PDA

View Full Version : Official March  Amador Thread

Pages : [1] 2

troutfan
02-29-2008, 06:02 PM
Where does the time go?

freon
02-29-2008, 06:56 PM
But it's a requirement you have to wear long pants. That pic from the other day was scarin' the neighbors

I agree, those legs scare the bejesus out of me too, but I am okay blinding everyone else, including the fish, I figure they are like deer and stop for a few seconds when blinded :D
I am still more clothed than your brother :o ;D

atavuss
02-29-2008, 07:39 PM
took a day off from work and went to Amador on Friday *(this is still Feb, but the Feb Amador posts are locked?). *got on the water around 7:30, water temp was about 50. *little to no wind. *water clarity is maybe 3'. *got no hits on assorted grubs so I switched to Rapalas, had 3 in 15 minutes around 10am, then nothing til noon when I *picked up one more. *got off the water at 3, water temp was around 55 then. *an absolutely gorgeous day on the water. *seemed like a lot of boats for a weekday. *lots of idiots out today. *I was running a long setback due to the calm water and had other trollers on top of my gear more than once, one of them cut my line with their prop and I lost a Rapala. *had several other people tell me they did not do well today. *maybe it was the long setback that got me the fish? *ended up with one 2.5lb., one 3lb. and two 4lb. *the two 4lb. fish were hard fighters! *they would make multiple runs screaming line off the reel, jumped out of the water numerous times! *gave my new rubber net a workout today, sure is nice to not have to fight with the conventional net and Rapala lures. *
almost forgot to mention that it did not help any that I had the FF on demo mode for the first few hours. I kept thinking "I don't ever remember seeing so many fish in this cove! and I don't remember it being this deep in here!" finally after putting on my bifocals I could read "demo mode" along the top of the screen. ;D
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-9/400648/P2290171(Custom).JPG

bowmasta
02-29-2008, 08:08 PM
*Nice report atavuss, my dad and I are going to give it a try 'trolling' tommorow *:-?

atavuss
02-29-2008, 08:19 PM
*Nice report atavuss, my dad and I are going to give it a try 'trolling' tommorow *:-?

thanks, and good luck out there!

n2trout
02-29-2008, 08:44 PM
Fished the lake hard today from 7 a.m till 4 p.m. I was lucky enough to land 4 total for a bag weight of 14.5 according to the scale in the store. Had 6 hits total 2 on Rapalas and 4 on pink grub/ orange power egg combo rigged on a 24" leader behind a barrel swivel with a wiggle fin set up in front of that. Weird part was I couldn't get a hit on the surface on anything besides the rapala which was probably diving to 5 feet. All fish caught on grubs were at 6 ft. OTW. :o
General concesnus seemed to be slow day for most. Did see 2 fellas with a 10 fish cooler of monsters.
Only sniffer i could raise on the radio was Yak and it sure was nice to talk and finally meet him in person. :D
I smiled a couple times for him and hopefully didn't cause his camera lens to crack. 8-)
Will post my pics later. Headed for the mattress after a great day on the water. ;D

YakMotor
02-29-2008, 08:52 PM
Hey Troutfan you're a day early! *It's a leap year.

atavuss - Nice report. I saw one of those line tangling impromptu get togethers just off green star point. NOT FUN at all especially when you lose a pricy lure. Last J-7 Rapala I bought at a tackler shop was close to $8!

Here's a short photo report for Feb. 29th.

I've heard the saying, "The family that plays together stays together." *Looks like everyone got involved in landing this chunky Ama-bow! *Kinda think they'll be back to play here again! Way to go!
http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/5374/Familylandstrout576.jpg

This is my dog of the day shot. *The reason you can't see the beautiful black lab is he's resting under the shade of the umbrella. *What a thoughtful dog lover!
http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/9105/Redboatumbrella562.jpg

Creativity with PhotoShop and n2trout's photos. *He posed with two at the cleaning station which I cutout and overlayed on a shot taken while chatting on the radio as he passed the deck of my ole S.S. Prowler.
http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/7796/n2troutboatoverlay603.jpg

Hope these two guys I met at the cleaning station will soon be active Fish Sniffer forum users so they can fill us in on how they nailed their limits. (There's more on the table.)
http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/8226/2guyswlimits623.jpg

troutfan
02-29-2008, 08:55 PM
Hey Troutfan you're a day early! It's a leap year.
So what's the big deal??? ::) ;D

RonM
02-29-2008, 09:03 PM
Hey Troutfan you're a day early! It's a leap year.
So what's the big deal??? ::) ;D

So doesn't that mean you only error once every four years.... ;D ;D ;)

thumbuster
02-29-2008, 09:05 PM
Hey Troutfan, It will be four years before you can screw up like this again ;) ;D

troutfan
02-29-2008, 09:09 PM
Hey Troutfan, It will be four years before you can screw up like this again ;) ;D
If that's the biggest screw up I make all month I'll be doing good! ;D

Trout_Terminator
03-01-2008, 12:40 PM
what up guys, going to be there on Sunday. i am taking my uncle who has a bad knee (we are bank fishing), and i was wondering what my best bet would be (he cant walk to far), so i was wondering if green star would be hard to reach because if it is, where should we set up base camp? Thanks,

-TT

vito
03-01-2008, 12:45 PM
Good to see you got out and got some fish N2. Yak's pic is a hoot.

freon
03-01-2008, 02:56 PM
Yak's pic is a hoot.

Yea it is Vito, he can work magic with that camera, sure would hate to piss him off, bet he could make some real incriminating pics in a hurry :-/
Cuhogn called me earlier while I was stuck at work and said that him and Ron were at Folsom lake having fun with the kings and bows and mentioned that he might be by later to drop your hat off Mark. If he does, I will give you a call in the am on the vhf.

TT, Hoghunter, Anna, Lisa and I will be out there tomorrow to try and enjoy the good weather and maybe catch a fish or twenty ;)
I think they are blocking the road that goes across the spillway, so he would have to hike from there. If you have a wheelchair, you can take him down the concrete ramp to the boathouse, but he would still have to walk down the hill a little, probably the best bet though, the footing isnt too bad and Kneedeep did okay out there the other day.

gotta_go_now
03-01-2008, 03:04 PM
On water at 6:30 this morning. *All my action was around the point of Rock Creek and Jackson Creek. *Two fish in the boat, 2.2 and 4.8 lbs., soft bite for me otherwise. *Both came within 10 minutes of each other right around 9 am. * ;D ;D *One up top w/white egg and Peanut Butter and Jelly Grub, and the other @ 10 feet on the wire with Pearl Grub and Chartruese egg. *

Most of the boats I spoke with had an avg. of two fish using mainly grubs, a couple on Rapalas. * Didn't hear or see any sniffers out there...Bowmasta, thought you were going to be out there...I kept asking...wanted to meet you.

I left after the 2nd boat of the day ran accross and cut my lines...happened twice * :-/ >:( *I wasn't going to re-rig yet again. * >:(

Ohter than loosing tackle it was a beautiful day on the water....tommorrow, Folsom for some Kings... 8-) ;)

bowmasta
03-01-2008, 03:19 PM
Hey gotta_go_now , I actually ended up not fishing today, had some family issues to deal with.. I may be banking it tommorow, still not sure. Glad you got a few in the box 8-)

cuhogn
03-01-2008, 03:43 PM
Freon
Ron took the hat with him and will get it to Yak next weekend, were trying to get it into as many hands as possible so we all get that special Yak photo shoot ;) ;D

Dennis
03-01-2008, 04:36 PM
Cuhogn,
Keep that hat away from Freon! *The last thing we need is a special photo shoot of those white legs! * [smiley=rotfl2.gif]

cuhogn
03-01-2008, 05:22 PM
Keep that hat away from Freon! The last thing we need is a special photo shoot of those white legs!

I hear you Dennis, but even shots with him in his MC Hammer pants ::) are scary ;D

YakMotor
03-01-2008, 05:41 PM
THANKS guys on the hat relay. *WHADDA TEAM! *I'll spread photo appreciation just so long as the hat doesn't smell like bass when I get it back.

TT - My suggestion would be the spillway. *If you get there before the crowd you can park in a circle just above the flat that leads to the water. *I didn't walk the path so can't say for sure about the footing. *Take it slow and he shoiuld be OK. *A couple lawn chairs and you can fish in comfort. *Hope the photos help visualize the distance.
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/1792/spillwaygspcomboao4.jpg

Bird diversity around Amador is amazing. *Got this guy visiting some old peck holes. *Guess bugs hole-up in 'em and he just stops by for lunch.
http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/7259/woodpecker876zb2.jpg

Trout_Terminator
03-01-2008, 08:55 PM
Thank you yak. Yea called him up and showed him the pics, and he said that he think he can make it to GSP. So our game plan is to park up there and head out there, and hopefully if bowmasta gets there in time he can reserve us a spot. oh, and ill be bringing my camera, so maybe ill be able to get a shot of you yak ;D. Thank you all so very much for helping me make this happen, it really means a lot to me.

-TT

arima_fan
03-02-2008, 12:26 AM
So many choices, so little time, any good recommendations? How much is Amador this days? and Comanche? I don't mind paying for fish plants and launching, but parking, day use?

camotracker
03-02-2008, 07:26 AM
amador is 24 with a boat for one person. and so on. not sure about comanche

hey yak, thanks for the photo's

FISHNJIM
03-02-2008, 07:41 AM
Was it windy at the lake yesterday.. ? Was trying to head out, but the wind is about 25mph where Im at.

YakMotor
03-02-2008, 11:39 AM
I'm a weather watcher and have noticed wind conditions here at Amador can be quite different from what's happening in the valley. *Example I just checked channel 3-2 weather and current Sac wind report is 28mph NNW while my wind gauge reads zero. *Beautiful day to be on the water tho the chatter on channel 69 indicates a tough bite for trollers.

At about 9am and within 5 minutes I watched a couple two pounders get caught on GSP.

RonM
03-02-2008, 04:17 PM
Tough bite it was, fished with tcbritton this morning till noon. TC had one almost to the boat in the morning but it came unbuttoned about 2ft from the net. Lots of small taps but no takers for the rest of the morning. HH3/Anna with Freon/Lisa were out with only one fish when I left at noon, I think Stryker has three. Still glad we picked Amador over Folsom today, there was hardly any wind at Amador which I don't think I can say that for Folsom.

tcbritton
03-02-2008, 04:58 PM
Great friends great weather, NO FISH ::) and for once it wasnt just me it seemed that everyone had a off day a few boats had two fish but they worked very hard for them and couldn't repeat a method for catching or finding them. I tried the bank for two hrs at the end of the day and saw one caught and thats it. It seems that the week was good but for some reason it fell apart for us this weekend . But Ill be back next Saturday... I hope to see you all out there ;)

freon
03-02-2008, 05:23 PM
It was a sad day out there today, we ended up with one in the boat, but we lost quite a few of them, we had around twenty hits, almost all very soft, but they all managed to get off. We did the best we could, by having bloody marys and awesome burritos for breakfast, a few wobbly pops, then some tuna in wasabiyaki with a couple of different pasta salads and olives stuffed with jalapeno's for lunch. Great food and company, thanks for the ride today Hog *;)
We did get to see a bunch of eagles, saw Manteca Steve and his crew, talked to TroutWagon for a bit and fished and talked with Ron and Tcbritton. Personally, I have seen Ron, Lisa, Anna and Dick catch fish, I am starting to think that bringing Tcbritton to the lake was the problem, he must be bad luck *;D
Just kidding budy *;)

Troutwagon, you driver side brake light on your trailer is out *;)

HH, you truly got very luck with Anna, those bloody marys rocked and the burritos were even better :D

Mickey_Thomas
03-02-2008, 05:31 PM
That's the worst Amador report I've ever seen Freon, well done ;)

camotracker
03-02-2008, 06:19 PM
not good at all guy's. sorry to hear the cut-bows didn't want to play. :(

freon
03-02-2008, 06:19 PM
That's the worst Amador report I've ever seen Freon, well done

Well I have posted where I was skunked at amador before, guess you were too busy looking at another board :-/ ;D
Didnt want to lie either, too many witness's ;D
I post, good or bad ,at least most are good :D

SuperDave
03-02-2008, 06:32 PM
James, on Thursday I worked my butt off to scratch out half of what you, Dennis and Rich had boated the day before and felt like I must suck. Friday, Saturday and Sunday's reports at least made me feel better about myself again. ;) Thanks for posting the tough reports.

clamkin
03-02-2008, 06:37 PM
We did the best we could, by having bloody marys and awesome burritos for breakfast, a few wobbly pops, then some tuna in wasabiyaki with a couple of different pasta salads and olives stuffed with jalapeno's for lunch.

Wow, just roughin' it on the water there, aren't you guys *;) Catching fish almost sounds like a distraction.

