PDA

View Full Version : where do the river trout go?

pappy_fish
03-24-2008, 11:52 AM
i fished one favorvite of my rivers, where in the summer i can catch a dozen or more fish in a trip. well i went this weekend and i didnt catch anything and didnt even see a fish :o, when i can see them in warmer weather. where they go???

billfisher
03-24-2008, 01:34 PM
As a general rule in the winter the rivers are colder and have more water in them (causing a heavier current). Since the water is colder the fish are less active and they need to look for the places where the current is weaker so they can hold with less effort. You are less likely to see them because often the water is less clear and they are holding near the bottom of the larger pools and near or under the banks. The water moves more slowly near the bottom and the banks because of the rocks and the general resistance cause by the bottom and banks. If fish are there (i.e the place you are fishing is not just populated by the fish that are stocked during the spring and summer) then fish as slowly and as thoroughly as possible along the bottom, near the banks and around the bigger obstacles (boulders) where the strength of the current is also reduced. You need to be persistent because the fish are likely to just be much less active.

-king_fisher-
03-24-2008, 03:14 PM
actually trout are really active in cold water because cold water holds oxygen much better than warm water does. they're still there, you might've just had a bad luck day.

fishwish
03-24-2008, 03:33 PM
What river? DFG probably dumps a lot stockers into it. Also, it seems to me, when water is really cold, trout aren't quite the predators out on the hunt. they're more opportunistic, like OK since you put it right there, how can I resist. You must fish longer and harder for fewer fish.

pappy_fish
03-24-2008, 03:43 PM
i fish the amercians above 49, now thats its legal. all the places i have found that i usually fish in the late spring to fall, the fishing drops big time during the winter, i usually see them at the good times of the year, yes, the water is clear enought to see them right now, i dont even see any get spooked as i move up or down river. i think thier hiding.

mrsockeye
03-24-2008, 04:34 PM
I'm not familiar with that stretch of river. If it is stocked, there are no stockers present currently. I disagree that trout are "quite active" in colder water. They are still feeding, but they feed much less becuase they are cold blooded. Their metabolic needs don't dictate that they eat. I agree that you will have to fish more, and you will likely catch less. You may also consider switching tactics, night crawlers and salmon eggs catch planters. Holdover and wild fish aren't very interested in those offerings.

troutndeer
03-24-2008, 08:09 PM
I will be fishing above there tomorrow, Il give a report when I get back.

epzamora
03-25-2008, 12:19 AM
yes, trout like cold water. and they can be active, but there are various levels of "cold water," a window where they are "active. in the winter when it drops below that window, their metabolism slows down, they hunker down deep as written earlier and they must conserve their body energy. you have to place something for them to eat right in front of their noses since they won't move much. this is for self-sustaining populations.

now if your water body is dependent on stocked fish, they may no longer be there, having been caught or simply not survived.

no expert but this is what is generally seen as common wisdom in my world.

eric
fresno, ca.

troutndeer
03-25-2008, 02:49 PM
I saw a few good fish today, had a real good chaser. Id say about 2 more weeks and it will be good.

GCinGV
03-26-2008, 04:28 AM
Troutndeer,
Did you happen to check the water temps?
Gary

*Deltadog*
03-27-2008, 06:52 AM
As a general rule in the winter the rivers are colder and have more water in them (causing a heavier current). Since the water is colder the fish are less active and they need to look for the places where the current is weaker so they can hold with less effort. *You are less likely to see them because often the water is less clear and they are holding near the bottom of the larger pools and near or under the banks. The water moves more slowly near the bottom and the banks because of the rocks and the general resistance cause by the bottom and banks. If fish are there (i.e the place you are fishing is not just populated by the fish that are stocked during the spring and summer) then fish as slowly and as thoroughly as possible along the bottom, near the banks and around the bigger obstacles (boulders) where the strength of the current is also reduced. You need to be persistent because the fish are likely to just be much less active.
I always thought as a rule (unless immediately after a rain storm of course) the winter water level is always lower. It is higher in the spring/summer due to snow melt.
* Dog

GCinGV
03-27-2008, 07:43 PM
Took the Grandkids to Lotus Park today. Didnít wet a line but checked the water temp at 48 degrees. The temps have been slowly moving up from the low 40s a month ago. Should be warm enough to spark some action. Iíve read that the Bows start staging to spawn at about 46 or so.
One thing Iíve found about the South Fork is it seems like the bite completely shuts down when the water comes up and you have to catch it when itís low. The flows are regulated to accommodate the rafting concessions and fluctuate drastically on a daily and weekly basis throughout the year. Summer flows last year ranged from around 200 cfs in the evening from about 5 pm to 7 am, to about 2500 during the day for most of the season. Most of this winter, flows were about 2 to 400 all week and about 1200 during the day on weekends only. The way they regulate the flows on the South Fork itís a miracle any fish can effectively spawn at all and maybe they donít.
Hereís a link for the flows.
http://www.raftsiberia.com/flows/
Gary

johnbfishin
03-27-2008, 10:15 PM
I think one should throw food source into the equation. There is always minnows for them to chase but untill the little critters that they like to eat start to show in the spring, they hold pretty tight to conserve energy.
My $.02. 8-)

*Deltadog*
03-28-2008, 06:59 AM
I think one should throw food source into the equation. There is always minnows for them to chase but untill the little critters that they like to eat start to show in the spring, they hold pretty tight to conserve energy.
My $.02. 8-)
Right you are John, hey I think I know exactly where your signature pic is from. Somewhere on the Upper Mokelumne am I right?

The_Big_Sinus
03-28-2008, 03:38 PM
This time of year-- I would be looking for resident trout in the tails of pools with fine gravel on the bottom... They are doin' it. Use eggs.

Jeff213
03-28-2008, 04:24 PM
You may also consider switching tactics, night crawlers and salmon eggs catch planters. Holdover and wild fish aren't very interested in those offerings.

I catch wild trout in the Mokelumne (catch and release) all the time on night crawlers and salmon eggs... Not just hold over trout, but truly stream born wild trout. I'll have to disagree with this comment.

You might want to try finding the deepest hole you can and drifting the bait with a tiny splitshot and a barbless hook through that hole on the bottom. This technique catches a lot of suckerfish too along with the wild trout for me.

johnbfishin
03-28-2008, 07:19 PM
My $.02. 8-)
Right you are John, hey I think I know exactly where your signature pic is from. Somewhere on the Upper Mokelumne am I right?

You're right DeltaDog it could be the upper reaches of any river. But that pic was taken on the Middle Fork of the American.....all wild fish and yup, there's a crawler on the other end of that line. ;) 8-)

In fact my daughter has a 3.5lb brown mounted on her wall.....nuff said? ;) :D

pappy_fish
03-29-2008, 07:38 AM
you cant use any baits this time a year above hiway 49. its artificail lures with barabless hooks until end of april.