PDA

View Full Version : So Fork American Opener

GCinGV
04-26-2008, 10:41 PM
When we started off near Coloma today at one of my favorite spots I immediately spotted a couple nice Bows sitting on a redd and figured it was going to be a hot bite but as it turned out that wasn’t the case. Resisted the urge to cast on the redds so the spawners could do there thing but threw everything in all the boxes, fly’s, lures and bait, below them for nada.
There were some red and yellow hoppers going off today and some Sculpin in the water. Saw one about two inches long, below the redds that had just been chomped and still alive. Even threw the Sculpin and couldn’t get bit.
Water clear, 52 degrees and the Bows are definitely spawning. The bug hatches seem to be picking up over the last week with the higher air temps. Water temps have been pretty consistent for about three weeks now. Flows were about 400 cfs when we were there which is usually a good number to fish.
Saw no one else at all fishing the Coloma area today so at least that part of the plan worked, different story up river though.
Next we headed up 50 and tried several spots on the So Fork for more Goose eggs. Water running clear and 44 degrees and flows are still down for the moment on the upper river. A few fish were being caught near Silver Fork but saw nothing big. Crowded as expected.
Fished really hard today.
GC

Captain Compassion
04-27-2008, 07:26 AM
I always pass that section of the river when I travel the Western side of the mountains. Guess I'll stop there next time. Thanks for the great story.

CC

foresthill_fishin
04-27-2008, 01:58 PM
:)Great report,as for the goose egg it happens to the best of us :'(.....Im sure the fishin is goin to exsplode soon.............

<(< __< <((>< ____-_--- <(((FISH>< ON! _--_-_-__-_-

\JOEL

tenja
04-27-2008, 03:19 PM
I fished the area along 50 this morning and it was pretty tough. High flows were too much for me to do any good. This stretch of river is just not my cup of tea. The gradient on the river is just tough there. pretty, but tough to fish.

PapaGreg
04-27-2008, 03:59 PM
>:(Had the grand-sons with me this week-end, fished a lot of creeks and forks of rivers in Calaveras county, NADA, hate to say it, but the ocean salmon season isn't the only problem we have!

Every place we fished, used to yield 2-5 fish easily, some of the places don't even have water.

fishwish
04-27-2008, 08:25 PM
Sorry to here about the tough opener CG and PapaGreg. *After that sort of day I usually go on a fishing tear until I triumph. *Last fall, I had a three outing drought on the truckee and I blamed it on all the alder and cottonwood leaves drifting in the stream :-? When the fish aren't biting when they should, I also like to think somebody burned the spot and left just before I got there. *Hopefully there are temporary, isolated reasons for poor fishing and PapaGregs suspicions are not the case.

Treebeard
04-29-2008, 07:44 PM
Fished a South Fork tributary all day opening day for no fish; then at sunset on the way home hit the river - somewhere west of Kyburz (I wasn't paying attention to anything but the river)(and wasn't driving).

Found a spot where it was about 8 feet deep right off shore, downstream from some fast water but off to the side of the main flow. When I drifted my worm just right from the flow into the pool, just at about 20 ft from shore I'd get hit.

Landed a 12" rainbow; then an 11" that was twice as fat as the 'big' one, on about 1/4 ragged leftover worm. Got bites on the further worm remains but had to call it a day due to no flashlight! Now, to find that spot again ;-)

TB