Mickey_Thomas
03-02-2008, 06:38 PM
That's the worst Amador report I've ever seen Freon, well done

Well I have posted where I was skunked at amador before, guess you were too busy looking at another board *:-/ *;D
Didnt want to lie either, too many witness's *;D
I post, good or bad ,at least most are good *:DDennis and Richard told me you couldn't take being teased, :o Settle down Freon, we all have bad days now and then :D It was really a tough one since you were with the master (HH3) ;D I hope he recovers ;) Oh, I do remember reading about your "skunk" didn't sound as bad as missing all those fish that you were to drunk to catch ;D ;D ;D

tcbritton
03-02-2008, 06:54 PM
It was a sad day out there today, we ended up with one in the boat, but we lost quite a few of them, we had around twenty hits, almost all very soft, but they all managed to get off. We did the best we could, by having bloody marys and awesome burritos for breakfast, a few wobbly pops, then some tuna in wasabiyaki with a couple of different pasta salads and olives stuffed with jalapeno's for lunch. Great food and company, thanks for the ride today Hog ;)
We did get to see a bunch of eagles, saw Manteca Steve and his crew, talked to TroutWagon for a bit and fished and talked with Ron and Tcbritton. Personally, I have seen Ron, Lisa, Anna and Dick catch fish, I am starting to think that bringing Tcbritton to the lake was the problem, he must be bad luck ;D
Just kidding budy ;)

Troutwagon, you driver side brake light on your trailer is out ;)

HH, you truly got very luck with Anna, those bloody marys rocked and the burritos were even better :D
First off where was my bloody mary and I want you too know that I had one till Ron beat it off the hook with his net ;).... no but for real I felt it giving out and told ron it was going to get off just as he got the net to the water

hoghunter3
03-02-2008, 07:13 PM
Weather was great, temp and water clarity was right, not too much traffic...... Guess what? Just ran out of excuses! Guess I shouldn't have made fun of Manteca Steve's Lucky Hat.....

I had a great day on the water with Anna, Freon and Lisa but the "catching" results were the worst that I can remember. I managed only 1 fish all day and it's wasn't even almost 5 pounds. (4 pounds, 6OZ) I did have a real beaut on for a while, 3 huge jumps and 2 long runs and he spit the Rap back at me. Only 2 I had on and I worked WAY down the rotations. Just never got it figured out today.

Be back out soon. I see a 30 fish day coming.

Great BBQ'ed Tuna James.... The best

Manteca Steve
03-02-2008, 07:21 PM
Hey Folks
Freon & Ron pretty much said it all tough day. Hitched a ride from some old friends. We ended catching 4 biggest today was a 4lb'er. we end up catching 2 on needle fish (Firetiger) 1 on pearl grub, 1 on powermouse. Over all good time's with old friends. ;) Good to see fellow sniffers out there. HH3,Anna, Freon, Liza, Ron, tcbritton :)

Hey Freon no question about it those legs can sure light up a dark room! 8-) ;D

Dennis
03-02-2008, 07:58 PM
Sorry to hear about the tough day. At least the food and drinks and good company made up for the lack of fish. Maybe that 30 fish day will be next.

tcbritton
03-02-2008, 08:08 PM
30, Id settle for a one fish day after today LMAO :D

Kneedeep
03-02-2008, 08:20 PM
I can feel that custom rod in my hands already. *[smiley=yahoo.gif] Freon and HH3 are off their game :-/ now's my chance to cash in [smiley=elephant.gif]. If that statement don't get a rise to the surface, I'm gonna start worrying about those boys. [smiley=violin.gif]

FISHNJIM
03-02-2008, 08:44 PM
Took the new pontoon out for the very first time.. Thanks for all the patience and help around the dock. This is gonna take some getting use to.. Didnt realize how big this dang toon is. Love it to death though.. Only put one fish in the boat. First trip up rock creek, fire tiger grub w pink egg. One split shot right on top. Soft hit, and lots of patience. Fish went about 2 1/2lb. On the lake around noon, and off about 4. Best of luck to all, may be a while before I get back to Amador.

FISHNJIM

Paddleman
03-02-2008, 08:59 PM
I was going to give it a go early in the week. Based on these dismal weekend reports may have to rethink my plans. I was sure that place was going to produce this weekend.

With the dumping of 6000 lbs a week going into that place where the heck are those fish hiding. 6000 pounds of 2 to 4 pound fish are a bunch. Just does not seem like the bite is where it should be with that many fish being put in on a weekly bases. The bite sure has been on and off lately.

One of these days I would like to watch them plant to get an idea of what 6000 lbs of cutbows looks like. Anyone have any idea how they calculate their numbers? I know folks moan when they only get a few but I would take a few of those hard fighting Ama-bows anytime over those DFG planters that you encounter elsewhere.
My fishing log indicates that they were planting fish from the tube in late February last year. With the water not yet at a level where they can do this, do you think it effects the trolling bite? Or are these fish having a case of lock jaw for some other reason causing this roller coaster bite from day to day.

YakMotor
03-02-2008, 10:57 PM
I thought it was shaping up to be a fine day for catching. *First time out this morning (about 9am) within five minutes I saw two 3 pounders caught off GSP. *This is looking up the Mountain Springs arm about 10am.
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/4531/MtnSpring10am956.jpg

They must have been post-burritos, pre-tuna, and probably bloody marying fulltime. *Looks like a relaxed crew! *
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/9517/HH3freonladies021.jpg

My GOOD LUCK Aussie bush hat IS home! *THANKS GUYS! *Ron you shudda put it ON! *Catch trout next time and my camera will be there!

After I got bored looking at limp rods and glossy white legs through the scope I put the camera on the tripod instead. *Wanted to see if I could get a shot of a hummer perched on my finger. *Took patience as they're still wary of that big thing getting in the way of their "flower." *Only once did one fold it's wings for a brief moment to sit and drink. *Kind of like a missed strike my shutter finger (on a cable release) wasn't quick enough. *But, I'm pleased with this shot.
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/8729/Humonfinger090.jpg

Having the hat did wonders for my luck at catching a couple good shots of wild birds coming to a feeder I hung in a tree near the deck. *I'd call this a sparrow, but have to dig out a bird book to properly ID it.
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/5365/Redsparrow973.jpg

This titmouse sure stands out with the intense background ... of my neighbors blue tarp covered boat.
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/2165/Titmousebluebkg981.jpg

tcbritton - I saw you on GSP and then later got my attention by making a hookset move. *After you reeled in and removed your bait I realized you were leaving. *That guy you gave the bag of pretzels caught one 5 minutes later. *Don't feel bad though. *It was the smallest trout I've ever seen at Amador. *

Ummm tho ... I should mention I saw some folks plastic bagging a NICE stringer just to the north of the point, in that sort of mini cove.
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/9673/gspstringer118yc1.jpg

Troutfan said the old Amador threads were archived in the FAQ so I thought I'd find 'em and do a little re-reading. It seems, at least to me, that we hold the good memories of the past ahead of the realities of the day. For me the image of hoghunter3 and Anna holding a brag bar MONSTER trout is still strong. THAT pic was from the season prior to my first at Amador. The good fight my best, a 6 1/4 lber, gave me last year is also still strong. That sucker towed my yak around in more than a complete circle!

When I read last year's posts I found a good number of "what's going on here" type questions and less that glowing catch reports. Don't have the answers but do have THE hat, a new reel and some other stuff I'm anxious to try ... stay tuned I will get out this week!

yonnr2000
03-02-2008, 11:30 PM
It seems that this season, the trolling bite is not as strong as last year. I have also noticed that there has not been as much surface activity these last few months. Usually there are fish jumping all over the place, but I don't recall seeing as many in my last few trips to Amador. Maybe it has to do with the big change in water level recently. There have been a few bank anglers doing really well lately and I suspect that many of the fish are either tight to the bank or just off the bank in deeper water. They probabaly aren't cruising the surface like they usually do. From reading the reports over the last few months, the Rapalas have been out fishing the grubs and the power mouse. Perhaps the fish are holding deeper than usual and the rapalas are diving deeper than the grubs. Well tomorrow I'm going to add a couple of split shots to my grub and power mouse to see if that helps. If it doesn't then I'll probably beach my boat on some point that looks good. If the trout bite isn't happening then I'll try to catch some bass.

Ronny

tcbritton
03-03-2008, 06:10 AM
I know what the problem was I didnt have my sniffer hat this weekend I left it on the welder at work friday :( :'( :'( dont worry Ill make sure I bring it this Saturday :)

freon
03-03-2008, 07:33 AM
Dennis and Richard told me you couldn't take being teased,

If I couldnt stand being teased, you would think I wouldnt fish with those two or show my white legs ;) ;D
I think rented mules get beat less :-/

Thanks for posting the tough reports.

Glad I could make your day Dave ;) ;D

tadams
03-03-2008, 08:35 AM
Went out Saturday with a friend to try our luck, and get out on some water. After reading last months reports confidence was high. We started off trolling the dam area to no success, so decided to change up and try for bass. Pulled into a cove on the westside of the lake and proceeded to drop-shot. 5 min. later hook into a nice 2-1/2#er that was very healthy and put up a great fight. After that we figured we were going to really get into them. That was the only hook-up for the rest of the day :'(. Tryed everything we had but just couldn't hook-up. I had 2 other hits that didn't stay stuck. On the bright side got plenty of practice tying knots for the up and coming season.

dpsa98
03-03-2008, 11:56 AM
I was thinking about giving amador a try for trolling tomorrow. I have a trolling motor and I also have a bucket I can drag under the boat If I can use that instead. I have NO idea of where to start for trolling. Any of your great expertise would be greatly appreciated.....I will tell you what I do have.....I havea few small flashers. I have some poles laced ith 12-15 lb test line, I have some rod holders, I have some of the wedding ring things and I have some of the small spoons and a few spinners. I do not have down riggers. Could you help a brother out and get me going in the right direction.. How fast to troll....What can I do if I don't have down riggers what are the best things to use at Amador.....Is amador the best place if I live in Lodi? How far back should I let out my line......Please Help I am going out tomorrow or Thurs......Thanks again guys.....Digger0037

Matt_G
03-03-2008, 12:04 PM
I am going to be heading up Saturday Morning the 15th. It looks as though I will be bank fishing. What types of bait are most effective up there? How long of a leader? How much weight? Are Rapalas effective from the shore? Any help you guys can give is greatly appreciated, and will be heavily rewarded with some great pics!!(hopefully)

Kneedeep
03-03-2008, 12:51 PM
Matt, 1 white and 1 chartreuse power egg on a single #6 eagle claw hook with the leader already on the hook, add another leader to make the total length 24 to 28", then your snap swivel and finally a sliding sinker on your main line. (!/8 to 1/4 oz) You only want to cast into about 10 to 12' of water at the Max. The trout are in close and they will swallow this set up, so if you want to catch and release don't use this. If you see some one catching fish check out what their doing and using, but please try to resist moving in on them until their leaving. There is a big problem at Amador with people moving right in front of you when your busy putting your fish on a stringer and rebaiting. I'm not saying you would do this, I just think it needs to be said and people need to respect others space. Good luck Matt and welcome to the boards.

RonM
03-03-2008, 01:06 PM
Digger Amador was pretty slow this weekend, until things pick up Pardee might be a better choice for tomorrow.

Dennis
03-03-2008, 03:21 PM
I think rented mules get beat less *:-/
Freon,
That's only because rented mules aren't as ornery as you are.

[smiley=rotfl2.gif]

tcbritton
03-03-2008, 03:29 PM
I think rented mules get beat less :-/
Freon,

[smiley=rotfl2.gif]

Plus you cant beat a animal it will piss allot of people off, but your fair game ;)

bowmasta
03-03-2008, 04:02 PM
Hey digger, if you really want to go to Amador tommorow.. go bank fish and you should limit out. *They are stocking tommorow, and every tuesday. *Im going to try to get out there on Wedensday, Im going to have to start going to Amador earlier... everytime I go someone has my point on GSP now. *My previous posts jynxed me *:D , good luck out there guy's.. your gonna need it *8-)

freon
03-03-2008, 06:08 PM
Freon,

Plus you cant beat a animal it will piss allot of people off, but your fair game

Mickey, I dont think I have a choice but to like it or I would be pissed all the time, especially if I throw Hoghunter in the mix, that old geezer is the worst of all :-/
Geez, and to think that I havent been anything but nice to these guys :( ;D

Digger, I would give you some advice on amador, but I dont think anyone would take my advice right now ;)
You do want to stay right on top if you are trolling though and a crawler behind blades have produced fish out of that lake.

Mickey_Thomas
03-03-2008, 06:27 PM
James is so misunderstood, he's really just a nice, sweet, old man ;D ;D You guys should treat him better, he's been unlucky lately and blames everyone but himself, I'm sure down deep he knows it's Lisa's fault :D ;D ;D She must really be an angel to put up with him this long ;)

tcbritton
03-03-2008, 06:34 PM
James is so misunderstood, he's really just a nice, sweet, old man ;D ;D You guys should treat him better, he's been unlucky lately and blames everyone but himself, I'm sure down deep he knows it's Lisa's fault :D ;D ;D She must really be an angel to put up with him this long ;)
I told you guys its all my fault I didnt have my sniffer hat I left it at work , which means no fish Ill take the blame but if you see me with it on and you,ve a caught fish its because of me too ;)

hairbear
03-03-2008, 07:22 PM
I guess I was one of the lucky ones today! ;D Caught one from the shore in the cove that leads to the boat ramp. Amabow on the barbie tonight. :P
I know most of you boaters are respectful of the bank fishermen (and fisherwomen) but that one guy that trolled by GSP about 30 feet out, what's it gonna take? A kastmaster off the head? Come on, a litttle consideration and room please. >:(

hoghunter3
03-03-2008, 08:03 PM

Sweet and nice and OLD..... Never thought I'd see those words in a sentence describing James! From Mickey no less!

freon
03-04-2008, 07:06 AM
James is so misunderstood, he's really just a nice, sweet, old man

Geez Mickey, I thought you gave up drinking ;D

She must really be an angel to put up with him this long

Yes, she is. I am just impressed that she hasnt taken a scalpel to me yet :o ;D

Sweet and nice and OLD..... Never thought I'd see those words in a sentence describing James! From Mickey no less!

