PDA

View Full Version : Trolling

Valley_Fly_Man
03-26-2008, 09:15 AM
New to trolling I have been spending all my time and lack of money on fly fishing and like equipment. I have a decent boat 14' Mirro Craft w/35hp Mercury no trolling motor yet!!! I also just aquired 2 Cannon Lake Troll down riggers and a Humminbird 565 fish finder. What my question is what is the best and most reliable rods and tackel for trolling in the Sierra Nevada lakes like lake Alpine, Spicer Res, Utica and Union res, Melones and Pedro any tips and info are greatly app.

VFM

Fishing_Fanatic
03-26-2008, 09:48 AM
Valley Fly Man...

I was in the same position as you about 5 years ago... Hopefully you can shave some time off of the learning curve by getting steered to some great resources EARLY ON....

First, try the Trout FAQ section in the top section of this board... There are many articles that have good info on trout techniques (various trolling methods, lures, what works on certain lakes... etc, etc..)
Also look at the same section in the Kokanee/Salmon Board... there is probably more good info on trolling in that section than in the Trout FAQ...

I personally like "kokanee" rods.. these are extremely lightweight, fast action rods used with level-wind reels.. You will find that when trolling you generate more line-twist and level-wind reels have less line twist than spinning reels... Of course there are many favorite brands of reels but Shimano reels are well made and have excellent warranty and support.

You don't have to spend the top dollar on the rods or the reels.. most of the manufacturers support a range of products from very reasonable to top of the line. Last spring I bought a Lamiglas Rock Creek line kokanee rod for $59.99 and the store owner gave me a discounted new Shimano reel for $59.99 and.... A pretty good setup for $120..

Also check the fishing shows for some great deals as well.

A couple of other good resources are: Sep Hendricksons book on Trolling tips... you can find it at most fishing stores or order it online... For about $15 this will give you valueable insights on trolling that will save you hundreds of hours of trying to learn this yourself..

Also for about $15, Gary Miralles at Shasta Tackle, sells a video-tape that goes through all the different trolling techniques and I found that pretty helpful.

And last, consider going out with a guide one time to learn from them... I always learn alot when I am out with one of the pros...

Best of luck and tight lines!!

Fisher King

Flycanoe
03-26-2008, 11:29 AM
You don't have to get new rods to get started. I troll with my 5wt fly rod both top lining with a sinking line and on the downrigger with a mono line. Works very well for me as I love fighting fish on my 5wt. *

arima_fan
03-26-2008, 12:36 PM
Just experiment with different set ups before buying. I know it could be difficult, but maybe a friend can let you use some gear or a fellow sniffer can go fishing w/you and let you try their stuff.
I have a couple of set ups and they work good.
Vance light spiral rod w/ Daiwa SG27 line counter.
Abu Garcia medium action w/Abu Garcia 6500 C3 for salmon/steelh./macks/striper.
Also have used for trout my 6'6" Fenwick HMX w/6500 reel and works fine also.

The Reel Deal
03-26-2008, 12:50 PM
Cabelas has a decent sale going on right now.
I just picked this combo up yesterday for a spare trolling setup:

29 bucks for the reel with built in linecounter:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/purchase/products-found.jsp?_requestid=61673

80 dollar rod for 40 bucks
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/purchase/products-found.jsp?_requestid=61762

good combo for 70 bucks.

Troutoholic
03-26-2008, 10:12 PM
http://fishermanswarehouse.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=3259
and this agility rod(casting style) in ultralight...
http://fishermanswarehouse.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1867
- That is the reel and rod i use and it is a outstanding set up.... but i enjoy ultra light soo it works real well for me, you can go a little heavier on this but usually six lb on top of backing... with a 4lb leader... hope that helps :)- TK

Troutoholic
03-26-2008, 10:19 PM
the rod used to be called intrepid but they have changed the name around a few times...

Valley_Fly_Man
03-27-2008, 07:31 AM
Thank you all for the info. I will be at Cabelas April 4th and Iwill def check out those rods and reels. My big concern is trolling with a 2 stroke outboard 35hp Merc. I know 2 strokes are engines that prefer to be wide open most of the time it is a 70's motor my buddy works on it for me and yes he is a certified Mercury mechanic and he has done compression test and full maint on it and he said it is tip top so should i troll with it or just spend a few hundred dollars and get a desent trolling motor??? :-?

Berryessa Kid
03-27-2008, 07:58 AM
You might want to think of getting a trolling plate. Nothing plastic Aluminum is better. A trolling motor is probably best but until then the plate will work, plus it will always be there in case of a trolling motor failure or windy situations etc. After extended periods of trolling with your big motor it may load up with carbon and it may troll to fast forcing you to pull a sock or drilled out bucket or something. I know one thing trolling is fun fishing and i think your going to like it :) Have fun ;)

arima_fan
03-27-2008, 07:59 AM
Unless you are thinking electric it would be more than a few hundred dollars, more like a couple of thousand.
But you can also use a trolling plate on the existing engine.

Valley_Fly_Man
03-27-2008, 08:07 AM
Yah I was thinking electric because my motor idels at 4mph on gps and speedo so I might try a trolling plate first then spend $200 on a elcetric trolling motor. Would rather spend that money on rods and luers ;)

iron-man
03-27-2008, 08:24 AM
Valley F M check your PM

nelson_W
03-27-2008, 08:32 AM
Try a #3 sink line and drift with the wind with your motor off