PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Lake Almanor?

Antonio_Banderas
03-25-2008, 12:36 PM
Howdy Sniffers,

Its that time of year again, my and my mates are heading up the Sierras to go fishing in the first weekend of April. This time we are staying in Mineral so Lake Almanor is our likely destination since Lassen is still closed. I'm interested to hear if any of you having fished the lake, and where would be some good spots to set up for some shoreline angling. We are also considering renting a boat one day so if anyone can recommend a place to rent, perhaps send me a PM on that.

We might take a cruise over the Antelope and check that out as well.

Anyone has any thoughts, advice, funny stories? Looking forward to this trip 8-)

-AB

SuperDave
03-25-2008, 01:13 PM
Here is some real positive news for you:

http://www.bigdaddyfishing.com/report.htm

pararadise
03-25-2008, 04:45 PM
Get going do not delay.the trolling is really good.i have seen bank anglers scoring as well.in 1 and 1/2 days two of us caught 12 browns and 6 rainbows. all fish were caught on minnow plugs. only three fish were kept. one rainbow was 26" ,one brown was 24" .

Martinez Frank
03-25-2008, 05:55 PM
Antonio Banderas, Kid Rock, this sniffer place is getting famous ;D good luck at Almanor :D

Antonio_Banderas
03-25-2008, 11:58 PM
Nice one guys! I am jacked up for this trip. Due to access to a nice cabin it will probably be the first of many trips to the area. Someday I'd like to go out with somebody that knows more than me, because I don't know much. I just try to get me and the buddies on the water as often as I can.

Were going to try to rent a boat but I couldn't tell you a downrigger from a hole in the ground. ;)

Anybody been to Antelope? What's the scene over there?

(Btw, major score paraparadise! We land for the showdown on April 9th.)

SOUTH_BAY_FISHER
03-26-2008, 08:44 AM
Man I love this lake more than almost anyother lake in California. We use to have our summer vacations up there with the whole family. The lake is great Fishing is amazing. If you are on shore there is an inlet river on the north east side of the lake. There is a power/something turing up water on the east side of the inlet. Go up past the power thing toss out a worm under a bober and float down with the curent. One morning we took over 40 trout yeah we had that many people fishing all legal limits and still every one was catching fish it was nuts. And like that all week and year after year. I would hit that place up for good action. Other than that there is so much shore line to troll i would check with a local shop or keep askin around on here for what area to hit up. If i get bored at work i'll post a funny storie about this lake.

Ben

Mr_Ed
03-26-2008, 11:24 AM
Almanor is one of my favorite lakes 45 days after ice out.......

Those 4lb small mouth make the drive worth it!! ;)

corndog
03-26-2008, 12:44 PM
You can rent boats from Plumas Pines or Camp Prattville on the West shore. If you have a few people, get a patio boat, it's a good way to fish and drink beer at the same time and have room to move around. This is a little closer to Mineral than going around to Big Cove or Knotty Pine. Trolling is a good bet all over the lake, but right now I'd try the west shore for cruising trout, big springs, or the A-Frame. Troll a Sepp's dodger with a threaded night crawler and put a little red plastic bead right above the crawler. The best bank fishing is near the dam soaking crawlers or tossing kastmasters. Also try Hamilton Branch where it pours into the lake at the intersection of A13 and 147. Sometimes this early in the season though, the fish are spread around the lake feeding. Hamilton usually takes off when the rest of the lake warms up, but I remember catching some fatty's there in freezing temps with snow on the ground. Toss a crawler or salmon egg into the powerhouse current and keep a tight line.

Antelope probably won't be accessible yet due to gobs of snow...

Good Luck, Almanor rocks it. Mineral is cool too, but the creeks around there will be closed until April 26...

SOUTH_BAY_FISHER
03-26-2008, 01:38 PM
One of many funny stories about almanor.
Let me set this up first I'm fishing with my brother and my dad. We are fishing the power house anchored up drifting salmon eggs and roe in the powerhouse outlet. Action has been pretty good most of the week limits almost every trip if not we make limits by the end of the day trolling. So it's early morning just after sun up we arive at the inlet i'm fishing the back of the boat my little brother is up front and my dad in the midle we are anchored up so we all have goo acess to the out flow. I think i was about 12 or 13 years old at this time. So we have been fishing for about 30 min or so each of us have a few fish in the box. I hook up nice bow fat probibly 3-4lbs. Get it to the boat net it and the hook comes out i leave the fish in the net in the bottom of the boat and throw on another salmon egg, and toss the line in the water as no to get caught up in the boat. I reach down to grab the net and throw the fish in the box. Then all the sudden i get wacked in the balls by my rod, the drag is pealing i grab the rod real it in it's a 5lb bow i think i'm some kinda bass angler and lipem to the boat. Balls still hurting i finaly unhook the 5lber and throw both fish in the box now time to rest my balls and get it all back together. Mean while my dad and little brother are rolling thinking i'm some kind of freaking comedy act. WTF anyway one of the best trout days i have ever had and a memory that will last a life time.

Ben

Antonio_Banderas
03-26-2008, 02:00 PM
Gotta guard your monkeypouch! :D

Damn dude. . .

Thanks for all the great posts guys. I've got so much info now I'm getting confused :P I guess the best bet will be to go up there and peep it out. I'm most definitely going to hit up the shops out there to get the skinny and I promise a big report on the place when we get back. We've got 3 full days to fart around up there so hopefully by the end of day 1 we'll be kicking butt or at least have a plan of attack.

Dustriver
03-26-2008, 11:20 PM
2nd-3rd week of April on is really good for trout & smallmouth. *For bows & smallmouth hit the east shore of the peninsula & look for rock outcroppings(not at the point). *Also troll the mouth of Hamilton Branch. *I have always had luck early morning fishing with power eggs, powerbait & crawlers soaked in scent by the powerhouse. *I have caught Salmon, Browns & Bows in this area. *The jetties near Prattville yield both good Bows & Browns. *Also, do not overlook Butt Valley Reservoir.... *Good Luck. * 8-)

Antonio_Banderas
03-27-2008, 07:42 AM
Thanks Dustriver!

Antonio_Banderas
04-07-2008, 07:51 AM
This is the week! Thanks to the Sniffers we are armed to the teeth with info. We are dead set on renting a boat both Friday and Saturday. I've never trolled before so it will be a new and great experience. I've got a list of places to try to hit, plenty of bait and plenty of time. 8-)

Looks like Pontoon boats are out as they are getting too pricey. There's quite a variety of fishing boats out there but the trick is fitting four dudes.

Any last minute thoughts from the community? You guys got us really excited about our trip, we only get 3 big ones a year so we will make sure to post pics, a report, and a drinking story or two. From what we've heard up at Mill Creek there is 3 feet of snow on the ground and we're going to have to hoof it into our cabin with snow shovels :D