Yea, me either Hog. He must know that deep down inside I am one of those really kind and generous human beings ::)
Not senile, old, ornery and mean like you and him ;) ;D

Dennis
03-04-2008, 08:27 AM
He must know that deep down inside I am one of those really kind and generous human beings
Not senile, old, ornery and mean like you and him
Freon,

He was being facetious! Ya got to be a lil fester then that. ;D

SuperDave
03-04-2008, 08:44 AM
What's it tell you about the quality of the fishing when over half the month's posts are about bashing a nice guy versus anything to do with catching fish? ::)

YakMotor
03-04-2008, 10:19 AM
For a surefire catch bring your mask, snorkle, flippers, and a pair of those grippy blue gloves Holly is givin away in the Campfire Board. * They put 'em in at 9am so you better hurry!
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/6479/troutplant322ra1.jpg

For the hour and a half while I waited for the plant I scanned the sky, the banks, and the boats. *Nobody was catchin fish. *Not even the osprey. *Tho for a few moments when he started back winging in sort of a hover and dropped his legs I thought I was about to see a dive and some fish catching action.
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/7295/ospreybif209tt8.jpg

Mickey_Thomas
03-04-2008, 11:09 AM
That's a big suprise, I expected Freon to be behind the truck with a net so he could get his limit :D After his last report that's the only way he can do it ;D ;D ;D

He was being facetious! Ya got to be a lil fester then that. He doe's remind me of "fester" a bit ;)

YakMotor
03-04-2008, 11:51 AM
Do you mean fester like a festering sore or fest-US like in "Gunsmoke?"

OH! Regarding the fish plant .... I was told the area around the ramp is CLOSED due to people out there wanting to snag them or scoop 'em up with a net! Sorrry freon. Still you might get away going for a quick skinny dip wearing your blue gloves of course. You could claim the trout nipped you and you just had to grab it for self preservation!

freon
03-04-2008, 11:51 AM
That's a big suprise, I expected Freon to be behind the truck with a net so he could get his limit

Now thats friggin funny right there, I dont care who you are *;D *;D
There is an idea whos time has come *:o *;D

Do you mean fester like a girl thingy sore or festUS like in "Gunsmoke?

I think he meant faster Yak, but he is another one of the geriatric set that is mean, ornery, blind and senile ;) ;D

YakMotor
03-04-2008, 12:07 PM
OIC ... typing with an accent!

Guess I wasn't "fest" enough on my correction as when I noticed my post ended up saying, "girly thingy" when I actually typed a word that started with a "p" and ended with a "y" which I thought spelled a word meaning oozie white stuff but the forum software "thought" otherwise and automatically changed it for me!

SuperDave
03-04-2008, 12:31 PM
Yak, just don't add those 2 words together in the same sentence. :P

Matt_G
03-04-2008, 01:18 PM
Matt, 1 white and 1 chartreuse power egg on a single #6 eagle claw hook with the leader already on the hook, add another leader to make the total length 24 to 28", then your snap swivel and finally a sliding sinker on your main line. (!/8 to 1/4 oz) You only want to cast into about 10 to 12' of water at the Max. The trout are in close and they will swallow this set up, so if you want to catch and release don't use this. If you see some one catching fish check out what their doing and using, but please try to resist moving in on them until their leaving. There is a big problem at Amador with people moving right in front of you when your busy putting your fish on a stringer and rebaiting. I'm not saying you would do this, I just think it needs to be said and people need to respect others space. *Good luck Matt and welcome to the boards.

Thanks, Ill post pics of a full stringer soon!!

Blktailhunter
03-04-2008, 02:46 PM
Hey Yak. *With lack of catching the last few days are you sure there were fish in that tank? *Maybe they were just trying to help fill the lake by adding a little more water. *;)

How much more does the lake need to fill before they can start using the stocking tubes at camp ground point?

camotracker
03-04-2008, 03:37 PM
HEY YAK, thanks for the pictures. nice day out there looks like.

FREON, man can't get no love from anyone. freon this, freon that.

thinking of heading that way this weekend. so start posting some good sign's of fish being caught trolled. i'm getting the amador itch. LOL

LEO"CAMOTRACKER"

freon
03-04-2008, 04:22 PM
FREON, man can't get no love from anyone. freon this, freon that.

Yep, red headed step children get treated better, and to think that they call themselves my friends :o ;D ;D
Leo, you know I dont deserve any sympathy, but thanks for the kind words. They are all just trying to get me back, I think I might have kidded them once or twice :-/

Yak, just don't add those 2 words together in the same sentence.

You sure got that one right Dave ;) ;D

I liked your explanation Yak, I wasnt getting it until you posted that up. ;)

Dennis
03-04-2008, 06:28 PM
I think he meant faster Yak ;D
I knew Freon would get it. *Him being a redneck! *

hoghunter3
03-04-2008, 07:42 PM
OK Super Dave, I agree, too much BS on this thread. Guess I'll have to "take one for the team" and skip work tomorrow and head out to see if I can find the fish. I'll post tomorrow night

hoghunter3
03-04-2008, 07:48 PM
[quote]he was being facetious! *Ya got to be a lil fester then that. * ;D

Dennis, I forgot....Sarcasm doesnt work on Hillbillies

tcbritton
03-04-2008, 07:54 PM
wait a minute did someone soil this great hijack with meaningless fish info :D

bowmasta
03-04-2008, 09:08 PM
Im going to be banking it tommorow with a few friends of GSP, hope for an easy limit 8-)

camotracker
03-05-2008, 05:12 AM
good luck in the morning bowmasta. catch a biggin for me ;)

LEO"CAMOTRACKER"

freon
03-05-2008, 07:40 AM

Yep, something gets lost in the translation ;D
Perhaps if you included some logic or common sense ;) ;D

I knew Freon would get it. Him being a redneck!

I just love this, one person mentioning female private parts with a graphic image of gore and the other spelling like a dyslexic second grader with A D D and they call me a redneck? :-? ;D

Good luck out there Bowmasta and HH3 :D

dave_in_el_dorado
03-05-2008, 09:03 AM
hadnt fished amador since last may.....and for us it was a really tough bite yesterday as has been reported here. *we put out grubs, spoons, crawlers, and rapalas at different times, we had several soft strikes, maybe 2 or 3 hard strikes, and only landed one fish yesterday, but it was another beautiful day on the water which is always better than workin.....the water was a tea brown color which was new to me, most of the time as i remember this lake has a nice green tint (plankton bloom).........and a better bite *:'( .

this drag strippin tank went 23-inches and ~4.5 pounds on boga....filleted, dinner for two for two nights......could have been worse....i was a bit surprised at the number of boats out there for a tuesday which made it tough to stay trolling where we wanted too, most were courteous but a couple were clueless, although i was able to get lines up and save tackle when needed.....

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i9/jdsmith2/fish/0208050-1.jpg

ifish4fun
03-05-2008, 09:29 AM
Nice fish I m thinking about going saturday. I am looking for a fishing partner if anyone is interested? Hope to hear good report from HH3.

YakMotor
03-05-2008, 10:03 AM
For you guys stuck at work eating a tuna sandwich in front of your computer HH3 says, "HI!" *9am report was three in the box.
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/7680/hh3waves355mz9.jpg

Green star point has quite a crowd today. *Think that's Bowmasta relaxing in the lawn chair.
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/1011/hh3offgsp352pb3.jpg

Dennis
03-05-2008, 04:27 PM

Yep, something gets lost in the translation *;D
Perhaps if you included some logic or common sense *;) *;D

I knew Freon would get it. *Him being a redneck!

I just love this, one person mentioning female private parts with a graphic image of gore and the other spelling like a dyslexic second grader with A D D and they call me a redneck? :-? *;D

Good luck out there Bowmasta and HH3 *:D

Are we having a bad day?

Kneedeep
03-05-2008, 05:14 PM
Ok here's my story. Banked it today [smiley=duh.gif] My Dad and I couldn't buy a bite today, even in our secret spot. [smiley=roadblock.gif] [smiley=fencing.gif] Saw one guy on the dam catch three before he was over run by company and packed up and left. We used the same bait and setup that killed them last week, when that didn't work I tried everything I could think of, except going home and getting the boat. We moved 3 times for the same results in each location. I should have known how the day was gonna turn out when the restaurant in Ione was closed this morning, and I had convinced my Dad that we could get breakfast in town before fishing. I could hear his stomach growling all morning. :-[ The sign in the window said open everyday EXCEPT wednesday. What are the odds? ::) Nice talking to Yackmotor again today. Man I could almost feel that custom rod slip between my fingers. ;D ;D ;D

bowmasta
03-05-2008, 05:18 PM
*Fished today from 7:00 am and off the water at 2pm. *Had a fun time today with my 2 friend's John (Sierra Fly Fisher) and Greg (Greg Meister). *Most people had a very tough day, saw only about 3-4 other fish caught from the bank. *Ended the day with 10 bites all day and 10 landed fish *8-) ... couldn't ask for any better. *Had some nice fish today, 2 over 5lbs. *Yak yea that was me on the lawn chair from the picture, saw HH3 out there he said he had about 5 around 12:00 ish.. not sure how long he fished, but seemed like another tough day. *Here's a few pic's *:D

My 2 over 5lb's.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q25/bowmasta01/7.jpg

My friend Greg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q25/bowmasta01/1.jpg

Me and John
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q25/bowmasta01/4.jpg

Kneedeep
03-05-2008, 06:27 PM
Good Job Bowmasta, those are some nice bows. I was on the wrong side of he lake. In the your last picture, I was fishing just to the left of your right elbow. :)

bowmasta
03-05-2008, 06:54 PM
Good Job Bowmasta, those are some nice bows. I was on the wrong side of he lake. In the your last picture, I was fishing just to the left of your right elbow. :)

Thanks Kneedeep, yea give me a holler next time your there 8-)

hunkfisher
03-05-2008, 07:32 PM
Nice bank report bowmasta nice to see someone getting into some decent fish, looks like your going to have company out there at GSP on Friday the 21st me and CC are going to be out there bright and early try and get some Amabows before the crowds get there. Can't wait only 4 more midterms to go and only 15 days 11 hours and 29 mins till me and him go but only 12 days 10 hours and 29 mins till i get a another shot!

Brad "Hunkfisher"

[smiley=swimmingfish.gif]

YakMotor
03-05-2008, 08:08 PM
Bowmasta strains lifting he and his buddies' communal stringer. *NICE CATCH guys! *(Except for the 12"er which was the only action shot I got all day.)
http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/7334/Bowmastanheavystringer496.jpg

Here's a view of a couple guy's heading into Cat Cove.
http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/8933/BoatinCatCrkarm533.jpg

I was an ambassador for the Sniffer Forum today. *Told these fellows they could find their photo tonight if they "Googled" sniffer and YakMotor. *Not sure if they believed me though. *They certainly won't believe the Canadian goose landing between them. *It wasn't there. *Just me messing around in PhotoShop so I could sneak in another bird shot.
http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/2320/Yakerswgooseovly396.jpg

Don't know if the two float tubers that worked this cove hard between the RV and campground points got any, but did notice one still there at dusk.
http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/3281/Floattuber408.jpg

Here's a couple more Sniffer recruits. *Met them at the cleaning station and showed the boat's captain this action shot hoping he'll join up (IT'S FREE) and tell us how he and his partner got their limits off the bank at, as yet, some secret location.
http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/5956/Sniferrecruitsatspeed530.jpg

Good to know there're folks around willing to provide help when needed.
http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/2842/Boattow491.jpg

No matter what some folks will have to say about a slow bite I saw a LOT of fish that were caught today. *A glimpse thru my scope at a boat below me gave a quick sight of a stringer with a largemouth on it almost as big as the big trout and a crappie almost as big as the nice sized bass. *Got a shot of HH3's stringer including the bare hook that held the "one that got away!" *(Over 5 lbs. of course.) *But, the "thunder" today goes to Bowmasta. *Just after I took this shot of hands busy filleting a guy lugged up an ice chest with tails sticking up that I'd guess held a couple limits.
http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/5401/Filletingtrout538.jpg

I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow afternoon.

camotracker
03-05-2008, 08:25 PM
sweet bowmasta. man you've got the bank thing going on. congrats.

LEO"CAMOTRACKER"

Trout_Terminator
03-05-2008, 08:55 PM
nice bow nice

freon
03-05-2008, 08:58 PM
For you guys stuck at work eating a tuna sandwich in front of your computer HH3 says, "HI!" *9am report was three in the box.

Good thing you told me that Yak, cuz looking at the pic I would have guessed that Hog was trying to join a peace rally and the guy in the front of his boat was trying to find where Hog hid his tackle box to find some lures that really worked *;)

Ended the day with 10 bites all day and 10 landed fish

Way to slay Bowmasta, great pics and report *;)

Man I could almost feel that custom rod slip between my fingers.

Seems like you had a vaseline grip today buddy, I think Bowmasta had a better grip *;)
Sorry to hear that you didnt slay today *:-/

Are we having a bad day? *

Nope Dennis, just using some common sense and logic *;) *;D
You should try that sometime, it rocks :D ;D

B-RAN
03-05-2008, 09:30 PM
nice job out there guys i got to make it out there soon :D

dave_in_el_dorado
03-05-2008, 09:32 PM
Nice fish I m thinking about going saturday. *I am looking for a fishing partner if anyone is interested? *Hope to hear good report from HH3.

thanks ifish4fun, it was a nice fish by my standards, not a 5+pounder...congrats on those bowmasta.......so out of all those boats on tuesday, i had the only report?

hope to get out there again soon and hook a few more of those hard fighting fish..

