PDA

View Full Version : Sacramento........where are the trout!

stlr1000
05-05-2008, 09:42 PM
Does anyone know where the trout are right now. I am clueless. I would like to take my wife fishing as she has never been, but i cant seem to find any info on any good trout fishing right now. If anyone knows of any easy to get to hotspots and what bait and tackle they are biting at, that would be awesome.

dano
05-06-2008, 05:01 AM
hang tough. someone here will help you out. I'm not real familar with your area, but I think Amador might be a good place to try. Not too far and some good reports at times.
dano

cgagex3
05-06-2008, 06:01 AM
First stlr welcome to the boards,
You are right in a slightly tough spot time wise on finding good trout fishing here, it is getting awful warm in the valley.
A couple of questions so that everyone can help you out.
How far are you ready to drive, and are you banking it or boating.
The lakes in the Sierras are going to bust loose any day now. I am a regular up Hwy 88 but you can also go up 50 & 80. I live in Galt and in under 2 hours I can be up at Bear River, Caples, Silver & Red Lakes and catch fish all day. Also great spot if you like camping.
More than happy to give pointers. Just let us know where you are willing to make the trek to.
Once it hits 70 here in valley I tend to hibernate in the air conditioning until my lakes up the hill ice out. My poor pontoon is feeling neglected, it hasn't been our in over three weeks.

CG

Atlas
05-06-2008, 10:51 AM
What kind of pontoon do you have cage? Just trying to get ideas for how I could get out on the water without dropping tremendous amounts of cash. Been back and forth on an Adventure 14 canoe from Mad River but I'd have to install a pretty expensive rack system to hoist it to my car. Any suggestions/recommendation? Would like to actually get a chance to catch some decent fish this season and while I'll be trying to pick up fly fishing it's going to get really hot really soon and whether or not the bite at the local rivers/streams will stay good is always in question. Plus hiking to those tough to reach spots is tough when you're carrying all that gear lol.

cgagex3
05-06-2008, 01:24 PM
You can get into some pretty nice pontoons or float tubes for not a lot of money. I got a nice arrow backpacker from cabellas for around $225 throw in waders and fins and you aren't looking to bad. Great for when we go camping, it breaks down into backpack size for easy packing. Normally when I am using it a lot I keep it inflated in the third car side of my garage. I can just toss it in the back of my pick-up without breaking it down or tie it down on top of the roof rack on the SUV. It only weighs 45 lbs so it is easy to carry.
If you do break it down it only takes about 15 minutes to put together.

CG

zhands
05-06-2008, 01:47 PM
Lots of info out there. Search this board. Scroll thru the reports once you have found some lakes in your driving distance. Now is the time for the mountain lakes.

http://www.fishsniffer.com/maps/index.html

http://www.fishsniffer.com/hotbites/

Fishing line
http://www.sacbee.com/384/index.html

z

stlr1000
05-10-2008, 11:28 PM
WOW!!!! thanks for such a warm welcome. you guys rock. I am looking for around an hours drive as i live in rocklin area and would like to find something around here within an hour or so, folsom isnt any good except for the bass right now. I really like to catch fish i like to eat and that would be trout at the top. :D