PDA

View Full Version : Del Valle 041308

kokedealer
04-14-2008, 04:23 PM
Del Valle 041308 – relaxation with my first mate

Sunday morning I was burned out from the previous two days on the water so the plan was an easy drive and some easy fishing for Tara and I. *we didn’t get the quackdealer wet until around 8something, but the lake was still glassy and temps still cool. *Beautiful.
Tara toplined the smallest countdown firetiger rapala, while I dragged a firetiger J7 three feet behind a watermelon sling blade on top, and an firetiger F9 7 feet down on the wire. Very long setbacks.
I farmed one near the boat on the F7 before reaching swallow bay, and luckily handed the rod off to Tara the next time it went off at the mouth of Swallow because she landed this guy :)
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x292/jaydgee2002/041308_1.jpg
We coulda woulda shoulda ran laps there, but I wanted to show her the rest of the lake…
Nothing else from there to the Dam so we head back and then she hook up in Heron Bay on the little countdown
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x292/jaydgee2002/041308_4.jpg
Another two passes though Heron produced Nada so’s we headed south.
Tara hooks another on the CD near the Marina
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x292/jaydgee2002/041308_5.jpg
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x292/jaydgee2002/041308_6-1.jpg
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x292/jaydgee2002/041308_7_2.jpg

We landed a fourth in the south end and at around 2:30, probably coulda kept nailing a fish here, a fish there, but called it a day

Silly truck trout, I suppose they think those Firetiger rapalas look like lively power bait

Cali2003
04-14-2008, 05:02 PM
Good job! I went the day before and trolled a couple of different colored rapalas and did not have that much luck. Was a poor day for me. Could not start the main motor due to undercharged batteries so ran the kicker until I could start the main motor. Then trolled the main motor to charge up the batteries. Think my speed was slightly high the main motor (2.1 to 2.2 mph)...it just had to be since I only had onlyone hit.

johnbfishin
04-14-2008, 05:16 PM
We probably passed each other at some point.
I hit DV with a buddy Sun., on the water at 6:15 to troll the south end before it got crowded. We boated 4, missed several more then the bite seemed to die off so we headed north. Trolled the entire lake, two laps around Swallow Bay, two laps past the dam and thru Heron Bay. I had one really good rip in the middle of Heron Bay on.....firetiger rapala. How a fish can miss six hooks is beyond me.
At any rate, we trolled stick baits and needle fish, seemed that anything with orange got the hits.
We were off the water around 11:00.

I also talked to Woody and Reeldeal over the radio. 8-)

nunee
04-14-2008, 05:21 PM
Is the Firetiger your primary choice for F5/F7's, or do you run other ones as well?

What do you find work in the area here. It has been a LONG time since I have wet a line. Building up my tackle box. Picking lures when you are 12 and when you are 30 is VERY different! ;D

Jigster
04-14-2008, 06:37 PM
Hey guys. Got on the lake with the family on a rental about 8:00 AM and trolled F5's in Firetiger and Shad colors and a Silver and Orange Kastmaster. It was slow and already felt warm in the South end so we headed straight for Heron Bay. Saw Woody there a couple of times and no action so we headed for Swallow Bay. Got a LDR right away on the Firetiger so we doubled back and landed a 13 incher on the Firetiger. We let him go to get bigger. Off the lake by 1:30. Sounds like I should have gone deeper but we had a couple of lines with banana sinkers which had no action. Caught the fish toplining 100 ft back.

By the way, we rented a deluxe boat with one of the new motors and it trolled perfectly at 2mph on the GPS.

J

SlyDog
04-14-2008, 07:23 PM
Kokedealer-What a great post!

fshrmn
04-14-2008, 09:18 PM
firetiger, rainbows, orange, and silver work well at del valle.. u can pick these colors for the rapala up at walmart for a fair price.

Jigster
04-15-2008, 08:00 AM
I forgot to mention that when I returned my boat I noticed a picture of a guy who caught a 13 lber on nightcrawlers near the docks! :o :o :o

They're still there guys. ;)

J

kokedealer
04-15-2008, 12:26 PM
Good job! I went the day before and trolled a couple of different colored rapalas and did not have that much luck. Was a poor day for me. Could not start the main motor due to undercharged batteries so ran the kicker until I could start the main motor. Then trolled the main motor to charge up the batteries. Think my speed was slightly high the main motor (2.1 to 2.2 mph)...it just had to be since I only had onlyone hit.

Thanks Cali, we found them a bit deeper on the past couple of weekends. You’ll probably still get them on top for the first few morning hours, I didn’t get out there until after 8.
I don’t know my speed, we trolled slower than most. A bit slow for the CD-5 and F-9, and a bit fast for the J-7(hence the sling blade in front of it) I was just trying to find a happy median speed for all three offerings.
2-3 mph is actually good rapala speed.

We probably passed each other at some point.
I hit DV with a buddy Sun., on the water at 6:15 to troll the south end before it got crowded. We boated 4, missed several more then the bite seemed to die off so we headed north. Trolled the entire lake, two laps around Swallow Bay, two laps past the dam and thru Heron Bay. I had one really good rip in the middle of Heron Bay on.....firetiger rapala. How a fish can miss six hooks is beyond me.
At any rate, we trolled stick baits and needle fish, seemed that anything with orange got the hits.
We were off the water around 11:00.

I also talked to Woody and Reeldeal over the radio. 8-)

Hey JohnBfishin- your buddy is Rod right? He and I shared reports elsewhere I think. Smokercraft? Nice job out there- I didn’t see anyone do any better that morning. I don’t remember seeing your boat, but I bet we did pass by. We were in the camo’d 12’ crestliner jon, very low sides, 9.9 merc – say hey if y’all see me

Is the Firetiger your primary choice for F5/F7's, or do you run other ones as well?

What do you find work in the area here. It has been a LONG time since I have wet a line. Building up my tackle box. Picking lures when you are 12 and when you are 30 is VERY different! ;D

Firetiger and Orange are good at Del Valle and Chabot (water has a lot of color to it)

Rainbow trout and Gold/black back are my favorites in clearer waters

Kokedealer-What a great post!

Thanks SlyDog :)

johnbfishin
04-15-2008, 01:01 PM
Hey Kokedealer, yup the SmokerCraft was us. I'll keep on eye out for ya next time. 8-)

SlyDog
04-15-2008, 02:25 PM
Thanks for all the tips.I will be there tomorrow.I will report when I return.I will be in the Gregor Seahawk.The guy with the white beard.