GuyBrown
03-06-2008, 08:07 AM
Wednesday, March 5, 2008. It was time to repay Bill Crooks for the Ram mount he gave me for my FF/GPS. Bill wanted an Amador fix. 7 hours, 5 miles, three bites. One hung-up/break off, two Rainbows to 4#. Water 53.4-58*, clear (2' visibility), some surface debris; air 48-68*; sky clear; wind 0-2 mph. It was a day to get on and stay on a bank and fish Power Bait. Nobody did anything trolling. At take out I de-rigged the boat, Bill cleaned the fish. Bill heard 10-15 other fishermen all say it was a hard day, all the fish caught bank/bait fishing. Another beautiful day on the water, hard day "catching". Thanks for the company (Ram mount) Bill.

dave_in_el_dorado
03-06-2008, 08:43 AM
my little brain has a hard time imagining 6000 pounds of fish for one stocking event. *that said, i have a few questions for you amador buffs.....perhaps those that have been fortunate enough to take a tour of the fish farm.....

1) regarding the stocking tonnage.....how do they determine the weight of the fish? *for example, do they have a truck scale and tare the weight of the tank filled w/ water then add the fish? *

2) what is the average weight of stocked fish? *if ~2 pounds, that would be ~3000 fish stocked per event (weekly?)

3) looking down on the hatchery i also have a hard time imagining that facility produces over 100,000 pounds of fish a season with the fish averaging 2 pounds....so how long does it take to grow a 2 pound fish at the hatchery? ....pretty incredible stuff...

hoghunter3
03-06-2008, 08:46 AM
Freon, He was looking for something that worked. We just never found it! BTW that was a peace sign, I was praying for a "double" (that never came)

Sorry but I have to follow-up with another tough report for the trollers (Yes, I'm too hard headed to pull over and still fish) I can't remember when I had back to back trip without limits.

Ended up boating 8, largest of which was just under 6 pounds (how's that GVF?) No pattern at all. Caught fish on Power Mouse, Craw colored Rap, Shap colored Rap, A Hot Shot, Side Kick trailed with a worm, Needle Fish at 7 feet, Orange Rap at 11 feet, and a Apex. How's that for a "mess"?

Never found the fish. Singles caught in main body, Cat creek, Rock creek, Jackson and Doney. Decided to use a stringer instead of the Live Well and one of the "Rummies" found that task to be a challenge. As a result ended up with 2 of the larger fish being eagle food.

Weather was great however and conditions should have been perfect. I know it will turn on soon. I'll post pictures tonight

dirty3hirties
03-06-2008, 09:12 AM
3) looking down on the hatchery i also have a hard time imagining that facility produces over 100,000 pounds of fish a season with the fish averaging 2 pounds....so how long does it take to grow a 2 pound fish at the hatchery? ....pretty incredible stuff...

Dave....if you're talking about the hatchery below the dam, that's not the one that stocks Amador. They have hatcheries that are further up in the foothills...don't know the exacts but that is what I heard from the grandson of the owner.....

YakMotor
03-06-2008, 11:17 AM
Moments ago ... a green star point TRIPLE! Two in the net and the guy's reaching for his second rod that started bobbing moments before. It too was landed!
http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/8641/gsptriple596yc5.jpg

I think there will be another hatchery tour this year during the fest. Be a good time to check it out and get your questions answered. It is an amazing "fish factory."

freon
03-06-2008, 07:21 PM
the trout that are released in amador are raised at amador, take a tour at the fest and you will see, that is from the owner.
Sorry to hear that you didnt slay Hog, but sounds like you did good by the current reports, especially since you arent banking it ;)

YakMotor
03-07-2008, 02:35 AM
The scenic sunny morning was pushed out around noon by a chilly breeze and was replaced by heavy overcast. *Although I had the batteries topped-up for the yak the lousy shooting light made me give up loading the rest of the gear to take it out. *Instead I grabbed a couple poles, the camera, a collapsible Stratolounger, my good luck Aussie bush hat, and a couple bottles of Power Bait and went to park myself at 3pm on the spillway exactly where you see these guys landing a chunky trout about 1pm. *
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/3099/Spillwaycatch672.jpg

Someone asked about the campground point plant tube and how close it is to the water. *I'd guess about five vertical feet would make it usable now that it has the added black corrugated extension.
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/9835/Planttubenboat755.jpg

I had an osprey put on quite a show for me. *It took three tries before it finally caught dinner and I was in on every one. *This is the first about halfway between the fishing dock and the north side of the lake. *Dam's in the background. *The splash is the base photo and like with the goose in a previous post I overlayed two of the bird recovering and lifting off. *Actually there are two frames I left out just after the splash with it flopping before becoming airborne again.
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/1515/Ospreysequence691.jpg

The second dive, splash, and unsuccessful attempt was near the Cat Cove mouth. *On the third dive I lost him thru camera's red dot sight in the dark background and didn't pick him up again until he lifted off with his catch. *The fellow in the foreground is on GSP.
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/9973/Ospreygotone730.jpg

Just as he gained altitude and got a grip on the trout's tail a gull swooped down and tried to steal it. *The base pic here is the gull high and osprey low. *The two overlays in the middle show the intensity of the attack. *Unfortunately the best shot is way out of focus. *In the original it clearly shows the gull with beak open either scolding or trying to for a grab. *The encounter went on for maybe 30 seconds and I got many other interesting, but less telling frames.
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/9122/Ospreygullcombo712.jpg

After three tries no way was he going to give it up!
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/6874/Ospreywtrout735.jpg

I did have a few free minutes to put my feet up and relax in the chair, but the book I'd also brought was never opened. *Watching and photographing birds and speeding boats kept me busy as did recasting the power bait I had dropping down from a casting bobber. *A big blob of power bait on my second rod stayed on the bottom as far out as I could cast without weight. *Maybe 30'.

There were two Canadian Geese on the point with me. *Not tame or begging, but not afraid of me being close. *As I shot pics of them I turned around to discover two mallard drakes and a hen raiding my stuff searching for easy pickins. *Got some neat shots of them when a battle for territory broke out as another small group of mallards tried to move in. *I also watched a half dozen mergansers out in the lake searching for minnows, Then only had time to blink as a flight of then zipped by like a volley of air to air missiles. *Not enough time to even lift my lens!
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/1103/Gooseflaps840.jpg

Well, that doggone Aussie hat still isn't worth two dead flies for catching fish! *I didn't even get a bite! *Does seem to do wonders though for photo ops. *A nice sunset was like icing on the cake.
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/5853/Sunsetfromdam894.jpg

Oh, guess I should mention that three boats on trailers were parked by the cleaning station as I passed on the way to the spillway and a bunch of guys were busy working on their catch.

tcbritton
03-07-2008, 05:36 AM
As always a great group of photos I was thinking of heading to pardee this weekend so Ill hopefully see you the following weekend... just make sure I get a photo with a fish ;)

freon
03-07-2008, 07:39 AM
Yak, if you could put a scope on as many deer as you have put a lens on birds, or as many fish on a rod, your freezer would always be full ;)
Thanks again for all the info and great pics :D
You are deadly with the lens :)

dirty3hirties
03-07-2008, 10:28 AM
the trout that are released in amador are raised at amador, take a tour at the fest and you will see, that is from the owner.

I'm gonna have to take a better look at that hatchery then....might be better to try fishing it! ;) They must have other pens besides the one you see on the drive down the dam.

YakMotor
03-07-2008, 11:24 AM
Thanks freon! *One grenade here would fill a couple freezers. *(My old location)
http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/323/deerherdonhill475wde4.jpg

Here's a Google Earth view of the hatchery.
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/2761/hatcherygeimagejo2.jpg

dave_in_el_dorado
03-07-2008, 11:34 AM
silly me, i was looking at the "facility" south of that on the other side of road....yak, thank you, that explains things better for me...i would love a tour. i raise sunfish in my pond and am always excited to see how commercial guys farm fish, gives me ideas...

and yak, btw, i too love yer pics. when fishing last tuesday i enjoyed viewing several flyovers by the bald eagle and an osprey nailing a big bluegill or crappie about 100 feet behind our boat (i couldnt quite tell at the distance but it wasnt a trout).

dave

hunkfisher
03-07-2008, 11:48 AM
You all keep inflaming that amador itch i got, only 10 days but man oh man i cant wait to get out there. Nice photos yak always love your reports.

Brad "Hunkfisher"

freon
03-07-2008, 11:56 AM
There are actually two hatcheries, one on each side of the road, the one on the right side of the road is for hatchlings and smaller trout, if you look up the hill on the right before making the first left, you will see the pens, they are not the dried out pens at the bottom of the dam. ;)

hunkfisher
03-07-2008, 11:59 AM
Freon is correct there are two hatcheries and they both fill the 200000+ pounds of fish that go into the lake each year, one is started earlier than the other to provide fish through out the year, much like planting fields of corn start with one fill the rest in as the year goes by so you have a steady supply all year(college is teaching me a thing or two ;D)

Brad "Hunkfisher"

Manteca Steve
03-07-2008, 04:02 PM
Hey Yak
Thanks for the pictures, always great to see.

Who's going out tomorrow? I'm going with the Mrs I want to see if I can out fish her! She been kicking my butt lately! :D ;)

bowmasta
03-07-2008, 04:15 PM
I will be trolling tommorow with my dad Steve, haven't seen ya out there in awhile.. hope we nail em 8-)

-Steve

freon
03-07-2008, 10:05 PM
Who's going out tomorrow? I'm going with the Mrs I want to see if I can out fish her! She been kicking my butt lately!

Good luck out there tomorrow Steve, I have to work, but possibly sunday ;)

I will be trolling tommorow with my dad Steve, haven't seen ya out there in awhile.. hope we nail em

Yea, me too( hope we nail them), please post as soon as you can Bowmasta, *I might be headed out there on sunday ;) *;D

fill the 200000+ pounds of fish that go into the lake each year, one is started earlier than the other to provide fish through out the year, much like planting fields of corn start with one fill the rest in as the year goes by so you have a steady supply all year(college is teaching me a thing or two *

Gee Brad, is that anything like the first glass of beer out of the keg is much *better than the last one *;) *;D
Profound statements from an undergraduate *:D
Sounds like you learn quick *;)
Looking forward to saying hi, how long is your easter break for?

fish_4_alivin
03-07-2008, 10:09 PM
Sorry Dave for the late report! I also fished on Tues and ended up with 6 trout and hooked 7 bass all 3lbs plus and only landed 3. We didn't catch our first trout until after 1:00pm. All trout were caught trolling and the bass were caught casting ahead while we were trolling. My biggest trout went 5.5lbs. I trolled with the electric trolling motor till 1:00 and then used the gas motor and started catching fish. Unusal for this lake!

freon
03-07-2008, 10:21 PM
[quote][I trolled with the electric trolling motor till 1:00 and then used the gas motor and started catching fish. Unusal for this lake! /quote]

Hey F4A, what worked to get the trout?

hoghunter3
03-08-2008, 07:25 AM
I promised to post pistures from Wednesday. Finally getting around to it.

One of my Buds with his 1st Amador "hog"

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj269/1nettell/IMG_1498.jpg

Here's another I caught on a needlefish no less

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj269/1nettell/IMG_1504.jpg

Another nice one. 6 plus pounds

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj269/1nettell/IMG_1512.jpg

The "catch" of the day. Just love the name

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj269/1nettell/IMG_1503.jpg

Blktailhunter
03-08-2008, 10:13 AM
You gotta love the names Big Sky Brewing company gives their beer. My personal favorite is called Moose Drool. :)

hunkfisher
03-08-2008, 10:28 AM
fill the 200000+ pounds of fish that go into the lake each year, one is started earlier than the other to provide fish through out the year, much like planting fields of corn start with one fill the rest in as the year goes by so you have a steady supply all year(college is teaching me a thing or two *

Gee Brad, is that anything like the first glass of beer out of the keg is much *better than the last one *;) *;D
Profound statements from an undergraduate *:D
Sounds like you learn quick *;)
Looking forward to saying hi, how long is your easter break for?

Freon any cup outta the keg taste good, better when its free ;D, Ill be home from the 14th till the 23rd plan on fishing Pardee on Sunday or Monday and Amador on Tuesday and Friday of that week, the latter hopefully with CC! Hope to see you out there bud.

Brad "Hunkfisher"

Kid_Gambit
03-08-2008, 04:02 PM
Yo Hunkfisher and Freon,
FYI: the fish farm directly below the dam does grow trout but does not plant them in Amador. He plants them around the valley in winter and some private waters as well. I know him and work at another fish farm in the valley. We grow Wht. Sturgeon. Anyway, the farm on the Google map pic is called "Fan Bastic" and is owned by the same guy as the lake. He has some other growout tanks on the top of the hill on the south side of the dam. Behind the parking lot I think. The main facility is pretty cool if you are into fish farming and system design, take a tour if you get the chance!
On another note, I'm heading up there tomorrow! Hopefully we'll hook up!! 8-) I haven't been posting much, but always enjoy the threads! I'll try and report back..........KG

Manteca Steve
03-08-2008, 05:15 PM
Hey folks,
The Mrs and I went out on the water today at 7am. *Out of the water by 1:30pm. *Ton of boats today, haven't seen that many in a long time. * Got skunked today :-[, haven't had that happen in awhile! *Wife had two hits and I lost a 2 lbr. *@$$-#*!% *>:( crossed over and took all 4 lines, 35' out in back of me, couldn't believe it *:-?. *Pretty much my day. *Saw I like to fish, Blue fin and bowMASTA, nice to see some sniffers out there. * Will have to get them next time.

bowmasta
03-08-2008, 05:55 PM
Made it out today with the Pap, thought we try some trolling today.. but wow it was a tough bite. *Ended the day with 9 fish and 5 were from trolling and 4 from baiting. *Suprisngly.. I caught all my trolling fish from a Shad Firetiger Rap ( deep runner ) . *Fish were schooled up in back of Mt. Spring's and Rock Creek. *Saw fish4fun out and he ended with 7 from the pearl, but I didn't even get a hit on the pearl *:-? *.. Here's a pic *8-)

Nothing big today, all fish ranged 3-5 lbs

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q25/bowmasta01/Picture003512x384.jpg

freon
03-08-2008, 06:03 PM
Freon any cup outta the keg taste good, better when its free , Ill be home from the 14th till the 23rd plan on fishing Pardee on Sunday or Monday and Amador on Tuesday and Friday of that week, the latter hopefully with CC! Hope to see you out there bud.

