PDA

View Full Version : Baker's Dozen at Pyramid

drstressor
03-27-2008, 08:25 PM
Mr. Ed and I fished the lake this afternoon to see what the fish were up to prior to Pyramidfest. We fished from 12:30 until 4:00 and concentrated on the spawners on the West side from the North Nets to Pelican. We ended up with 13 to the boat including 3 over 24 inches including this skinny female

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/8831/henhw5.jpg

and this football shaped male.

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/9940/malemo5.jpg

As is typical this time of year, red or day-glo orange were very effective colors for catching spawning fish. The males aggressively attack any smaller red male and the females are looking for bright red males as a sign of good body condition. I stuck with that orange/gold Lyman and had to catch 11 of the 13 myself. Ed of course, couldn't stop changing lures and colors and only brought 2 to the boat. Both were on a (you guessed it) Bite Me II special (red spoon with black dots). He did get a couple of hard hits, but nothing stuck until he changed to hook to a single siwash.

We ran into Hetchy and his brother on the water and back on shore:

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/9569/hetchyplusbe3.jpg

All in all, it was a beautiful day on the water. The pelicans are migrating back in good numbers and it really is starting to look like Spring except for the unseasonably cold water temperature of 44 degrees.

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/4485/pelicanys7.jpg

The shore fishermen around Pelican were catching obscene numbers of fish using either bead head nymphs under strike indicators or black marabou jigs. Nobody seems to be enforcing the 500 ft from the dock rule.

vvbob
03-27-2008, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the recon Doc. Jim & I will be up Tuesday to do a little pre fest scouting ourselves 8-)

Captain Compassion
03-27-2008, 08:43 PM
Mr. Ed and I fished the lake this afternoon to see what the fish were up to prior to Pyramidfest. *

Thanks guys. It's a tough job but someone has to do it. ;D Nice pictures and fish. This helps.

CC

gonfishin
03-27-2008, 09:08 PM
I thought North Nets was closed?

Mr_Ed
03-27-2008, 10:12 PM
You can fish the nets, you just have to be 1,000 feet out from the beach , from the south nets all the way to *the north end of Sutcliffe!!
The Rangers can use glasses from their trailer and the North office to
check on you.

Pelican for some reason is only 500 feet from the dock, both sides and out. *Still no signs.............. :o

Fishing is a lot better now than two weeks ago, even though the water is still cold, for this time of year, c/o shallower waters.

We never went slower than 2.6mph all day, so we can not report how
the flat fish or slow spoon bite was like etc.......

Noon and 2:30 were the prime times, or we just happened to be in the right spots at those times ??

Later *Ed

fishwish
03-28-2008, 06:46 AM
The shore fishermen around Pelican were catching obscene numbers of fish using either bead head nymphs under strike indicators or black marabou jigs.

HMMMMM? :-? :-? :-? very tempting
Thanks for the report and pics DOC. *Beautiful fish

troutfan
03-28-2008, 07:54 AM
Nice pics and report guys. Hey Ed you need to relax and give the lure a chance or just go straight to the secret weapon! ;) ;D ;D

CHICKFISHING58
03-28-2008, 07:57 AM
Doc,
Iím glad that you and Ed had a chance to get out a big difference from Florida hope you had your long johns on. [smiley=cold.gif] ;D

Iím taking my nephew and 2 of his friends out on Sat [smiley=nerves.gif]

Hey do you know if they are 15 and 16 do they need to wear there life jackets all the time [smiley=question.gif]

Ed,
I bet you werenít using a downrigger either [smiley=spongebob.gif]

Mr_Ed
03-28-2008, 08:03 AM
Troutfan;

Doc really thinks I'm nuts, when I take off lures that catch fish and then
I put on something different.

Actually I was testing what weights,lures and colors would work for the fest. If they don't get a bump in 20 minutes they are history.

Wouldn't you rather have 5 lures that worked instead of just two ??

So far covering water at 2.6mph plus seems the way to go to find
the fish. *Then maybe go to the slow troll in the area?

Speed,set back, weights,lures,color,hook style etc all play a part.

Chick, you know me, "No stinking D/R's", unless it is really a tuff bite
even though Doc has 2 electrics.

Ed

troutfan
03-28-2008, 08:22 AM
Troutfan;

Doc really thinks I'm nuts, when I take off lures that catch fish and then
I put on something different.

Actually I was testing what weights,lures and colors would work for the fest. If they don't get a bump in 20 minutes they are history.

Wouldn't you rather have 5 lures that worked instead of just two ??

So far covering water at 2.6mph plus seems the way to go to find
the fish. *Then maybe go to the slow troll in the area?

Speed,set back, weights,lures,color,hook style etc all play a part.

Ed

Thanks for the info Ed but to answer your question I've always used one or two lures for a whole day. If I have a lure I trust for the conditions I figure I just need to find the fish. We've both caught plenty of big Cutts so I guess either way works. ;) Doc thinks you're nuts huh? Hmmmm ;D

AllFishNoWork
03-28-2008, 08:26 AM
Very nice Doc and Ed! Looks like next week should be good to go.