PDA

View Full Version : Spaulding

hellbent
04-28-2008, 07:03 AM
Left Thursday afternoon to work the Spaulding/Bowman area..ready for the snow. *4 x 4's won't get you in to Bowman there is a ton of snow all the way in with a few bare spots. *I started at Spaulding (yes the gate is locked) with a bit of sweat/perseverance/and good cardio workout was able to pack a boat in from Fuller. *The lake has come up at least 15' in the last 2 weeks and the snow is going fast, they must be re-leasing water for it didn't rise in 3 days!
The fishing was phenonomal and the salmon are on a tear right now. *I averaged about 2 dozen per day and they all ranged from 16" to 20" I was pleasently suprised by the size of these. Hooked into about 6 rainbows averaging 2lbs as well . *All of these were caught toplining and the best lure was the new vances spoon that is black and Gold (I call it the halloween lure). *I used a variety of rapalas *as well and picked a few up on the rainbow pattern in a cd-11.
The lakes is about 1 vertical foot away from a major debris line- and the Yuba is Pumping in some serious water now. *The road in from the PG&E area is still under a few feet of snow so there is no telling when they will actualy plow it, the campgrounds are totally socked in as well.

cjskier
04-28-2008, 08:12 AM
I'm confused, you brought it in from fuller? Please explain.

P.S. My roommate is a pg&e guy, that means we have keys and access. Maybe we can try there soon.

hellbent
04-28-2008, 08:19 AM
You can hike the trail from fuller to the Spaulding power house...couple of miles.

auburnfisher
04-28-2008, 09:21 AM
Nice report! Still confused how you packed a boat in a couple of miles. Only fished that lake once (last year) and didn't get fish until I got out of the boat and worked the Yuba entering the lake. Were you top lining or down deep? Can't wait for the gate to open...

hellbent
04-28-2008, 10:06 AM
Everything was right on top! i tried leadcore and got nothing. *Picked up two real nice rainbows in the inlets floating salmon eggs and saw some nice ones come up to take a look. *I just wanted to get on the water before the debris starts, because spring fishing can get messy with all the junk.
The way i figure it...if they can sledge to the north pole...I can get into a lake...my wife calls them "heart pounders", a backpack with a 5 horse and an elk hauler for the boat, one guy pushing-one pulling. I will admit it is alot of work and you have to travel as light as possible, but it beats sitting on the couch.