Cool, I dont know if I can get a day off there or not, but I will try. Good luck either way. Gonna give it a shot tomorrow with HellsAngler, I will see how it goes, seems like the fish are still in a funk :-/

I'm heading up there tomorrow! Hopefully we'll hook up

Kid, that must be a blast to work with the white sturgeon. I will have my radio on 69. You on the bank or in a boat?

Steve, thanks for posting up, sorry to hear about the skunk, common theme right now. One of us needs to figure out what they will hit on and where they are. Hopefully I will hear of some better posts out of the others ;)

hunkfisher
03-08-2008, 07:33 PM
Yo Hunkfisher and Freon,
FYI: the fish farm directly below the dam does grow trout but does not plant them in Amador. He plants them around the valley in winter and some private waters as well. I know him and work at another fish farm in the valley. We grow Wht. Sturgeon. Anyway, the farm on the Google map pic is called "Fan Bastic" and is owned by the same guy as the lake. He has some other growout tanks on the top of the hill on the south side of the dam. Behind the parking lot I think. The main facility is pretty cool if you are into fish farming and system design, take a tour if you get the chance!
On another note, I'm heading up there tomorrow! Hopefully we'll hook up!! 8-) I haven't been posting much, but always enjoy the threads! I'll try and report back..........KG
Wow thanks Kid love learing new stuff, i always thought both were for the lake and that the main hatchery was the one furthest from the dam, where we got the tour of, but hey thanks for the heads up. Good luck out there cant wait only 9 days 11 hours and 27 mins

Brad "Hunkfisher"

tdrobison
03-09-2008, 09:15 AM
Fished Saturday with IFish4Fun. On the water about 6:45, and had our first fish on about 45 minutes later in Jackson Creek, which turned out to be the biggest of the day at 5.6 lbs. It got tough after that. We picked up a couple more in the next 2 hours in different places, and then it died.

We finally found some feeding off a point Jackson Creek around 2:00, and we were getting hit on every pass, but only in one direction. Since there was no one else around we trolled in that direction, reeled 'em in, and circled around again, picking up 4 more, and a couple LDRs, for a total of 7.

Pearl grub with chart egg was the ticket. Got 1 on a Yoziri Pin's Minnow, and 1 on a FireTiger Rapala, which just got absolutely nailed! and started stripping line off IFish4Fun's reel from the get-go, and made a couple of good runs at the boat.

All the fish, were fighting, and aerobatic. One nearly jumped over the transom into boat. *I think IFish4Fun has pictures that he is going to post.

Great fun! Had a blast, thanks for the ride IFish4Fun.

--BlueFin

ifish4fun
03-09-2008, 10:31 AM
Terry it was a pleasure to have you along for the ride. *Bluefin said it all we ended with 7 fish but boy they were fighters like the old days. *Here are the pictures.

Terry with 5.6 lb trout
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/2766/cimg0985zl9.th.jpg (http://img232.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cimg0985zl9.jpg)

Here are the pics of the big fish
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/4461/cimg0987wa2.th.jpg (http://img232.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cimg0987wa2.jpg)

Here are all 7 fish for the day.
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/9686/cimg0986wd5.th.jpg (http://img232.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cimg0986wd5.jpg)

stonesfan
03-09-2008, 12:50 PM
Did someone say there's a CUSTOM made TROLLING ROD up for

grabs? Well, where do I sign up and who do I see.................

stonesfan [smiley=rollingstones.gif]

camotracker
03-09-2008, 04:23 PM
Pearl grub with chart egg was the ticket.
--BlueFin
[/quote]

wow, the main set up is the hot goto bait. should've have gone here instead of folsom. oh well, next time. great reports eveyone. glad to see some people catchng fish out there ;)

LEO"CAMOTRACKER"

bowmasta
03-09-2008, 09:01 PM
wow, the main set up is the hot goto bait. should've have gone here instead of folsom. oh well, next time. great reports eveyone. glad to see some people catchng fish out there ;)

LEO"CAMOTRACKER"

You do any good at Folsom Camo? .. hope to see ya out next weekend *8-) *... I should be bank fishing next wedensday, *I will be with my 2 friend's again ( Greg and John )

camotracker
03-10-2008, 03:56 AM

LEO"CAMOTRACKER"

You do any good at Folsom Camo? .. hope to see ya out next weekend *8-) *... I should be bank fishing next wedensday, *I will be with my 2 friend's again ( Greg and John ) *

did pretty good at folsom. the kings are different. not sure you'll see me there this weekend. my boat is a little sick right now somethings wrong with the gps antena. we'll se though. not used to seeing you bank fishing bowmasta.

see you all soon

LEO"CAMOTRACKER"

freon
03-10-2008, 06:09 AM
I fished sunday with HellsAngler, he got four, I got skunked :-/
One hit all day for me and it was on a trophy stick. His all came on a white and green grub set up. Did see one boat that did good, all of theirs came on rapala type lures. One boat with four guys and they had what looked to be ten fish. Still very slow :-/

Dennis
03-10-2008, 07:51 AM
I fished sunday with HellsAngler, he got four, I got skunked *:-/
One hit all day for me *and it was on a trophy stick. His all came on a white and green grub set up. Did see one boat that did good, all of theirs came on rapala type lures. One boat with four guys and they had what looked to be ten fish. Still very slow *:-/
No Way! Freon didn't get the black and white kittey again! Karma has seemed to pick him out of the line up. Better luck next time. Maybe you'll get two stick fish. [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif]

SuperDave
03-10-2008, 09:15 AM
Between FishinMike and Kokemachine's reports from Camanche the past few weekends, it seems that Camanche is outfishing Amador this year. Has anyone heard anything from Amador mgmt about what's different this year?

ifish4fun
03-10-2008, 09:28 AM
Freon

Sorry to hear you got skunked but you were playing the good guide and let your partner catch the fish. At least that is my excuse when it happens to me. ;D

freon
03-10-2008, 11:17 AM
but you were playing the good guide and let your partner catch the fish.

Thats not much consolation and you know I was doing everything I could to produce. I actually spent a bunch of time trying different things to see if I could get a rise out of the fish. Perhaps god is not allowing me to have too much luck right now, but when I am out there with my grandsons and when the fests come, I will get to slay them ;)

freon
03-10-2008, 11:24 AM
the fish just arent bitting at amador this year, not sure what the problem is, but personally, I have tried everything under the sun to get back to twenty or thirty fish days. Of course, one amador trout is worth five comanche trout, except for the pig that Robbie got. Any day now, amador will be off the hook and I will try it again on friday, try comanche and let us know how its doing out there :D
Maybe I will go there instead ;)

YakMotor
03-10-2008, 03:55 PM
Not sure where this Sunday shore crowd came from, but I'd guess either boat or access through the gate locked road running north of the lake. *With a bunch of youngsters I think it would have been too far to walk from the spillway parking. *Green star point is in the foreground.
http://img354.imageshack.us/img354/3752/BeyondGSPcrowd107.jpg

My view showed boating active but, not near as cramped as this magnetic moment, where everyone seems sorta drawn together, shows.
http://img354.imageshack.us/img354/7476/Fiveboats122.jpg

GSP had plenty of elbow room at 9am when this and the shots above were taken.
http://img354.imageshack.us/img354/2479/GSP116.jpg

By 2pm folks are kicking back soaking up the sun. *Except for Stryker. *He's still trying to get fish catching figured out as he passes the spillway point.
http://img354.imageshack.us/img354/8576/Strykerpassesspilway137.jpg

Stryker heading home with style. *LOVE that S-turn!
http://img354.imageshack.us/img354/1483/StrykerSturn02207.jpg

I was out pulling weeds Sunday afternoon so didn't spend much time watching the water. *I saw one boat with trout on a stringer, but no action from the few bank anglers left late afternoon. *We need to get Bob the hatchery honcho to give these fish some grub biting lessons before he puts 'em in!

Anyone want to see more of the osprey action I caught a few days ago?

03-10-2008, 04:31 PM
Ya everyone digs your pics.

troutfan
03-10-2008, 04:34 PM
Ya everyone digs your pics.
Try to mix it in with some trout fishing information. ;)

hoghunter3
03-10-2008, 08:21 PM
[/quote]
No Way! *Freon didn't get the black and white kittey again! *Karma has seemed to pick him out of the line up. *Better luck next time. *Maybe you'll get two stick fish. * [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif]

[/quote]

James, Dennis is having way too much fun. I think it's time for a Freon / Dennis fish-off. 1st day at the Fest?

freon
03-11-2008, 06:42 AM
James, Dennis is having way too much fun. I think it's time for a Freon / Dennis fish-off. 1st day at the Fest?

I dont think I want to take on the amador assasin, hes much too tough for me to beat ;) ;D ;D
Since you and I and the ladies are fishing together, I cant do that. If I was fishing alone out there, I believe the assasin might be in a bit of trouble ;)
Perhaps we can leave the ladies at the camp one morning and the three of us go out and see if you two can donate to my delinquencies ;) ;D

hunkfisher
03-11-2008, 03:33 PM
Well weather looks great fishing looks like its improving and just in time only 6 days 15 hours 28 mins till I am there [smiley=excited.gif] [smiley=excited.gif] [smiley=excited.gif] [smiley=excited.gif]
Good luck to all those who brave it out there this weekend I think I am going to give Pardee a try on Sunday.

Brad "Hunkfisher"

kokemachine83
03-11-2008, 04:01 PM
Super Dave and freon, It has been a good bite up at Camanche. Just have to move around a little. The early bite has been some Rapala's and the later bite has been Grubs. I know that Amador will produce a bigger over all size average, But you just never know at Camanche how big that Rainbow will be. Heck i might even try Amador this weekend if things pick up. Good luck to all and hope to see some sniffers on the water!!!

Robbie (Koke Machine)...

freon
03-11-2008, 06:43 PM
Robbie, thanks for the updates ;)
Lisa and I will be at amador on friday, not sure what we are doing on saturday and sunday yet, probably how we do on friday will help us decide ;)
Hope to talk with you either way, I can usually talk to sniffers at pardee or comanche from amador. If I fish sunday, I will be hard pressed to not hit melones to try for some browns.

fish_4_alivin
03-11-2008, 08:58 PM
Buddy is going tommorrow and I will post his results!

YakMotor
03-12-2008, 05:28 AM
No! *It's not a cheap trick to sneak another bird photo into the forum, but actually a fish spotting male merganser cruising near shore working to provide you with a report on water clarity and answer THE question, *"Where the heck are all the trout?" *Unfortunately shortly after this shot was taken he dove and surfaced 50' or 60' farther down the shoreline. *I yelled to see if he'd seen any, but either didn't hear or just ignored me. *Oh well, what can you do? *I'm having better luck getting hummingbirds to land on my finger at the feeder. *

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/2095/Merganserwaterclarity338.jpg

Looks like both sides of the second dock are now available for trailer launching. *Note though two barrels blocking one side of the dock closest to the bank fishers. *They are there for good reason as the concrete ramp is very narrow on that side and when I was down there a few days ago I saw the outside wheel of a good sized trailer drop off the edge as it was backed down to remove a boat. *Water level is still coming up, but very slowly. *I suspect unless we get another good dose of rain this will be about as high as it's going to get. *We need a new reality show. *Something like, "Rain Dancing for The Ama-bows."

2nd hand scoop! ... Got the word from a neighbor who spoke to someone who told him the trout plant did not happen Tuesday morning as usual, but would on Wednesday. *Bet those folks fishing just beyond the "NO FISHING" signs were disappointed!
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/246/Rampndocks300.jpg
Tired of the same old shots of the spillway and GSP? *This bank access is not far from the spillway, but a little closer to the dam.
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/4592/Farbankn2boats315.jpg
These folks are not on the flat, almost level, spillway point, but next to it just below the parking circle.
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/8012/Nearspillway308.jpg
Here's a couple shots from last year's fest tour of the hatchery. *
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/9117/Hatcherytour682.jpg

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/1046/Hatcherytour686.jpg

I recently saw a PBS TV show on "Raptors." *Hawks, owls, falcons, eagles, etc. **The guys attached a tiny video camera and transmitter to the back of a peregrine falcon and recorded a bird's eye view of it's speed dive and midair attack of a pigeon. *COOL! *So .... if one of these bald eagles spotted Tuesday could be setup as a aerial scout maybe we could find those elusive Ama-bows!
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/2513/Baldeaglesscout378.jpg

tcbritton
03-12-2008, 02:03 PM
Im heading out to see if I can shut down amador this weekend just warning you guys everyone knows Ive had a bad skunk on me lately so bad any boat on the same wateras me are effected, but for a small donation I may go somewhere else ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) :'(

freon
03-12-2008, 06:07 PM
Im heading out to see if I can shut down amador this weekend just warning you guys everyone knows Ive had a bad skunk on me lately so bad any boat on the same wateras me are effected, but for a small donation I may go somewhere else

Ditto ;D

Big Ken
03-12-2008, 06:25 PM
Man.. 3 days without a report. Well maybe someone needs to do something about that ;)

Come on people lets go fishin'

fishnphool

hunkfisher
03-12-2008, 07:53 PM
Yeah no reports keep us vicarious fishermen going ;D, man oh man only 5 days 11 hours and 9 mins. Getting rain up here in Arcata wonder if any will swing by amador and give it a few extra feet to fill her up.
Yak- I envy you and that great weather and location you have, great jobs on the pics as always.
Freon-Please get some fish, or do I have to come down and show you hows its done ;)

Brad "Hunkfisher"

BIG_ONE
03-13-2008, 12:00 AM
What would be the best set up from the bank or dock?

