PDA

View Full Version : spinners with hair or without?

egredsox04
03-30-2008, 08:07 PM
which works better or is there no difference?

Jetspray
03-30-2008, 08:52 PM
It depends on the cloud cover, lighting, water conditions, etc. You have to change things up as the day progresses at times. Shine, color and such also affect the presentation. Looking in the Fish Sniffer help area is a good resource for the answer....Jetspray

egredsox04
03-30-2008, 09:19 PM
when would be a good time to use hair?

feelinminnesota
03-31-2008, 06:30 PM
not real proven data, but i like to change up if you get a follow, or a short strike(i call em flashes). then, i go to the featherless, to get them eyeing the body or blade. i do the same with color. there are theories about sunlight and water clarity, but i always seem to catch fish doing the exact opposite.
if you are set on spinning gear, don't forget to bring some raps with, i hardly even throw a spinner anymore ;) 8-)

BigRichClovis
03-31-2008, 06:35 PM
I like spinners without the hair. Lately I been doing well on # 3 & 4 Blue Fox spinners. I was in Oregon a few weeks back for Steelhead and we did well on these lures. When I came home I decided to hit my local spot and try the larger spinners out and had great success.

mrsockeye
03-31-2008, 06:38 PM
I personally am totally prejudice to the feathered spinners. I think a Panther Martin, and a Mepps Aglia would outfish a Roostertail for trout anyday. That said, the Roostertail is my all time favorite spinner for smallmouths, squawfish, and farm pond largemouths. I do have to admit that the feathered Panther Martin is pretty good. I just don't have much faith in feathered spinners for trout. I did have a guy catch a nice 18 inch rainbow right out from underneath me on a Roostertail. I have recently added a couple of Blue Fox feathered Vibrax's to my collection, we'll see what happens.

Mr_Ed
03-31-2008, 06:51 PM
My brother an I would have $20 dollar bets on the biggest trout on a certain river.

It would start with the 1st fish and go by the inch !!

This stream was only 18 feet across and maybe 8 feet in the deepest holes.

The best spinner was the Mepps buck tail, don't go home, with out it !!

fishwish
03-31-2008, 07:00 PM
I completely agree with Mr. Sockeye, Switch between the mepps aglia and the black and yellow panther all summer long :) ;) 8-)

panther
03-31-2008, 07:21 PM
I use Panther Martins very frequently, and I really prefer them without the bucktail. I usually release the trout. I find that I don't get more hits with the bucktail, but it is harder to release them...and the bucktail soon gets pretty "beaten up" if you are catching a lot of trout. So, I use the "undressed" Panther Martins. Panther

Captain Compassion
03-31-2008, 07:31 PM
PM is the best spinner. Mepps then Roostertail. Feathers on the tail on PMs and Mepps is better for smaller trout. I fish big Roostertails for big trout.

CC

Trout manget. 1/8 oz Yellow PM w/red tail.
http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/033108-02.jpg

Fish_R_Us
04-02-2008, 12:46 PM
I have an old Roostertail (3/8 oz, silver blade, grey finish, grey hackle) that I've always used for catching farm pond LG bass. It's about 10 years old now. It's ready to be retired because the finish is chipped and worn off at the ends, exposing the lead body underneath (which now has multiple teeth marks). The main wire (that runs down the center) is bent due to all the fish that have inhaled and munched down on it. The hair (hackle) at the treble hook has been worn away years ago.

The funny thing is it can still attract and catch fish just like it did right out of the box. Perhaps a more finicky fish like a trout won't hit it but who knows? I think I'll place it in my trout lure box and try it next time I'm trout fishing. I believe that the spinner blade action/flash is what's more important in getting the fish to attack it.

ratss427
04-02-2008, 07:18 PM
hairless.no question.i think when using very small spinners.a hair trailer only decreases any action the spinner may have.let that prop do its work.and let that tail wag.

Mr_Ed
04-03-2008, 08:07 AM
Does anyone remember way back, when the little

"Colorado " spinner was the in thing ?

http://i31.tinypic.com/hs12qc.jpg

Fish_R_Us
04-03-2008, 04:55 PM
Yes, the Colorado spinner was/is still a lethal trout lure. Do you remember the Hildebrand Flicker Spinner? It was a Colorado-type variant that a solid gold blade, no swivel, single salmon egg hook on the snap ring, and a very small mini-blade attached to the same snap ring. The main blade had nice action when retreived, but the main kicker was that the total weight was so light that the slightest up/down current would send the mini-spinner wagging like a crazed puppy's tail. That additional flash was enough to get the trout to hit it savagely. I found that lure in one of my dad's creels. I snagged the last one in a deep pool on the N. Fork Feather River up by Caribou.

ratss427
04-03-2008, 05:57 PM
Does anyone remember way back, when the little

"Colorado " spinner was the in thing ?

http://i31.tinypic.com/hs12qc.jpg
oh yeah!...you had to add a split shot above it.but,they were great!.and you don't get a simpler design! :D

tcbritton
04-04-2008, 04:52 PM
MUST RESIST THE DARK SIDE :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ for me it really depends on the day the water or just how I feel Ive never found a all the time lure just one that sometimes works out a little better then the others :)