PDA

View Full Version : Carson River

anglinfool
04-30-2008, 10:36 AM
Anyone been around the west or east forks? How are the flows? I'm trying to head up this weekend but if conditions aren't good what's the point with gas at $4 a gallon. :(

MARYSVILLEFISHIN
04-30-2008, 01:32 PM
Well we went up on friday the river was ideal for saturday then sunday it rose went back on monday the snow runoff really began water was up around 2 to 3 feet it looked like water was a little muddy but they are still there and catchable its never a waste to go up there

stripalmon
04-30-2008, 02:28 PM
Havent been that way yet! But I cant wait to get up there.Even if the water is stil high and flowing you usually can find some nice pools around.

brookies
05-01-2008, 07:52 AM
I was over on the West Carson yesterday and the flows were running 150 the water temp was 46 degrees. They will go up some this weekend as it's supposed to get warmer. The clarity was poor but it is fishable. The road to Blue lakes is open to the first gate past the campground. Looks like they could open up to the next bridge before the meadow area soon. The East Carson is running between
600 and 700. This is a little high for wading so use caution. It was up to about 1000 monday and it will probable be there or above if it warms up.
brookies

anglinfool
05-01-2008, 08:50 AM
That's my concern, warm temps and snow run-off.

billfisher
05-01-2008, 09:08 AM
anglinfool:

This site might help you out: http://www.dreamflows.com/flows-canv.php#California_Sierra_East_Slope

anglinfool
05-01-2008, 01:18 PM
Thanks billfisher, that's a valuable website. My next question is what are the usual maximum flows before the Carson becomes unfishable?

billfisher
05-01-2008, 02:52 PM
anglinfool - You can click around on the web site I provided and find the flow rates of the E Carson "near Markleeville" during the past 30 days and see that it went from around 200 cubic feet per second to up over 1000 cfs and back down to around 725 cfs as of recently. I think it fishes best at around 150 cfs (or less) and does not fish well when it gets over about 400 cfs. * *1000 might be good for rafting (if you wear a wet suit) but not fishing. But don't take my word for this because it is based on general memory. Contact the Reno Fly Shop (they are at http://www.renoflyshop.com/). They will have the details since this is one of their main waters.

gbslade
05-02-2008, 06:23 AM
We fished a bit on both the West Carson and Red Lake Creek yesterday. The flow on the West Carson this AM is 141 cfs. This is high and rough. Also, for the most part the water has not yet cleared. No fish. The East Carson this AM is running 551 cfs. Most people think that it is too dangerous to wade much above 300 - 350 cfs. Also the water is still very cold.

Weather forecast for this weekend at Markleeville includes showers and isolated thunderstorms.

But what the heck, any day fishing is better than ...

red_perception
05-02-2008, 06:45 AM
You can also get info from "The Anglers Edge" website. They are a fly shop in Gardnerville. Prsonally have not hit the Carson Rivers in awhile. Good luck, Eric :)

gbslade
05-03-2008, 07:07 AM
The best and most current info on the Carson rivers (East and West) and the surrounding waters (e.g., ICR) is Dave Kirby at Woodfords Station in Woodfords.

StriperSniper
05-05-2008, 04:03 PM
My dad and I hit the east fork sunday at the crack of 9:30, and by noon we both had limits, not to mention too many getting off to count. The water was a little high and moving pretty swiftly, but we were tossing gold Mepps spinners behind big rocks and into slower pools. The water was pretty clear, but not as clear as ususal. All in all, a pretty good day. It beat the hell out of saturday on Topaz. Nothing.