And what would be the best bait? and lures?

;) :D ;D

YakMotor
03-13-2008, 12:10 AM
First a brief afternoon trout report. *Realize though by the time I'm up and roaming with my camera most serious early morning anglers have left or are hidden in distant coves. *My view of the lake is limited. *But, Bowmasta can't hide at his favorite bank spot! *He's got one hooked. *I'll let him provide details. I also saw a couple boats with trout on their stringers.
http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/8890/Bowmastalandsone480.jpg

I found a group of very colorful western blue birds feeding on the rocky shore of the RV Park point at the exit of the launch cove. *Inset is a juvenile female very drab compared to the adult male. *
http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/480/Bluebirdsoverlay682.jpg

Here's combined five images my camera fires in a burst mode series. *I moved the initial impact splash to the left to allow for positioning the others which show the empty claw recovery. *This was the second unsuccessful dive I captured from the spillway the afternoon of 3/6.
http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/1445/Ospreytry2.jpg

I missed the splash of the third dive, but caught the action of a gull attempting to take the trout away. *This is the best close shot as the osprey carried the catch to a tree to feed. *The exposure for the shadow side of the bird is good, but the overcast sky got washed out. *Tried to enhance it during editing, but making it blue didn't look right so you get it as is. *
http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/531/OspreytroutCU743.jpg

So ... if you catch one like this figure it was an osprey or eagle SDR! *I was surprised the fight this one had. *Didn't know it was injured until I got it on the stringer. Shot 2/10/06
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/9700/clawedtrout170aq7.jpg

freon
03-13-2008, 06:18 AM
Freon-Please get some fish, or do I have to come down and show you hows its done

Lisa and I will give it a go tomorrow in the rain Brad and if that doesnt work, we will be bringing the dynamite ;)
Hope to see you out here. if your plans change, let me know, might have room in the boat :)

FishyMe
03-13-2008, 07:42 AM
Fished 03/12/08 from 8-5. Tried the docks, and next two dams on both ends with no bites. Did not see anyone catching except fly fisherman. But I did not get skunked. :) I caught about 5 bass. 3 keepers. all around 2-3 lbs. that kept me going throughout the day.

Docks is not producing. they did not plant yesterday.

good luck

SuperDave
03-13-2008, 08:15 AM
Clouds versus sun, does Amador act like a typical lake as far as fish looking for bright colors in sun and dark colors in overcast? Since white is the everyday color of choice, I wondered if switching to dark colors on these cloudy days is warranted. What have you regulars noticed?

hunkfisher
03-13-2008, 09:05 AM
Freon-Please get some fish, or do I have to come down and show you hows its done

Lisa and I will give it a go tomorrow in the rain Brad and if that doesnt work, we will be bringing the dynamite *;)
Hope to see you out here. if your plans change, let me know, might have room in the boat *:)

Du Pont Spinners my favorite ;D ;D, will do good luck out there.

Brad "Hunkfisher"

YakMotor
03-13-2008, 09:13 AM
Kinda drizzley overcast right now. No measurable rain yet. Was just out on the deck and observed thru the scope some boaters parked on a distant bank holding up (for a photo) a stringer of three nice sized Ama-bows. Maybe some rain will turn 'em on!

bowmasta
03-13-2008, 10:35 AM
Had a rough day out there on Wedensday, thought they had stocked on tuesday. *Turns out their stocking today, because one of the trucks broke down.. what bob said. *Ended up only getting 5 bites and landing 4 fish yesterday. *Nothing big everything 2 1/2 - 4 lbs. *I did see one MONSTER caught though, saw a bank fisherman land about 2 trout all day, but he did snatch a 7 lb 12 oz *:o . *The plan is either bank it tommorow (Friday) or just wait for the weekend *8-)

freon
03-13-2008, 11:15 AM
Yak, fishnphool is out there today, holler at him on the radio and give us a blow by blow ;)
Lisa and I should be out there tomorrow if the weather doesnt get too bad :D

Sounds like you did okay there Bowmasta, but I bet you would have loved that seven pounder, glad to see that they are finally getting bigger.

hoghunter3
03-13-2008, 11:45 AM
You don't get into them tomorrow James, I'm going to Church to light a candle for you!

jvle95
03-13-2008, 11:48 AM
Hey everyone! I am a little off topic here but I plan to take a short trip to Amador sometime real soon for 2 or 3 nights and was wondering what their full service hook up rv sites are like. The website doesnt really give a good idea of how close to the water they are (could I leave boat in water near site) and if they are shady or in the open. Just kind of looking for a review on the rv sites. Thanks .

FishNRookie
03-13-2008, 12:05 PM
jvle95 - I haven't been out there in about a month but from my experience the distance from the RV sites down to the water is probably about 100-150 feet or so? The water has come up quite a bit since January but it was still down a good 20-30 feet which can put quite a bit of distance between the sites and the shore. Usually you can throw a rock from your RV into the water. Also depends on which site you get too.

Looking forward to some more reports guys. My cousin is taking his 6 yr old son out for his first Amador trip on Sunday. I'd like to be able to pass on some good info over to them so they can get a few from the bank. I'd like to direct them over to GSP but I think that's too far of a walk for the little guy, especially with the rough terrain. I was thinking maybe the point just beyond the spillway? If any of you regulars know of a hot spot from the bank recently that'll get them into some fish, I would greatly appreciate it. Not sure how I can reward you for the info but I think it would be great to see the boy with a smile on his face after catching his first Amabow. He just caught his first fish last weekend, a 1.5 lb smallie at Folsom!

freon
03-13-2008, 12:20 PM
You don't get into them tomorrow James, I'm going to Church to light a candle for you!

I wouldnt do that Hog, either you or I will get struck by lightning for that ;D ;D

tcbritton
03-13-2008, 01:35 PM
Hey yak keep the bird photos coming we have to have something to look at since the fish aren't playing out there :-?

mark33
03-13-2008, 01:38 PM
Had a rough day out there on Wedensday, thought they had stocked on tuesday. *Turns out their stocking today, because one of the trucks broke down.. what bob said. *Ended up only getting 5 bites and landing 4 fish yesterday. *Nothing big everything 2 1/2 - 4 lbs. *I did see one MONSTER caught though, saw a bank fisherman land about 2 trout all day, but he did snatch a 7 lb 12 oz *:o . *The plan is either bank it tommorow (Friday) or just wait for the weekend *8-)

Hey Bowmasta. What do you catch the fish on? We were there last Saturday. I had two fish on but they came unbottoned. I was using white power eggs. My son caught one on white power eggs, and my nephew caught one by catching someones braided line.

There was an older gentleman out there that caught three that were all about 4-6 lbs. He caught them on a powermouse off the bottom.

We were only casting out 20-30 feet from shore. Our leaders were 2-3 feet long. We were using the clear casting bubbles and were facing the spillway. Just wanted to see if you were using anything different. Also, how often do they come around and bite?

Thanks,
Mark

YakMotor
03-13-2008, 01:39 PM
jvle95 - Check your PM's

freon - Maybe too late? I put out a call, but got no response. What's he "driving?"

FishNRookie - The walk to GSP shouldn't be a problem for a 6 year old. There is a trail and it's pretty flat. GSP is the point east and north of the spillway. Some of my posted photos show the distance. My observation has shown me more trout are caught on GSP, but they can also be had at the easy access spillway too. I think it's more of being there when a school cruises by or they are in the mood to bite.

RonM
03-13-2008, 01:42 PM
freon - Maybe too late? I put out a call, but got no response. What's he "driving?"

Burgundy color Chevy 4x4 Truck... 22ft Rogue Marine Jet

YakMotor
03-13-2008, 03:43 PM
Hummm ... didn't see the boat, but I did hear a brief radio call for me. *I called back at low power and got nothing then at high and also nothing. *Beats me!

Just came in from chatting with a neighbor and had noticed an osprey on the prowl. *Going back out for it and any interesting TROUT related activities!

Here it is! *HOT off the water report. *Moments ago ... they "said" it's 6 pounds PLUS! *
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/6589/fishinfools6lber768rr5.jpg

I lucked out getting this shot as I when I arrived at the lake overlook I found the camera's red LOW BATTERY light blinking. *Still a little light left so I'm headed back out.

RonM
03-13-2008, 04:20 PM
LOL....Yak that's Fishnphool, he's the one on the far right....

freon
03-13-2008, 04:46 PM
they "said" it's 6 pounds PLUS!

From the pic, I cant tell if its Richard or not, but at the very least, they used his scale ;) ;D

Good job on the report Yak, you rock ;)

Garden_Valley_Fish
03-13-2008, 06:57 PM
Nope not my scale it was Kens and that fish weighed in at 6.5 and was a real scrapper at least 4 full jumps and five or six good runs.It was my only fish today but well worth it.(One more than my bud Freon)

Great day for fishing and we missed way to many (KEN) but I wont mention any names ;D ;D ;D
We did get 4 to the net

trackertundra
03-13-2008, 08:42 PM
Sounds like things are picking up a little. Good news ;D

Tracker

Big Ken
03-13-2008, 09:24 PM
It was a good day out there. We should have had a least 9 fish(RICH) in the boat today(RICH) but some one kept(RICH) losing fish(RICH).

Can you guess how many fish (RICH) LDR'd *today? ;) & that isnt counting just the hits he missed. *;) ;D

I did have one get wrapped around a tree & get off. It wouldnt of happend if it wasnt for the FLR ;D ;D

We ended up with 4. The hot ticket today was a irrodesant(sp?) grub with red tail & using chartuse egg head. We had a 5-7 hits, a couple of LDR's(RICH) & 2 landed on that combo. 1 came on a pearl with chartuse & 1 on white & orange Amador Rat. Nothing hit the Rapalas all day. Will post pics tomm.
Good luck out there tomm. Freon & Lisa & anyone else whos going.

fishnphool

Garden_Valley_Fish
03-14-2008, 06:08 AM
It sound like your saying I missed alot of fish ;D ;D ;D

Good times thats for sure and thanks for the ride Ken
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh306/gvfphoto/IM000096.jpg

Why does the fish look small next to Ken :-/

superT
03-14-2008, 07:53 AM
Question for those with a history of fishing Amador. Why is it so slow? Water conditions seem ok, weather has been generally good for the past several weeks. What's going on? My last two trips have been fun but not productive, 2-3 fish a day and long days at that. Tried trolling, banking it etc. If it was just me I'd shug it off but I don't think that's the case.

hoghunter3
03-14-2008, 08:36 AM
Great question superT. I've been fishing Amador a long time and I've never seen a period of time like the last 30 days or so. Still been getting fish but it's been a lot of work and absolutely no 20 - 40 fish days like we are used to.

Freon and I were racking our brains the other night (I know Dennis, not much to work with there) and we couldn't come up with the "answer" He's out there today with a few tricks to try. Maybe one will work.

dave_in_el_dorado
03-14-2008, 08:59 AM
super T, dittos on a great question. *i have the same ? and am interested in answers if there are any........i definitely aint the best fisherman out there, but i had always been able to get more than 1 fish in past years trips....i was out on the 4th from about 0830 to 1630 and was almost skunked for the first time at amador *:-[ , and except for bowmasta havent seen any great reports although his bar appears pretty high *;)

hunkfisher
03-14-2008, 10:51 AM
I am telling you guys the glory days of the trollers are over , us bankies are now the masters of the Amabow ;), Great question wonder the same thing Super T has I have been reading these reports more than my study guides for Mid Terms ;D ;D, Hope I can figure it out leaving Arcata in 35 mins be on the lake in 4 Days!!!! Good Luck to all that brave out onto the pond this weekend.

Brad "Hunkfisher"

Big Ken
03-14-2008, 11:58 AM
Ya I have been accused of MANY things (only a few have been proven) 8-) but being a little guy is not one of them ;D.

Too much good food like we had on the boat yesterday. Thanks Rich good stuff.

fishnphool

YakMotor
03-14-2008, 01:24 PM
They will probably be installing VIP box seating on GSP pretty soon if Bowmasta keeps showing off! *Shot 12:24pm
http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/3528/bomastanetsongsp948le6.jpg

By 12:31pm the guy next to him adds one to his stringer.
http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/7827/gspfishonstringer992od7.jpg

The guy lower left in first photo is working at cleaning at least three on his stringer.

FLASH - TROLLER UPDATE!

freon caught fish! *And Lisa too! *His & Hers stringers whadda pair! *A couple of 'em sworn to be at least 6 pounders. *Wonder who's stringer they're on?

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/2373/freonnlisastringers043vp1.jpg

Here's sign of another successful troller. *I also saw stringers on a couple other boats, but not the fish on them.
http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/6554/inflatablecatch005dt4.jpg

Sometimes heavy cloud cover and breeze made it chilly, but when the sun broke through it sure turned pretty.
http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/8981/lakescenicwclouds057oh7.jpg

SuperDave
03-14-2008, 03:03 PM
Today was a true Amador day! :) 3 of us fished from 7:30 to 1:00, boated 12 and lost at least 6 or 7 more at the net. Only 1 - 2 lbs fish and the rest 3 lbs to 4 lbs with 1 - 5.6 lbs pig. The fishing traffic was non existant. I fished Doney Bay for over an hour and a half with no other boats. Pearl grub with yellow head and pearl grub with orange head were the most productive. 2 fish came on a J-7 blue & silver. I've got a church group meeting this evening so it will likely be tomorrow morning before I can post my pictures. Freon and SilverQueen were also kicking tail and I suspect they will report limits when they get home. It was really a gorgeous day weather wise today and no boats on a Friday. It couldn't have been any better!

