 08:55 AM
Hiking Jay, with kayaks, don't neglect Lower Bucks either. It is full of plate sized browns.