PDA

View Full Version : Comanche 5/4

fishnmike2002
05-05-2008, 07:27 AM
Dad and I started out the morning down by the dam pulling various Rapalas set from the surface down to 25 feet. As I was setting an orange F-7 out I got slammed and landed a 16 incher. Wow way to start the morning. A few minutes later dad hooked up a similar size fish on a brook trout F-7, also on top. Then the bite quite. Kimber was up on the bow looking for fish and telling us which way to go.
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/6103/kimber3crpai0.jpg

We worked the dam, Big Hat, Little Hat and the open water for nothing for several hours. I worked through the tackle box trying everything that has worked for us in the past but still no luck. Even Kimber was giving up hope.
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/4667/kimber4crpht5.jpg

I finally began getting some hits on a silver Apex at 35 feet so we began concentrating on the 30 to 40 foot range. About every half hour or so we would pick up a 15 to 16 inch fish on silver Apex or white grubs. We had a lot of bumps and short strikes. At about 2PM off Little Hat my Apex set at 35 feet got slammed and the fish began peeling line. The fish would not stop running and I half thought I might be hooked on the bottom. The fish finally quit running and began to slug it out and dad began clearing the other lines. Fought the fish for about five minutes before he jumped and threw the lure, he was a toad. What a fish! We ended the day at 4 with 9 15 to 16 inch fish to the boat and kept 3.

The bite has changed drastically each week. This week they would not touch a Rapala even when I finally found the right depth in the afternoon. Water temp was 61 in the morning and 67 in the afternoon. The stomachs of the three fish we kept were packed full of midges and there was a good hatch going on most of the day which probably explains the number of bumps and short strikes.

I installed a TrollMaster throttle control on the T-8 this week and that thing is sweet!

FishnMike

Seon
05-05-2008, 11:58 AM
Great report. Did you launch at South or North shore? Reason is that I'm curious if South shore has the main ramp open or is the dirt road alternate ramp still being used?

crank_bait
05-05-2008, 12:27 PM
we were on the lake all day on saturday........it was dead. bass tournament was going on.....that was crazy. around 5pm i brought in a 24 in trout between big and little hat at 40 feet on a 4 in rapala.

fishnmike2002
05-05-2008, 01:25 PM
Seon,

I meant to include that in my report, the south shore is back to launching off the low water ramp again. Not too bad other then when some of the folks up there camping choose to leave their boats tied to the dock for the weekend.

Crankbait, I saw your report, congrats on the nice fish.

FishnMike

kokemachine83
05-05-2008, 06:40 PM
Hey Mike, Looks like it's starting to slow down up there? They are a lot deeper now too. If you can't find them, no one can. At least you got some to take home. Good luck and see you on the water soon!!!

Robbie (Koke Machine)...