TroutWagon
03-14-2008, 03:14 PM
Yakmotor,

the bad weather plays a roll on good trolling days at amador! I have had my best days there to date on days were the weather is changing every hour. good job on the fish and thanks for the pics

Troutwagon

bowmasta
03-14-2008, 03:38 PM
Had a fun day banking it today, ended up landing 8 trout and kept my 5 for limit. *Nothing huge, but a few qaulity fish ( 2-5 lbs ) .. trying to get back out this weekend for some trolling. *Hopefully the bite is picken back up, thats what it seemed like when talken with freon today :-?

dave_in_el_dorado
03-14-2008, 04:25 PM
hey guys...bowmasta, mr. and mrs. freon, and superdave http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i9/jdsmith2/smilies/worthy.gifhttp://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i9/jdsmith2/smilies/worthy.gifhttp://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i9/jdsmith2/smilies/worthy.gif

great going, awesome lookin fish........i was workin and watchin the weather up here in el dorado thinkin what a great day it could have been.....alas..........great pics yak....

Captain Compassion
03-14-2008, 04:44 PM
hey guys...bowmasta, mr. and mrs. freon, and superdave [smiley=worthy.gif] [smiley=worthy.gif] [smiley=worthy.gif]

I certinly second this. I was feeling a little concerned about coming down next week but now I feel much better about it. *8-)

CC

Big Ken
03-14-2008, 04:47 PM
See what happens when you actually LAND the fish RICH.. ;) ;D ;D ;D

freon
03-14-2008, 06:22 PM
See what happens when you actually LAND the fish RICH..

Brutal Ken, true, but brutal *;D
You will notice that I didnt take that bad luck charm out with me and I slayed didnt you *;) * ;D

Lisa and I got eleven in the boat, lost three pigs and we might have to change Lisa's name from the silver queen to green carp as we actually had ten on the stringer and one thrashed so much that it busted open the hook and got off, so we drove around for two hours to get one more and the only fish we got was a green carp, sound familiar Alan and Ron?
We actually had a great time, figured out that my antenane wasnt hooked up to my vhf , that was an easy fix *;)
Our biggest was 5.8 and Lisa got one 5.4, we thought for sure that they would go six, Lisa did end up with five on her stringer to my four though and she didnt have one under four pounds. I actually caught a dfg dink too and chucked it back. Great talking to Dave, Bowmasta and Yak out there today. I will post up some pics later, totally tired today. Lisa had one on that crossed under the boat and wrapped around a downrigger I had down on my side, so I brought it up and pulled the line off, then it wrapped around the main motor, finally got it loose and then it was wrapped around two other lines *>:(
When it was all done, we landed the fish and I was more tired than she was :-/

all fish today put up a great fight, it was like old times, it would take ten minutes to get them to the boat, then the real fight would start, we had quite a few of them jump out of the water repeatedly. :D

That picture of the guy with the inflatible raft is pretty good Yak, his name is Ron and has been fishing this lake longer than most and always does very well. He is used to high numbers like Hog and I and only got seven today himself. He as well questioned the low catch rate and he hasnt had any 20-40 fish days this year either. So now there is one more wondering what is going on with the fish. At least they cooperated some today ;)

Bait of choice today was white or pearl grub with a chartruse head, all fish came on it, toplined ;)

hoghunter3
03-14-2008, 06:29 PM
Congrats Buddy. You"re "back in the saddle".

Think we're going to run up on Sunday. If Ron only got 7 it sure shows things are different. He's a "hammer-time" guy

Garden_Valley_Fish
03-14-2008, 06:58 PM
Freon

Im glad you found a real good luck charm this time ...way to go buddy I was getting woried. ;D

In fact way to go all of you today

tcbritton
03-14-2008, 07:06 PM
I did something I haven't done in two yrs now. I washed my sniffer hat, I know now youve lost all the mojo. Lately I havent had any, besides it smelled of old sweat and no fish... Ill be out with kirk and a new fishermen adofl a great guy to know he owns a transmission shop ;) ;) ;) ;) besides that he,s a awesome cook :D

hunkfisher
03-14-2008, 07:28 PM
Great jobs guys, freon you had me worried but looks like you and lisa put a dent in the cutbow population. Very nice! Can't wait for Tuesday so much so that I am heading out to Pardee tomorrow bright and early, thats right I made it back in one piece, though we did have to drive through snow on the 101. Oh well Great job out there and Yak you know as always great Pics to go with a great day!

Brad "Hunkfisher"

freon
03-14-2008, 07:37 PM
I did something I havent done in two yrs now I washed my sniffer hat

You had me scared there, I thought you were gonna say you finally showered ;D

I am heading out to Pardee tomorrow bright and early

Didnt you read the posts, the fish are all at amador ;) ;D
Congrats on getting back in one piece buddy :D

If Ron only got 7 it sure shows things are different. He's a "hammer-time" guy

Exactly, Hes one of a few that I know of that can really pull some fish out of that lake and they arent the dfg dinks. If you follow that man around all day, you will know the words humility and frustration. Hard to keep pace with him ;)

fishinator
03-14-2008, 08:22 PM
Greta job everyone! looks like things might be getting a little(just a little) better. my boys are on easter break, I hope to get out there this tuesday and see if we can find a ffew fish or just the big one!

fishinator

camotracker
03-14-2008, 08:27 PM
freon, well the skunk you had for a few weeks running is now gone. like i have said in the past. lady luck. you should bring lisa every trip. LOL it seems to be picking up a little. might have to make a trip up there soon.

bowmasta still doing good on the bank. huh. cograts as well

LEO"CAMOTRACKER"

hunkfisher
03-14-2008, 09:21 PM

You had me scared there, I thought you were gonna say you finally showered *;D

I am heading out to Pardee tomorrow bright and early

Didnt you read the posts, the fish are all at amador ;) ;DCongrats on getting back in one piece buddy *:D

If Ron only got 7 it sure shows things are different. He's a "hammer-time" guy

Exactly, Hes one of a few that I know of that can really pull some fish out of that lake and they arent the dfg dinks. * *If you follow that man around all day, you will know the words humility and frustration. Hard to keep pace with him *;)

Hey I'll still be in Amador County ;D, nothing beats amabows but I want a whole day out there! Dads already got me on yard duty, gotta be back early. Work work work [smiley=helmut.gif] [smiley=helmut.gif] [smiley=helmut.gif]

Brad "Hunkfisher"

Big Ken
03-14-2008, 09:39 PM
ok sorry for the delay but here is GVF's6.5 lber
http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/7446/img0543edited600x450wn7.th.jpg (http://img136.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0543edited600x450wn7.jpg)

tcbritton
03-15-2008, 03:11 AM

You had me scared there, I thought you were gonna say you finally showered Grin

Now lets not go to over board its not july yet so Ill hold out on the bath for a few months ;)

cuhogn
03-15-2008, 04:40 AM
Dads already got me on yard duty, gotta be back early. Work work work

Gas money ;) ;D ;D ;D

Glad you got back down safe and good luck at Pardee.

cuhogn
03-15-2008, 04:54 AM
so we drove around for two hours to get one more and the only fish we got was a green carp, sound familiar Alan and Ron?

Yes but your the green carp catcher ;D
Good job out there oh speaking of "sound familiar" hooking up the radio is sort of like forgetting hooking up the "kill switch" ::)

Congrats Buddy. You"re "back in the saddle".

I agree and then you even caught some fish ;D ;D ;D

SuperDave
03-15-2008, 06:49 AM
Some pictures from yesterday.

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/5959/amador3cu8.jpg

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/1451/amador1gc6.jpg

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/6384/amador2pa0.jpg

Mickey_Thomas
03-15-2008, 06:54 AM
Good pic's Dave, I see you're learning the "Mickey pose" pretty good :D Alision still needs some work though ;D ;D Where's Karens fish? :-?

stonesfan
03-15-2008, 07:12 AM
Hey Super Dave, it doesn't hurt to have LONG ARMS..................LOL

Nice looking FISH......................... [smiley=swimmingfish.gif]

stonesfan [smiley=rollingstones.gif]

digger
03-15-2008, 07:31 AM
Nice looking fish SD.

SuperDave
03-15-2008, 07:36 AM
Hey, 1st picture my elbows are tucked and it still looks big. Mick, look at the tail on Allisons fish, it might have been a DFG fish that had been in the lake long enough to get some size.

Mickey_Thomas
03-15-2008, 07:38 AM
Mick, look at the tail on AllisonYou'll have to get her to turn around first Dave ;D ;D ;D I kill me again :o

Blktailhunter
03-15-2008, 08:55 AM
So it looks like the trolling bite might be finally starting. Are they back to the usual pattern, grubs on top? I saw a mention of downriggers. Are they a little deeper and hitting raps? Someone post how they were caught and on what. Please! :) Muchas Gracias.

freon
03-15-2008, 09:07 AM
You'll have to get her to turn around first Dave

Yea, you killed me on that one too *;D
When she sees you at the fest, she might kill you *:o *;D
Nice pics Dave *;)

Good job out there oh speaking of "sound familiar" hooking up the radio is sort of like forgetting hooking up the "kill switch"

No, if you forget to hook up the kill switch, you dont get to fish, if the antenae vibrates loose, you just drive everyone on the lake crazy, sort of like when I let you, Hog or Dennis use the vhf *:o *;D

Now lets not go to over board its not july yet so Ill hold out on the bath for a few months *
;D *;D

Hey I'll still be in Amador County , nothing beats amabows but I want a whole day out there! Dads already got me on yard duty, gotta be back early. Work work work

Glad you made it down safe, hope you slay them at that lake that your slumming it at ;D
Good luck with the yard duty too ;)

Now for some pics:
Our days catch:

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff298/freon1112/1-5.jpg

Sunrise:

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff298/freon1112/2-6.jpg

Bowmasta:

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff298/freon1112/3-7.jpg

SuperDave, Karen and Allison:

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff298/freon1112/7-4.jpg

A Turkey:

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff298/freon1112/9.jpg

An Opsprey

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff298/freon1112/4-7.jpg

Three Otters having fun:

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff298/freon1112/6-5.jpg

Fat and tasty deer *:o *;D

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff298/freon1112/12.jpg

DFG dink:

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff298/freon1112/5-7.jpg

Lisa's specialty, probably gonna get a bruise for this:

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff298/freon1112/11.jpg

freon
03-15-2008, 09:08 AM
BTH, all fish were caught with grubs on top ;)

SuperDave
03-15-2008, 10:02 AM
It was overcast yesterday and we caught fish both on the top and 7' - 8' on the rigger. The water temp. was 58 - 59 degrees so another week or two and split shot might be in order.

James, nice pictures. You've got some smoking to do!

hunkfisher
03-15-2008, 12:51 PM
Gas Money is right i need a student loan to pay for gas here and back lol, Freon nice wit and great pics always get a kick outta it, slumming huh. Well I saw the dock lights of Amador as I drove to pardee, really considered it but ill wait a few more days, shoot i ve waited 2 months already ;D. Great Pics Super Dave now just hold them out a bit further ;)

Brad "Hunkfisher"

YakMotor
03-15-2008, 01:31 PM
Nice shots freon! * That must be your "good luck" deer herd.

1pm REPORT

tcbritton, kirk, and adolf trolling back to the ramp ... so far four for the day. *
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/1408/tcbrittonncrewcatch112dq2.jpg

Said they'd have boated more if their hooks were better. *White power grubs with a char-truse power egg topping the hook trolled on the surface at 1 mph as close to shore as possible.

cuhogn and Ron are still out there reporting about an hour ago of 7 to the boat.

tcbritton
03-15-2008, 03:16 PM
good day on the water we caught four as yaks photo shows two are mine. The big two that is...... but all in all we had a great day we solved all are personal and world problems, drank some wobble pops caught some fish trade insults with Cuhogn and Ron, as they know they cheated and bought their fish at safeway [smiley=hypnodisk.gif] ;) [smiley=hypnodisk.gif]

YakMotor
03-15-2008, 03:54 PM
Caught TWO pair of "flashers" this afternoon!
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/1777/cuhognronstrout336bm1.jpg

No tricks or overlays on this one. *I think there was a third immature bird (dark head) flying with 'em.
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/9566/eaglesbif282ue8.jpg

RonM
03-15-2008, 04:34 PM
Driving home right now so this will be short. Good day with Cuhogn today, 7 fish to the boat. Almost had three doubles with one of them almost being a triple. Lost a few and missed several. Largest was 4lb 14oz.

Manteca Steve
03-15-2008, 04:35 PM
Hey Folks
Glad to see you guys had a good day out there.Way to go!
Freon love your humor! ;D

freon
03-15-2008, 05:21 PM
good day on the water we caught four as yaks photo shows two are mine.

How nice of you to let other guys hold your fish for the photograph :o ;D

Good day today with 7 to the boat

Gee Ron, all I see are two small ones, where did you hide the big ones?
CC must have eaten them ;) ;D

glad to see that all of you got into them today, Lisa and I might end up out there again tomorrow, not sure yet though.

Yak, awesome pics of the eagles buddy, I got one glimpse of them yesterday, but they were pretty far away. :D

cuhogn
03-15-2008, 05:37 PM
Another great day fishing with Ron and ribbing TC. white or pearl grubs with green power eggs was the only thing they would hit. Started out in Donney Ron caught a DFG planter that was bleeding bad, so we kept it, and then had a few boats squeeze in so we headed for Rock and made a pass through there with no action. Headed back out into Jackson and TC just kept telling us he was getting hits but nothing to the boat, headed up Jackson and then back down to the point by Donney and we connected with double # 2 and 3 in the box. TC kept claiming hits so as he got closer convinced him to put the hooks on ;) and what do you know they had 1 on.
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii39/cuhogn/tchookedup.jpg
Then it started interesting , I guess they thought they were in a 20' boat but TC decided he would do a little dance and almost got his bath for the day ::)
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii39/cuhogn/tcdance.jpg
Worked the area some more but nothing would hit for us so we headed to Cat, 1st pass we get a double with a 3rd hitting another line but not sticking 8-), the Ron picks up a single, then a triple no that's just TC coming around the corner to see where Safeway is ;D. I picked up another 1 and that was going to be the last one to the boat for the day for us. Had quite a few hits with 3 that were on then off and 1 SDR. TC and crew picked up 2 more and then had a good 1 on but netting the fish wasn't to be. So I got ready to send over the 1st mate in case there happened to be another suicide fish, I mean hungry fish in their area.
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii39/cuhogn/ccnetting.jpg

Couple of shots back at the cleaning station.
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii39/cuhogn/the7.jpg
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii39/cuhogn/ronand7.jpg
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii39/cuhogn/cleaning.jpg

YakMotor
03-15-2008, 06:05 PM
On my afternoon excursion to neighbor's decks I watched for fish catching activity, and got one shot of a nice sized crappie taken off the fishing dock, but it was late and shadow blocked my view of the many *folks along the dam. *Wind was brisk and suspect it drove off anyone not dressed for it. *Did see one young family on the spillway and caught sight of a VERY NICE trout they'd landed.
http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/6896/famiklytroutonspillway1hk6.jpg

From HUGE and high flying eagles to tiny only a foot from my camera and face.
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/9269/hummonfinger408xo0.jpg

Dennis
03-15-2008, 06:37 PM
Yak,
That's a pretty cool little buddy you got there! Nice photo!

YakMotor
03-15-2008, 07:21 PM
Thanks! A couple of the females have become very trusting, but the male who stands guard over "HIS" feeder is still wary. Usually he tries to suck a gulp over or under the finger that's getting in his way. Yesterday he lit and fed a couple times once folding his wings rather than doing a standing hover. I'm surprised the flash so close doesn't bother them much. Wouldn't call 'em tame just in the habit of using the feeder and with an attitude an old fart's not gonna stop 'em. My trick was to take off the other three "flowers" on the feeder and plug the holes.

freon
03-15-2008, 08:22 PM
My trick was to take off the other three "flowers" on the feeder and plug the holes.

Welcome to the world of animal training Yak, sounds like you already have it mastered. they say you can lead a horse to water, but you cant make him drink, I say, you hold him away from water for a few days and he will suck up water like a hurricane headed to maimi *;)
Glad to see that your torture training is going off without a hitch *;) *;D
by the way, great pics once again *:D

Couple of shots back at the cleaning station.

Alan, how nice of you to invent a device that will hold the fish in front of you at the cleaning statin so that you know you still have a bunch of fish left to clean, what an ingenious idea ;)
Also ingenious was the way you conned Ron into cleaning them all *;) *;D
Glad you guys nailed them and tortured TC, I am surprised that you didnt have donut holes coming across your bow though *;D
any idea why CC is chewing on your net handle?

TC, stop dancing in that boat, it makes the hummingbirds nervous, probably the rest of us too *:o *;D

tyeroflies
03-16-2008, 07:27 AM
Way to get a few Alan and Ron. Good to see some fish being caught. Can't wait to get back up there.

blademoto
03-16-2008, 11:43 AM
Thinkin of getting out to Amador on Monday. Haven't see alot of posts lately as to what is working out there and I have not been out there for about a month..... Any pointers?

gotta_go_now
03-16-2008, 02:16 PM
Got out today w/my boat partner and our boys. *Chris ended up with a 6 to 7 lbs big mouth for the first fish boated, again goes to show they will eat anything...top lined pearl wht grub w/Chartreuse Egg. *Picked up two more up top w/the pearl green combo. * :-?

The boys decided they were tired of the boat about 10:30 so we planted ourselves at the point of Rock Creek and Doney. *I ended up with a 2 to 2.5 lbs Crappie and to end the festivities, Chris ended with a 5.5-6.0 lbs Amabow on his trusty black/gold speck Panther Martin. * 8-) ;)

A bit breezey today, but a decent day overall. *Freon, great to finally meet a legend on these boards.

I'll post picks a bit later.

freon
03-16-2008, 02:41 PM
Lisa and I hit the water around six thirty and fished until twelve thirty, started off a little windy and we promptly put five trout in the boat, then the wind storm set in blew us everywhere. white grubs with chartruse heads got all of our fish, usual pattern. *Good to meet you out there too GTN *;)
We had all five of our fish by eight. They fought like crazy, when we were headed in and decided to put them in a bag, one flopped at just the wrong time and slapped Lisa across her face, she was happy to see that one get fileted *;D

Lisa, with the days take:

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff298/freon1112/4-8.jpg

the water first thing in the morning:

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff298/freon1112/2-7.jpg

Got to Go and his crew:

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff298/freon1112/3-8.jpg

Sheep, noonish:

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff298/freon1112/1-6.jpg

blademoto
03-16-2008, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the info... Dad and I will be headin out there at first light tomorrow.. I hope this wind settles a bit!! Any fishers gonna be out there?

superT
03-17-2008, 07:08 AM
Freon, glad to see you're catching fish again. Several days ago I posted a question asking why the fishing had been so slow. I'll likely never know, but that's fishing. Still It drives me crazy and the thing is I wouldn't have it any other way. How dumb is that?

Dennis
03-17-2008, 07:26 AM
Freon, glad to see you're catching fish again
The truth is that Lisa is the lucky one. She's either catching em or bringing Freezon some luck.

Without her he's nothing! :D

captainart
03-17-2008, 07:29 AM
this is my first post. caught these on 3/8. fished carson arm off bank with powerbait. largest fish was 4.6 lbs smallest was 3.2 lbs! also saw a guy pull in an 8.5 lb largemouth off a swimbait. can't wait to head out this weekend!

Captain Compassion
03-17-2008, 07:44 AM
this is my first post. caught these on 3/8. fished carson arm off bank with powerbait. largest fish was 4.6 lbs smallest was 3.2 lbs! also saw a guy pull in an 8.5 lb largemouth off a swimbait. can't wait to head out this weekend!

Welcome to the board. We on the trout board don't call them largemouth bass but green carp. ;D Going there on Friday for the first time in over 30 years. I'm pumped. 8-)

CC

captainart
03-17-2008, 07:58 AM
weird, my picture did not show on my post.

RonM
03-17-2008, 08:11 AM
weird, my picture did not show on my post.

Doesn't look like you provided a link to the pictures. Take a look at these links for information.

Pic posting Info (http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?num=1199032800)

Pic posting Info 2 (http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?num=1099806237)

Trout_Terminator
03-17-2008, 11:21 AM
sweet guys, going up on Tuesday, and if Tuesday is productive, i will be going up on Wednesday as well ;D. Hope too see some of you guys and gals out there. going to be hitting up GSP (thanks to bowmasta for the help with the info, i actually know what i am doin ;D).

-TT

freon
03-17-2008, 11:30 AM
All I know is that she brings me a lot more luck than you do buddy, when we fish together, it storms and pours rain, when Lisa and I fish, its sunny and most of the time with out wind. It gets real windy everytime I fish with you and Rich :o ;D

Congrats on a good trip out there CA. Welcome to the boards :D

thirty years CC? I have been fishing there for twenty, no wonder I havent met you yet ;D
Good luck out there ;)

ST, my best guess is the water temps are keeping them down and since it is cooler, they are sluggish to eat. I as well think that with the warmer temps lately, we are starting to see a better bite. Who knows for sure though :-/

blademoto
03-17-2008, 01:00 PM
Well..Dad and I hooked up four large ones today. All on Rapalas. Had to really work for them today. The bad news, if anyone sees a stringer with four fishing swimming in unison. Those would be are fish. Hehee.. Stringer some how got unhooked from the boat. (dad swears it was secure) Ahh..what the heck, it was fun catching them!

Captain Compassion
03-17-2008, 03:10 PM
thirty years CC? I have been fishing there for twenty, no wonder I havent met you yet *;D
Good luck out there *;)

The spring of 1974 actually. Before Amabows but a great fishing day. I fished off a spillway and caught dinner plate sized bluegill until my arms nearly fell off. Can't wait to get back there again.

CC

Irish
03-17-2008, 04:09 PM
CC
I thought you were talking about the Rock Concert in 1969 :D

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff203/The_ragamuffin/Poster5.jpg

Captain Compassion
03-17-2008, 04:55 PM
CC
I thought you were talking about the Rock Concert in 1969 :D

Man I would have gone to that one. Taj Mahal, Santana and John Fahey. Man that's rightious. At that time unfortunately I was out of the country working for LBJ and the Navy. The last great concert I went to was Monterey in 1967. My last Hippy summer. [smiley=hippie.gif]

CC

hunkfisher
03-17-2008, 05:02 PM
CC sounds like your ready for our trip on friday send me a PM with times and meeting places if you want or ill send you one, anyways TT Ill see you out there tomorrow its been 10 weeks since I last tussled with Amabows now I have 13 hours 10 mins and 27 seconds till me and my tube are out there, ill be hanging near the ramp and dam with both my fly rod and spinning gear, might venture over to GSP to get my bearings on the local and to Pick TT brain for info from bowmasta.

Brad "Hunkfisher"

Captain Compassion
03-17-2008, 05:43 PM
CC sounds like your ready for our trip on friday send me a PM with times and meeting places if you want or ill send you one,

You better set the logistics Hunk. It's been a few years and things might have changed. ::) What bait should I bring. When and where. You set the time and place and I'll be there. I collected cans along US 395 for two months just so I could afford the gas. Excited is an understatement. [smiley=excited.gif]

CC

fishinator
03-17-2008, 07:22 PM
Well, it looks like my boys and I are gonna make it out in the morning. need to check out the fish bite and lake conditions ;D GOTTA do my homework for the fest :P Plus I want to see if that 10 lber is still tied to the secret spot i put him ;)

fishinator

hunkfisher
03-17-2008, 08:25 PM
Alright CC check your PMs, I know tell me about it gas=rediculous i might actually listen to some of my greener friends up at HSU and go with biodiesel. Phil see you out there tomorrow, Only 9 hours 38 mins to go! Alan thanks for the info my legs are going to hurt kicking that far but ill manage.

Brad "Hunkfisher"

Trout_Terminator
03-17-2008, 08:56 PM
yea, ill probably be there at like noon ;D

hunkfisher
03-18-2008, 04:14 AM
Man oh man only 1 hour 50 mins [smiley=banana.gif] [smiley=banana.gif] [smiley=bananachaga.gif] [smiley=bananachaga.gif] [smiley=bananacheese.gif] [smiley=bananacheese.gif] [smiley=bananasplits.gif] [smiley=bananasplits.gif] [smiley=bananatiedie.gif] [smiley=bananatiedie.gif] [smiley=bunny.gif] [smiley=bunny.gif] [smiley=cheerleader.gif] [smiley=cheerleader.gif] [smiley=clappingcheesehead.gif] [smiley=clappingcheesehead.gif] [smiley=dancingorange.gif] [smiley=dancingorange.gif] [smiley=elephant.gif] [smiley=elephant.gif] [smiley=elmo.gif] [smiley=elmo.gif] [smiley=excited.gif] [smiley=excited.gif] [smiley=excited.gif], I think that about sums it up hahahaha

Brad "Hunkfisher"

garrett_s
03-18-2008, 05:40 AM
hey Hunkfisher you have been waithing for this for a couple weeks there better be a report with pics ;D J/K

captainart
03-18-2008, 06:40 AM
http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/893/dsc01061xp7.jpg

thanks again for the help on downloading pictures. i hope i did it right!

freon
03-18-2008, 06:43 AM
CA, very nice stringer, congrats on the great day out there ;)

Trout_Terminator
03-18-2008, 08:35 AM
lol, only 1 hour and 20min for me aswell ;D

CAROLINASKIFF
03-18-2008, 10:42 AM
Need help with determining line distance trolling, how do you measure it.
Can I put paint on the line say 100 ft :-/ 120ft ?? woluld like to be consistant.
Please Help

SuperDave
03-18-2008, 10:54 AM
Need help with determining line distance trolling, how do you measure it.
Can I put paint on the line say 100 ft *:-/ 120ft ?? * woluld like to be consistant. * *
Please Help

NO PAINT! Do you have a levelwind reel or spinning reel? If you have a levelwind reel, measure the length of one complete pass of the line from one side of the spool to the other and then just count passes. If you have a spinning reel, measure the length from one pull of the line from the spool to the first rod eye. Then count pulls.

SuperDave
03-18-2008, 10:55 AM
http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/4987/dsc01062kz0.th.jpg (http://img522.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc01062kz0.jpg)

thanks again for the help on downloading pictures. i hope i did it right!

Captain, if you resize your picture before you host it to a max of 450 pixels wide, you won't have to use the thumbnail code and you'll get a picture that more fills the screen.

bowmasta
03-18-2008, 11:50 AM
TT and Hunk, hope you guys hammer em today, I wont be out till thursday... let me know how you guys do 8-)